Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am giving my daughter my 2015 GLA-250 for her 16th birthday. The car came with "Basic" halogen headlights. She wants them replaced with LED or something similar. Not just the bulb, the whole headlight so that it has the LED "strip" running along the the top of the assembly. Apparently, as I'm being told, OEM to do this would be thousands so I should look for an "aftermarket" kit. However, I'm also being told that these will throw codes. Someone said something about resistors??? I'm lost! Any suggestions??

Shawn, Illinois

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Welcome to the GLA forum. What a great gift for your daughter! There has been a lot of discussion here on successes and frustrations in replacing halogen headlights with LEDs. If you type "LED lights" in our Search box (upper right most browsers) you'll get a long list of posts and threads addressing the topic from a variety of perspectives. Recommend you look through those to better understand the related issues. You'll also find there's a large wealth of community knowledge on MY 2015 GLAs, many issues that were improved in later model years.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tried on the GLA250 4Matic I bought for my son. I've done LED conversations with my Lexus cars some years ago and it was not too hard and not too expensive. However, with this MB it was NOT CHEAP!!!

The halogen low beam housing with the GLA is REFLECTIVE type and NOT PROJECTOR type. So this type is really only designed for halogen bulbs. If you just put in LED bulbs or HID bulbs with blasts (assuming fitting is not an issue), this will BLIND oncoming driver's!!!

I tried like a dozen various LED bulbs and none will fit securely even with specialized adapter holders!!! Even if I could make it fit ...... It is still a REFLECTIVE housing which will BLIND oncoming driver's and cause crashes!!

One option is to replace both light housing with aftermarket PROJECTOR type. But GOOD ones start around $1500 for a pair (if I remember correctly)!!!

So in the end I just upgraded to Sylanvia Diamond Vision Halogen bulbs. I ordered mine via Amazon with a pair of extra spares of the same put in the back under the cover just in case bc these tend to have SHORTER lifespan due to running hotter. After two years and some 30K miles....still OK. These are brighter and project further out vs OEM bulbs.

I am giving my daughter my 2015 GLA-250 for her 16th birthday. The car came with "Basic" halogen headlights. She wants them replaced with LED or something similar. Not just the bulb, the whole headlight so that it has the LED "strip" running along the the top of the assembly. Apparently, as I'm being told, OEM to do this would be thousands so I should look for an "aftermarket" kit. However, I'm also being told that these will throw codes. Someone said something about resistors??? I'm lost! Any suggestions??

Shawn, Illinois

·
Registered
82 Posts
^^

I looked at your thread. Unfortunately they are out of stock!

Ther are out of stock where I bought them, but you can get the same ones at Amazon here

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/DNA-Motoring-HL-HPL-GLAX156-CH-Headlight-GLA-Class/dp/B07D4YSQY1[/ame]

Click on the link, and it will take you tothe Amazon listing. And if for some reason the link does not work, go to Google and search for GLAX156-CH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts