Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Warp, do you have a part number for this? For this price and them replacing it, I'm going to my nearest Batt + store this week while my work week is quiet.

For anyone else, I'm interested in where you went and what the part number was. I see the dealer wants about $122, but throw in labor and I"m probably out nearly $200.
Really sorry, Shadofax, just saw this. I know you bought one already, but I can't find my reciept from batteries plus. I looked up my credit card charges and it was $27 with taxes for the alt battery. I usually keep all my auto related receipts, but was in a hurry and must have misplaced it. It looked just like the original.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
No, I haven't replaced the main battery yet. I am reluctant to get into this much deeper ($$$) for something I'm not sure I even want to have working. It is due for the "A" service in a couple of weeks, so I'm debating whether or not to ask the dealership to check the battery.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
With Covid a lot of people ended up driving less and parasitic draw on batteries created a lot of extended discharge cycles. As you know, this can compromise a battery. Best to test and know IMHO. That's better than being stuck with a car that refuses to start

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I had the car in for Service A today. The main battery failed the load test, but I opted not to have them replace it at this time. It was 16 degrees (F) when I brought it in, so it was a "worst case" scenario and I just cannot bring myself to pay someone $90 to replace one of the easiest battery jobs around (now my Audi A3 3.2 with the battery under a panel in the trunk....THAT was a PITA every time I had to do it!). But, a battery replacement is definitely in my very near future.

SO, this probably answers my question about the Start/Stop still not working after replacing the aux battery (I hope).

It seems like there are aftermarket batteries out there with higher CCAs and better warranties, so I'd rather spend the $ on better parts instead of pricey MB labor. I am thinking of the Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery, Any reviews or recommendations, anyone? TIA!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the car in for Service A today. The main battery failed the load test, but I opted not to have them replace it at this time. It was 16 degrees (F) when I brought it in, so it was a "worst case" scenario and I just cannot bring myself to pay someone $90 to replace one of the easiest battery jobs around (now my Audi A3 3.2 with the battery under a panel in the trunk....THAT was a PITA every time I had to do it!). But, a battery replacement is definitely in my very near future.

SO, this probably answers my question about the Start/Stop still not working after replacing the aux battery (I hope).

It seems like there are aftermarket batteries out there with higher CCAs and better warranties, so I'd rather spend the $ on better parts instead of pricey MB labor. I am thinking of the Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery, Any reviews or recommendations, anyone? TIA!
Christine,
I replaced my OEM batery (2014 Varta manufacturer date) last year in my 2015 GLA45 with an X2 SLI48AGMDP from my local Batteries+Bulbls. Only issue I have with the battery is that you may need to cut a notch into the plastic cross bar/beam near the negative terminal to make it fit (see photo). My OEM battery was tested at around 50% capacity so I replaced it (no issues with the car, just bought it and wanted to start fresh). At the time, an OEM Varta battery from the dealer was more expensive than the X2 but may be cheaper now due to frequent (loyal) customer parts discount. If I could get a Varta for the same price, I would go with that as they are the OEM supplier for BMW, MB, etc. in Europe and my OEM lasted for 6+ years.

I think the X2 has performed well. I completely drained the X2 already and had to jump the car to revive (no issues with the OEM AUX battery so far) about 9 months ago. It is cold where I am at but that hasn't had any issue on starting.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I like the OEM and you can get good prices for it.
For the C63, it has alternator management, the car runs on battery and the alternator kicks in .. sometimes. This is a complicated system and you're best off not changing the parameters with a different battery.

So I found a good price online, the catch is that they were not shipping batteries, due to HAZMAT, so I mentioned the price at the dealer and they got within 10% of it, so the C63 got a new OEM battery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 2015 GLA's auxiliary battery is apparently gone. Is there a list of aftermarket batteries by model number that fit with or without the vent? Also, is there a online link for an OEM battery that is somewhat comparable in price to the aftermarkets? I hate the auto-stop-start function but if I have to bring the car into the dealer for other work I know they're gonna insist that I replace the battery at $125/hour or more. And I do have a weird intermittent overheating issue all of a sudden but I'll post that elsewhere.-Mike

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you want a OEM style replacement, the group size is AUX14. Make sure the terminals are on the correct side.

Wherever you find that battery at whatever price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you want a OEM style replacement, the group size is AUX14. Make sure the terminals are on the correct side.

Wherever you find that battery at whatever price.
Decided to bite the bullet and buy a Genuine Mercedes Battery... online price was not as bad as I though and I got free shipping.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I did as well. I looked at the top end batteries at autozone and similar, with the best warranties. price difference wasn't all that different than the OEM, so just went with OEM.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts