Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

Roof rack basic carrier

25K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Claude F 
#1 ·
I just boughta GLA 2015 for $56,000. I am so disappointed about the Roof Rack. This itemcost me almost $1,000. I took it to the Mercedes Benz dealer and confirmed itwas installed correctly. The rack stopthe sunroof from opening. But, most annoying, it has a horrible amount of windnoise. Even when the car is stopped. :(

#5 ·
You got taken for a ride. I only paid $500 for the Roof Rack plus the bike mount that goes with it. If you read the instructions for mounting the roof rack it clearly states that you cannot open the sun roof with them installed.

I bought a set to haul my road bike on. They base bars are easy to get on and off, less than 5 minutes. Since I don't haul the bike everyday, I just accept that on the days I do, can't open the sun roof.

I do prefer to remove mine unless I need them to both eliminate added wind noise and aero drag. Have to say, I never noticed it making noise when the car was not moving. Is it really windy where you live maybe? >:D

Reactions: rayman
#6 ·
I am so disappointed about the Roof Rack. This itemcost me almost $1,000. I took it to the Mercedes Benz dealer and confirmed itwas installed correctly. The rack stopthe sunroof from opening. But, most annoying, it has a horrible amount of windnoise. Even when the car is stopped.
If you're comfortable with modifying it, then you can make it so that the sunroof opens with the rack on. After reading your initial post on this I went outside and modified mine and did a quick test drive around the block.
Obviously you won't be able to return the rack to MB if you do this, but in order to make the sunroof open you just have to cut off the two little rubber bumpers on the front rack mounts. All it takes is a sharp utility knife. After those are gone, the sunroof can open. If you want the sunroof to open all the way, then the rear part of the rack has to be mounted as far back as it will go. Otherwise the sunroof will bump into the mounts in the back.
For the front bar, you should definitely open the sunroof first and make sure you have the clearance where you're going to mount it.
If you're going to use the bike mount, you might want to check the distance between the front and back bars and make sure it will still fit. I just use the rack for carrying wood, so I can't say if the bike rack or other attachments need a very specific distance.
Full disclaimers, blah blah blah, do this at your own risk, don't blame me if it doesn't work for you or you cut your finger off while attempting this, etc.

#7 ·
But, most annoying, it has a horrible amount of windnoise. Even when the car is stopped.
Forgot to mention the wind noise... Have you ever had a rack on a car before? They ALL make wind noise. Some more than others, and some accessories will make way more noise than just the rack. I have the basic carrier and no accessories mounted to it and it sounds to me like less noise than the racks on my previous cars.

#8 ·
But, most annoying, it has a horrible amount of windnoise. Even when the car is stopped. :(
The MB racks come with rubber strips that fit into the grooves for accessory items like the bike rack. Without them, the bars are much noisier because the sharp edges of the grooves are exposed to the air flow.

Did you or the dealership install those strips?

Reactions: SPG43
#9 ·
The MB racks come with rubber strips that fit into the grooves for accessory items like the bike rack. Without them, the bars are much noisier because the sharp edges of the grooves are exposed to the air flow.
Good point. Hadn't even thought of that since I put those strips in the very first time I put the racks on. I could see how that would make a big difference.

#10 ·
I've done quite a bit of research on the roof rack. I have always had a rack on my MB vehicles and find it very convenient for transporting a multitude of items. There is a Thule rack that works with the sunroof...however I opted for the MB roof rack because my local dealership in Charlotte was having a Christmas special on accessories. I purchased the MB Rack for $250 versus the Thule at $405.

The local dealership was helpful and spent a lot of time with me trying to figure out how to fit the rack so I could open the sunroof. They would not remove the rubber bumpers however it was clear to them and myself that the bumpers were impeding the sunroof from opening. When I got home I simply cut the bumpers off with scissors and moved the rear rack back 5 inches. The sunroof is fully functional and my bike rack fits the span.

Yes...if you follow the MB specs for spacing the rack..the sunroof will not open. But this can be retrofitted and it works very nicely.

I took my GLA on the interstate afterwards and heard no wind noise from the racks.

#12 ·
If you use the search option, you will find several links on this site that speak to the Thule vs MB roof rack question. Thule apparently fits and allows the roof to open, while the MB version needs a modification to do that.

Personally I own the MB version, and accept that I can't open the roof with it in place. Not a problem since I live in northern Indiana, and rarely open the roof even when the weather is nice.

#14 ·
Hi, I wanted to check in on this thread since it was posted a while ago. After months of road testing, are you still happy with the MB roof rack? I'd like the Thule, but it costs twice as much as the Mercedes one, so not sure if it's worth it just so I can open the sunroof (without mods). I'm looking to add a bike carrier to it, probably the Thule Sidearm or a Rhino Rack.

#13 ·
hey, what was the part number on the bike rack? I have a bike rack from my CLA that MB is telling me will work with the GLA, but I've verified twice, while trying to install the bike rack, that it doesn't work with the GLA roof rack basic carrier.

the bike rack part number I have is..

A 000 890 02 93

Any help is appreciated, I'm trying to train for a triathlon and i've got to load the bike into the GLA and it has a cream leather interior... it's gonna get dirty fast.

Thanks!

#15 ·
I'm still satisfied with the MB version. Have to admit though that I rarely use it. Don't like leaving my road bike exposed to the elements. I carry it inside unless hauling enough other cargo that the bike won't fit.

Reactions: OCMarisa
#19 ·
Ok I went for it and got the OEM bars and Thule Sidearm rack. Shuttled my kid & bike around all weekend, was way easier than putting the bike in the back.

OEM bars were a breeze to install with two people. Thule rack was another story, but a YouTube search did the job better than the manual!

I did find it funny the Mercedes bar manual had instructions in British AND American! Didn't try the sunroof yet but not too bothered about it considering the price vs Thule Aeroblade.

Attachments

#21 ·
I think you meant to say you don't want them scratched, but either way the MB racks are mounted to those rails on the roof and not the painted body so I don't think you'll be in any danger of getting scratches from it. ...or does the night package paint those rails?

#22 ·
The MB rack mounts are rubber pads, so not likely to scratch even painted rails if installed correctly.

#23 ·
With any rack mounted on paint, you have to make sure that it's clean. Any dirt under there can cause some scratching over time. One plus on the MB GLA racks is that you don't have to mount them to the exact same place every time. Sure, there is a range where it makes sense to put them, but it's not like some racks that have to be mounted to a receiver in one place only. Those tend to get scratches more easily since the edge is always in the same place. The MB ones have some play so that edge will be a few cm or mm different every time and not compound the effect of any little scratches each time into a big scratch over time.

#27 ·
I have the OE cross bars and you can mount them +/- 3 inches from where the manual says you should (I believe front ones at 14.9 in from edge of windshield and rear ones at 29.5" from the front ones). The size of the bars and spacing between the rails changes, so you can't really mount them anywhere. The front and rear bars are different lengths.

I played around with the location of the bars to mount my long cargo box forward to leave room for the rear hatch to open more but having the box forward generates a lot more wind noise, so I am going with ski racks instead of the cargo box. The ski racks are still noisy but less so that than the box. I even added a Yakima fairing and it removes the whistling at highway speeds but there is still wind noise. Next, I am going to move the front bars back as far as they go to see if it helps with the noise.

#28 ·
For the MB roof bars-is this system built to be compatible with Thule or Yakima accessories? I looked into the Thule Edge system yesterday and just getting the bars will get close to $500 while the MB (moonroof issue notwithstanding) is available for about $200. If i'm willing to put up with the moon-roof restriction, can I use the MB rack with accessories from any other system?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.