Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to know how much dealerships charge for reprogramming a second key fob? vs using a 3rd party locksmith(assuming there are such)\

Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
FOB cost

Just got a new key from MB

New Key: $380 - (with Dealer discount $270)
Reprogram: $80 +tax
Could not find a 3rd party to do this job
Good luck

·
600 Posts
From reports on another MB site getting a 3rd party to program the key flop is very much impossible. Depending on dealers it depends on the dealer. I bought a key flop for my other MB car and when picked up at the parts department it came programmed from the MB warehouse in Texas. Many have reported the same and other have reported the dealer charged them. When ordering the key flop the parts department had to go to the car and get the vin number as well as I need profit of ownership before they would place the order. When the key came just picked it up and put it in the switch and started the car and everything worked. Guess it depends on the dealer to charge to program or it comes to them programmed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone happen to know how much dealerships charge for reprogramming a second key fob? vs using a 3rd party locksmith(assuming there are such)\

Thank you

I was quoted $868.00 plus tax from St Catharines Mercedes. I'm looking for elsewhere. Can anyone help. I'm in Niagara Fall Canada. I'll try Buffalo. I'm told only Mercedes
can program a 2017 GLA250

·
600 Posts
Dealer prices are all over the board. Some sell the key and ready to use and some charge for the key and then add for programing. Based on me buying keys from my dealer they order the key and I go by the parts department and pick it up, parts manager says it comes programmed when they ordered by using the VIN number. I see stories where other dealers say they need to program it. You might check if there is an MB dealer that discounts parts online and see if they will sell a key. I saw one at US dollars $274 discounted from $366 MSRP. Do not know if they will sell online and ship out of USA. They are located in NJ. I have used them for other items.

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
My dealer requires VIN and proof of ownership before they will supply a key. They say this is because MB USA enforces this policy to avoid theft. And they say all keys are programmed before shipping to the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thank you
I know in Canada. ( I called 4 dealerships in Ontario) that a 2017 gla250 has to be bought at the dealer and programed with them at an average cost of $950 all in. I contacted multiple websites who program jobs but all tell me I have to go to dealer. I called Mercedes in buffalo who won't touch a Canadian MB
My dealer requires VIN and proof of ownership before they will supply a key. They say this is because MB USA enforces this policy to avoid theft. And they say all keys are programmed before shipping to the dealer.
Is this dealer in Canada? Mine says the same about proof if

ownership but still wants $150 to program

The dealers say the same in Ontario but say they need to program for another $150.

·
600 Posts
Like Wayne's dealer, my dealer also says they are preprogrammed. Bought a key for a 2007 SLK some years ago and the parts department wanted VIN and proof of ownership. Picked up the key at the parts department 2 days later and it worked without any action by the dealer. Again 8 months ago got another key for a 2013 SLK and again the same process. Note the dealership was a different one from the first. Many others report the same and while some dealers claiming they need to program them. Guess that is why people call them stealerships.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Modern cars, cheap or expensive, all come with special chips embedded in the key/key fob that needs to be authorized to your car's computer in order to be able to keep the engine running. So, only a dealer, or more specifically the manufacturer, knows the secret key embedded in your specific car.

3rd party can not do this easily because they don't have access to this database. What they can do is re-program your car to some new key, then program your key to that. Once you do that, you can no longer go back to your dealer for new keys because your car has been reset to something new,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts