Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone feel like going out to measure the distance between roof rails on their new GLA?
I need to know what will fit between them.

Thanks in advance.

GLA45 mountain gray arrives here next week. Have to get the bike mounts ordered.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
The instructions for the OEM roof rails give specific distances from the top edge of the windshield to the first bar and between the first and second bar. The paperwork is at home in the garage unfortunately, but it seems like the windshield to first was something like 150 mm and the distance between is something like 700 or 750 mm. I'll look tonight if I remember.

I got the OEM roof mount bike rack too. Haven't used it yet. If I'm not carrying a lot of gear and my wife doesn't overpack can usually get the bike in the back also. I hate leaving my DeRosa Protos out in the elements!

Reactions: Adolini

·
Registered
144 Posts
Anyone feel like going out to measure the distance between roof rails on their new GLA?
I need to know what will fit between them.

Thanks in advance.

GLA45 mountain gray arrives here next week. Have to get the bike mounts ordered.
rough measurement taken midway over the rear panel inside of rail to inside of rail 96 cm and 106 at the front 3/4 of the way toward the front of the panel. I'm trying to decide on bars and a rack and it seems like 400 vs 700 $. Anyone know if the oem bike rack will fit a 2.3 mt bike tire?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The MB OEM crossbars are the best deal at $305, but I preferred the Thule aftermarket Aeroblade Edge. Comes in black to go with Night Styling package Doesn't sit up as high as factory bars..$495 retail.

I would avoid the MB bike holder. That's not the preferred setup these days.

My favorite would be a Yakima upright mount like the Frontloader for $179. You don't remove the front wheel.
FrontLoader | Yakima

Second choice would be the Thule 594xt Sidearm Upright for $199.
Your tire will fit either mount.

Fork mounts are cheaper if you don't mind removing your wheel and tossing it (dirty) in the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many mounts are universal these days. The attachments are wide.
Will work on round, square, and aero bars.

You should buy from an experienced Thule/Yakima dealer to make sure you get the right components.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rack accesories

Thule and Yakima make everything possible.
Thule had a sale this weekend, but you may have missed it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a little question about roof rails dimensions.

Can anyone tell me the width of the rails? I'm seeing if I can get a smaller sized roof box and still have room for a bike rack. Looking at one of the Thule boxes which is around 630mm wide.

I'd measure myself, but I have neither the car or the rails yet :)

Sorry none of the online measurements show roof width!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts