Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a run flat a special tire? I need to purchase snow tires on my 2019 and possibly a spare cause this no spare thing has me confused. Are these different than any other tire?

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
Yes, a run flat tire is special Kris. It has a much stronger inner structure to allow it to run when flat. That’s one of the reasons they’re more expensive than conventional tires, and also why they tend to be louder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! So, how do u know you have a flat tire if it doesn’t go flat before it’s to late? Do they sell donut spares for MB?

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
The TPMS will signal a tire pressure loss in the display. That's your warning to slow down and drive no more than 50 miles to a place you can replace the tire. That leaves a lot of places that are too far away to help. But at least you can get to safety. Unless you hit something hard and blow out the sidewall, in which car you're stuck.

Replace the tire? Yes, run flats can not be repaired. And they are more expensive. And they don't handle as well. And they emit more road noise. And they can cause a rougher ride. It's up to the individual whether they are worth it or not. I carry a small pump, a can of fix-a-flat, and a tire plug kit instead.

The one tire problem we had was on a road trip. A road colored insulator caused a sidewall blowout. That was 50 miles from the nearest town. That's why I have AAA with their extended tow option.

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
Yes, there's a spare tire, jack, etc. you can procure. However if you have the premium sound option you won't be able to fit a donut spare under the rear cover. A jack and lug wrench will fit beneath.
Oh, and given lug bolts (vs. American lug nuts) it's also a good idea to get a "lug hanger" which supports the wheel as you remove the last of the lug bolts.

As Wayne cites many vehicles without runflats/spare carry a 12V inflator and can of tire "goop" sealant which works reasonably well to get you to a shop. But these days I more rely on AAA as well as it's just too dangerous to change a tire by the side of ever busier roads.

See this thread for spare tire etc. discussion: Spare tire and tire kit for GLA250 4matic

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much!! All questions have been answered. Including my rough ride questions. I learn something new with this car everyday!!😂

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Huey52 made an excellent point regarding the lug hanger. I carry two for the road as well as having two in my garage (for doing rotations). Two will fully align the wheel and stop the wheel from rotating and damaging a caliper. And while it can be hard to align the wheel to the lug hangers when reinstalling, it is near to impossible to hold the wheel in position by yourself and get the lugs started.

But what Huey52 reminded me of is the wheel stick problem. Even with anti seize on the hub I still need to use a dead blow hammer to remove my wheels. They will not simply pull off. They must be hit to release. If you are going to swap wheels while parked on the shoulder you will want to be able to remove the wheel!!!

You also will want a board or something to stabilize the bottom of the jack.

And perhaps the rubber pucks that mount into the lifting points to hold the top of the jack in place.

And a torque wrench for reassembly.

A tarp to lay on. A flashlight. Disposable gloves. Hand cleaner and rags. A refuse bag. A change of clothes. A sheet to cover the seat when you drive away.

And so the list expands ...

·
622 Posts
Just have roadside coverage and call their number. You sat in the car relax and stay clean.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
Wayne‘s list reminds me of the children’s story with two monkeys going on a camping trip. One includes so many items he ultimately can’t go. The other just a few essentials and he’s on his way. ;)
But in a former Jeep I’m guilty of loading up for every possible contingency; most items never used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand though. I really am leaning toward normal tires. Either way, I am always more than 50 miles away from a tire store. I do have roadside with my insurance Co so all good there. If my ride is smoother and quieter, then I’m game. I have to do two sets. Winter and summer.

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
Yes Kris, many folks swap out runflats for the somewhat more comfortable & quiet ride of standard tires. An 18" rim is also a good choice as the tire will have a taller profile, again promoting comfort (and a bit more Winter pothole protection).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just to make a case for run flats – yes, like everyone has mentioned they are a bit harsh, especially on a 4-matic, but given the right manufacturer (I have Bridgestone’s) it’s tolerable. And I have roadside, and although I could, I have no desire to change tires anymore.

About 100 miles from home, I was forced of the highway onto the shoulder by a truck avoiding a palette of bricks that came loose from the truck ahead of it. I hit said bricks with the passenger side, but recovered. Front wheel took a hard hit, felt as if I may have messed up the alignment, and about half a mile later (at 65 mph) dash message said “tire failure, immediate attention required”.

I was in the middle of nowhere mountains of North Carolina, and pulled off at the next “town” (population: 45) pulled into a church parking lot and found a hole in the tire sidewall the size of a brick – I could literally reach inside the tire.
I called AAA and they found me a tire shop 30 miles away that had my size, so I just shoved the flap of tire back in and drove at near highway speed to the next town, they threw on a new tire ($120) to get me back home.

I bought roadside hazard with my run flats, so my tire dealer replaced it free (but I did spring for a new second one to balance the pair), and they did buy the nearly new “temporary” tire from me as well. Total out of pocket cost for me was about $200 and an hour of my life, but I never had to lift a finger other than to make a few phone calls.
IMG_20200625_130354179.jpg

Reactions: Huey52

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
The GLA is our first experience with A/S Runflats (Conti ProContact TX SSR in 235/50R18), and I have to say they're better from a ride/noise perspective than I too was led to believe. After 2 years my wife does now comment that it's not as comfortable a ride as prior Caddy ATS (which is I think the least comfortable Caddy, as more BMW 3 series sport competitive). But overall she's fine with it, as am I.
And that runflat peace of mind that we can make it to a now nearby tire shop is a plus. Also many year AAA members.
But I do understand those who want to go back to a standard tire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow Nick!! I am going to go with Bridgestone Blizzak for my winter tire. I will check if the they come in runflat. What kind do you have as a summer or all season tire? I have to purchase two sets as I live in the mountains of Colorado and snows are required. This is my first all wheel drive vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve got all-season tires Kris – we see snow here maybe once a year and only an inch or so unless we drive into the mountains. Even there it doesn’t last long.
The Blizzaks do come in a snow tire but depending on size can run close to $400 each if you throw in insurance and mounting. But you’ll get twice the age out of them than I would.
I visit a lot of construction sites, and unless you puncture a sidewall (or completely blow it out like I did), run flats can be patched. I have driven home and to the tire dealer with zero pressure in one tire on several occasions due to nails, screws and other punctures. My dealer repairs them free.
Run flats were worth the investment for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay. I will look into them, but like I said, I need two sets of tires. If I run the winter tires in the summer, they just melt on the pavement. Thank you so much for your input. I will look into both and weigh the options.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow Nick!! I am going to go with Bridgestone Blizzak for my winter tire. I will check if the they come in runflat. What kind do you have as a summer or all season tire? I have to purchase two sets as I live in the mountains of Colorado and snows are required. This is my first all wheel drive vehicle.
Blizzak’s are good, don’t get me wrong, but Michelin X-Ice 3’s are an amazing winter tire.. so maybe look into those too. I daily my 45 all year in Northeast, US and she wears 18” Enkei’s wrapped in X-Ice3’s for winter boots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts