Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new GLA got a stone chip in the windshield (argh) that has been repaired, but the resin has already started falling out. (That five-hour trek to Reagan and BWI airports during Thursday's driving rain was too much for it, I think.) So now the question is, do I try for another repair or get the windshield replaced? Anyone have experience with windshield replacement, and OEM vs OEE glass?

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Don't know about your insurance, but mine covers windshield under comprehensive with no deductible. They typically want to repair rather than replace. If the repair failed, I would insist on replace. My insurance also provides for OEM parts within first two years on a new car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Boxter. I'm working with GEICO and Safelite to get a new windshield. I'm torn between nervousness over the potential problems of a bad install on a new windshield and my inability to stop staring at the chip in the glass.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you live in a cold area I would personally get it replaced. For one reason, it's a brand new car you don't want any band-aids on it. Was never the type of person to repair, i'd rather get it replaced that way you know for sure you won't get any leaks at all. It would also be better for re-sale to have it replaced - you'll get more money for your car in the long run.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you live in a cold area I would personally get it replaced. For one reason, it's a brand new car you don't want any band-aids on it. Was never the type of person to repair, i'd rather get it replaced that way you know for sure you won't get any leaks at all. It would also be better for re-sale to have it replaced - you'll get more money for your car in the long run.
yeah that variation in temperature can factor into making it worse.

in this case you're always better off getting it replace, preferably by the dealer or some good windshield shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.