Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - with CES come and gone for 2016 I wonder if Navitech or any other manufacturer has come out with something new for us?

I would love to do a retrofit of one of those touchscreen 8" displays that have airplay and android mirroring. However I have issue with the glossy screen (don't want reflections in something dead center dash looking at me), the lack of ambient dimming and some of the other issues others have posted.

Seems to me that something must have come out as this is a ripe industry to make money - but being in Korea and China we may not hear much about it. I say ripe because the A class is huge overseas - while in USA we only get the handful of cars.

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been in contact with navitech that makes aftermarket screens for Mercedes. But they haven't responded to my questions on prices I sent to them the other day. All I know is that the screens are plug and play. They come in plain, navigation and navigation with phone mirroring.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So according to navitech a 8" screen replacement is $388. This just makes screen bigger. I didn't get any prices for the ones with built in navigation or the one with apple or android mirroring feature.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't suppose they mentioned if they fixed the dimming and glossiness of the screens?

Those are two of the worries I want to avoid. And it's not like going into the store to return it if it doesn't work out right?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the one - if you look at some of the close up shots where they didn't pay attention you can see the glare. It's a high gloss display - not unlike when Apple started using high glare glass. They eventually started using a coating that fixes that but it took a few years.

Our screens have a matte finish - fine matte but still non gloss. So that's one.

As to the link to dimming sensor - from what I can tell it just switched day/night mode or inverts colors. Brightness always stays the same. OEM units dim and brighten with the ambient lighting AND switch to night mode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts