Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've actually ended up on this forum as a result of searching on the blindspot issue we have reported on. Those that claim there isn't a blind spot are either so far forward they don't have an issue or don't know how to set a side mirror correctly. But this thread isn't about that debate just seeking a fix.

In previous cars, the solution was simple - buy Euro-spec OEM mirror glass. In doing some deep digging the theory is that Mercedes was prepping for US DOT to allow convex mirror glass on the driver side by the time the X156 hit the road (and the CLA). But the reality is that US gov works slowly and it's still not happened. Good theory - and I can see that in the way this mirror setup works.

So that being said, how do I get euro spec, heated, dimming, non-blind spot mirror glass for the left side? I would think a UK mirror would do - or frankly any other Euro spec as I think they all use the curved glass.

There is one guy on ebay in Lithuania selling these in sets for around $150 plus $20 shipping. But 1) I don't need both mirrors, 2) they are used - so um, where did they come from? (in reading another member's post here that his were ripped off makes me think twice about buying these and feeding the situation) and 3) in looking at the pix - the left mirror looks different than the right (the left has a border on it like our mirrors do here, but the right does not). So net-net, between that and the fact that this is not a US to US transaction I'll pass. I'd rather order just the one mirror I need and from an OEM reseller. So anyone have suggestions for how/where to order the part?

I figure it should cost around $120 based on what that member whose glass was stolen paid. And for fixing this situation - I'd gladly pay that.

Cheers all, glad to be here - hope to contribute back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
"Those that claim there isn't a blind spot are either so far forward they don't have an issue or don't know how to set a side mirror correctly."

With respect to your quote above, I couldn't agree with you more. You also came up with the exact same theory that I did. I may have previously posted it on the GLA or CLA forum. I know I sent it to Consumer Reports, Motor Week and my dealership. Are you ready for a rude awakening? The OEM part number you need for the EU left side mirror is 2128101821. I know the part number is correct. I was told dealerships in the US can not order it. Make sure you are sitting down and Google the part number.

After being completely ignored by Mercedes Benz USA, I asked my dealer, Mercedes Benz of xxxxxxx to take my concern to Mercedes Benz USA. The following is the reply that I received from Mercedes Benz of xxxxxxx informing me of Mercedes Benz USA’s response.

Good morning,

I am afraid this is the final answer from MBUSA.

"Our vehicles pass NHTSA testing to be sold in the US. Vehicle is sold with all required equipment and, necessary safety requirements".

We can not install a European mirror.

xxxxxx xxxx
Service Director
Mercedes-Benz of xxxxxxxx

If Mercedes Benz USA’s response is correct, then the NHTSA dropped the ball, in that their testing was not thorough enough to uncover this driver‘s visibility related safety issue for the Mercedes Benz GLA (and CLA) models. Obviously, the GLA has a left side mirror, but it is not fully functional.

Sounds like Mercedes Benz is following in VW's foot steps with the difference being the Mercedes's cheating will impact driver safety while VW's cheating impacts the environment. Mercedes's cheating could result in immediate loss of human life.

As I have stated in previous posts, all drivers impacted by the blind spot should file a complaint with the NHTSA.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the part # - that looks to be either generic or US-centric though. I found this:

Mercedes LEFT OUTSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR

Scroll down to #40 which is just the glass piece and all you can get is Canada, USA, Gulf States and South Korea. Seems really weird.

Anyone in non-usa and non-euro markets: can you confirm that the mirror is convex?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts