Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

road noise

32K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  homie.malakooti 
#1 · (Edited)
I took my first test drive today in the GLA. It is a beauty but I must confess the noise level is quite disappointing. Having read many of the reviews that talked of the problem, I came prepared with an app downloaded on my phone. I wanted to get an objective measurement to be fair. The GLA measured in the low 80s peaking at 86dB. Shortly thereafter I went out in an Infiniti QX50 on the same road. It measured in the high seventies with a peak of 79dB. I then drove the exact same route in my 2008 GMC Sierra 1500, and got low 80s with a peak reading of 83! My flippin Jimmy is quieter than the MB! Not sure if this is a complete game changer but it is most certainly a poke in the eye.
Fortunately we will not be ordering until next year. I can only hope MB makes some improvements for the next model year.
Or....maybe just get the 250 roadster I spotted at the dealer. Hardly room for a bag of groceries if you have 2 people aboard. Of course, if I bought the little red beauty I would be riding solo so there would be some extra room
;)

See less See more
#7 ·
The MSRP was $51K. Something to think about for sure. I wonder if I could hide it in the garage behind a pile of newspapers. My wife wouldn't miss a half a hundred large missing from her retirement account, would she?
This might be the best line I've read on this forum since it started, thanks for that :)

In other news it has been mentioned a few times the that all season run flats are INCREDIBLY loud on the GLA. I stopped by the dealer last week and they asked me directly how I felt about the road noise now that the snow has melted. Apparently some of the people coming in for test drives have brought it up and the dealer is "Speaking to Mercedes" about the issue.

The tires are probably my only complaint so far as the GLA is significantly quieter than any previous vehicle I've owned, and quieter than my neighbor's new Outback.

#4 · (Edited)
Can you report on what tires were on that test vehicle? Also whether it had the sport package? I ran some tests on my 2008 Lexus ES350 before buying my GLA 250, and the numbers were:

70dB@40mph
75dB@70mph
77dB@80mph
56dB stopped in heavy traffic.

With my GLA I got these numbers on the same roads:
73dB@40mph
77dB@70mph
77dB@80mph
53dB stopped in heavy traffic.

The numbers are an approximation as they jump around greatly on the road, so should be used for general comparison purposes rather than as absolutes. I do not mind the road/wind noise in my GLA at all.

Reactions: Xtheunknown
#10 ·
Lexus ES350
75dB@70mph
77dB@80mph
GLA
77dB@70mph
77dB@80mph
I notice that it doesn't get much louder as you go above the speed limit, with 7th gear spinning very low revs engine noise is nil. This is both a good and a bad thing as sometimes i end up surprised when looking down at the speedo. Also there is no wind noise,i think most of it is from the road. On my amg i went from tiny sidewall tires to much taller and it floats pretty well , now we just need a compact spare

#5 ·
your survey was much more precise. I did not notice the which brand of tires. It was not the sport package, however. The app i used is imprecise, the needle jumps up and down but it does record a peak level. My levels are plus or minus about 5 points but the relevant point is that the GLA was significantly louder. I noticed without a meter.
when we go for a test drive next time (my wife has not been yet) I will try to be more thorough. That being said, there is no denying that the Infiniti is a quieter car. I like the nav system much better and the dashboard layout with the built in screen makes more sense but the overall exterior styling is bland compared to the GLA.

#8 ·
All vehicles have road noise for many reason. The build quality of the vehicle is one, as well as the design of the vehicle (wind resistances) and the tires also play a really big part and of course the road quality. However, I feel it still comes down to your discretion. Some people have better more precise hearing than others and some people are just picky lol.

#9 · (Edited)
for those of you blessed with normal hearing a little road noise should not be an issue. I have a service related hearing loss that is rated as "profound", hence my 50% disability rating. Therefore, the level of ambient noise greatly affects my chances of comprehending the spoken word particularly when I am driving because I can not safely lip read and drive simultaneously. I am willing to pay top dollar for a quiet car. If the GLA is the eventual winner, and I suspect it will be, the run flats will be ditched immediately for the quietest tire I can find. If there was a way to add additional sound insulation I would be interested in that as well. BTW, I never play the car radio unless I am parked somewhere for the same reason.

#11 ·
I think my SLK55 is about 120db LOL!!! Who needs an exhaust on a V8, right?

BTW, a lot of the 'noise' from the GLA is the Run-flats. They are just AWFUL.

#12 ·
I've noticed the same thing with my run flats. The GLA250 I bought definitely had more road noise than the Q3 I also test drove. That was the ONLY thing about Q3 that I liked better than the GLA. Knowing there is a difference in tire induced road noise depending on type and tread design, figured I can live with it until time to replace.

Reactions: gurneyeagle
#15 ·
perspective

right you are Gurney. We each have priorities, for some HP is important for others it is MPG. For reasons previously stated a quiet ride is high up on my list. I was a little put off by the response from the dealer who asked me in an email what I thought of the GLA. I told him I loved the car but was disappointed in the level of road noise. He suggested I wait for the GLC, due out at the end of summer. I don't want a bigger more expensive vehicle, I want a GLA that rides like a Mercedes. I am hoping that changing out the run flats addresses a major portion of the issue. I am also hoping that MB fixes the issue in the next model year. In the meantime we will wait and see.
The GLE coupe is also intriguing, those stock 20" wheels are badazz. Hmmm.

#19 ·
right you are Gurney. We each have priorities, for some HP is important for others it is MPG. For reasons previously stated a quiet ride is high up on my list. I was a little put off by the response from the dealer who asked me in an email what I thought of the GLA. I told him I loved the car but was disappointed in the level of road noise. He suggested I wait for the GLC, due out at the end of summer. I don't want a bigger more expensive vehicle, I want a GLA that rides like a Mercedes. I am hoping that changing out the run flats addresses a major portion of the issue. I am also hoping that MB fixes the issue in the next model year. In the meantime we will wait and see.
The GLE coupe is also intriguing, those stock 20" wheels are badazz. Hmmm.

I certainly hope an easy and relatively simple solution to lowering noise is identified. I'm all in.

My current daily commute involves crawling down seven miles of Houston freeway, so I rarely get up to the highway speeds that generate the wind noise noted.

I'd love to get to E Class standards, but aren't too optimistic. Fingers crossed though.

#16 ·
My GLA should (finally) arrive in 10 days or so. One of the first upgrades I'm doing is sound deadening during the audio install. I'll post up the road noise measurements afterwards in case anyone would like to see how a ton of Dynamat Xtreme and CCF help in the hatch/doors/over the wheel wells. I'd like to do a layer of MLV as well, but we'll see how tight the paneling is first.

But after the test drives, I think the wind and tire noise will still be the main culprits.

Reactions: gurneyeagle
#25 ·
Mine is run flat. Conti RX SSR 235/40R19.

On good surface road, my GLA is pretty quiet. But on not so good road, the drive is pretty firm and the road noise is pretty bad - I have a countryman (17 inch run flag) before and I would say in bad road, the GLA is no better or might be worse in terms of firm drive and noise. :(

#26 · (Edited)
That's because of the run-flats. Get rid of them. Run flats are loud and ride very rough on uneven surfaces.

Riding in my GLA on 19's is much more comfortable than riding in my wife's GLA on 19's. She has the run flats still installed.

Also, you can go up in tread wall height. There's PLENTY of room to go a full size up if you wanted more cushion. And it's cheaper to buy new tires rather than new wheels and tires

#29 ·
Coming from a Mazda 3 hatchback SGT with Blizzaks, the lack of road noise and tire sound from my GLA with sport package is an absolute dream.
I have had a few friends and family in my car and not a single one has mentioned any harsh road noise.
Although, the random craters I hit from time to time are felt through my soul. Boston pot holes are out of control!
Thank God that I opted for tire insurance.

#30 ·
I am happy with my GLA180 2016 however as soon as I reach 110km/hr (about 68 mi/hr) the wind noise is very noticeable. I took it to the dealer and then took it to the highway again with similar results. Coming from a C-class 2006 I am a bit frustrated as I mainly use it on highways.

#31 ·
Welcome to our forum Hector! Sorry to say that's something we've all noticed with both model years 2015 and 2016, it didn't get engineered out for the current model year. But, I'm fairly numb to it after the first few times I noticed it, though I realize we all feel it should be just as quiet as the C-Class models; I came from a 2012 C-Class. That said, there are many other great features on your GLA that should help you feel like a proud owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.