Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I found my first complaint. :( The dealer told me that all 2016 GLAs had remote start with Mbrace. Even the website lists remote start as a function on the 2016 models. Apparently that is not the case. I downloaded the app and got Mbrace activated and now I'm just disappointed. The app has very little functional necessity, unless I wanted to track my kid driving the car. (which could be useful, granted...)

But I can't figure out why I'd need to lock or unlock the car remotely. The main reason for the app in my mind was for remote start. OnStar (GM) serves virtually the same purpose as Mbrace. But I love the ease of use on the app for my Yukon. I use the remote start all the time in the winter (and Texas summers) and the full list of diagnostic tools that are included are helpful as well. (all free with GMC basic services) None of which are on the MB app.

I'll get over this lost feature I was expecting, but it's a bummer. I certainly won't be paying for Mbrace features once my free months are up. I can't see a reason to pay for any of them.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You are correct, no remote start. Also, the "locate" feature generally only works within a mile or so, though there are certain nearby locations where I can track the GLA as much as three or four miles away. I was kind of pleased with MBrace being free for 2016 deliveries, especially since our GLA was built before 1 December 2015 when Apple CarPlay became an option. But once I got it and saw what it did...or more precisely did not do...I felt fairly jilted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
EXACTLY!!! exact same experience here (as detailed in my posts on the Good and Bad of purchasing a GLA. I am sorry you found yourself in this same disappointed state.

I don't want to start a rumor, but call MBRACE and ask them for yourself -- they told me the 2016 GLAs will be getting remote start during some time in 2017 (personally I have discovered you can't trust MBRACE personnel).

Here's an excerpt:
Good:
the GLA 45 is a wonderful car, fantastic handling and engine.
I absolutely love it!!
Not too long to order and get delivered:
ordered 3/8/16, on boat 4/18/16, arrived at port in Baltimore 4/29, drove away in it on 5/12.

Bad:
a few (minor) bad things:

Despite my dealer and the MBusa website's statements to the contrary, no remote start function available (major bummer made worse by the expectations established by Mercedes' deception). This definitely has cast a shadow over my purchase and already I wonder if my next car will be MB.

Trying to cancel the unwanted MBRACE security and concierge 6 month trials --- took multiple conversations on the phone with each new person reading me the entire list of wonderful reasons to keep these -- don't I care about safety?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they told me the 2016 GLAs will be getting remote start during some time in 2017
For some reason I doubt that will be a backwards compatible software update. When I spoke with them today, the guy said it had to be ordered on the car. Not at all what I was told at the dealership. And I agree, they do put unreasonable pressure on you to keep the Mbrace packages.

In my opinion, not what a luxury brand should be doing even on it's entry level cars. If you nit-pick a first time customer and hedge on the truth of listed features, why would that customer return in the future? The whole point of the CLA and GLA is to attract first time MB buyers, if anything they should be catering to this new source of possible new loyalty.

I don't like that there are soooooo many options to add on the vehicle in the first place. Kind of feels like the airlines charging me for every little thing. No fun.

A long time ago, you had very few options on luxury makes, because they were already loaded with features you'd expect. I recall as a kid in the 80's my father bought a Jaguar and the only real options were color and wheels. It literally came with everything else standard. I thought that was super cool. Of the luxury brands today, the best buy for a combination of finish, power, and technology at a very reasonable price, is Acura. Most of their line up is much better equipped in technology than any of the German makes at that price point. But I liked this design and wanted to try an MB.

Don't get me wrong, I really DO like this GLA and will have fun with it! But if I ever buy another MB will depend from here on out on service. That did not start out so well today with my call to Mbrace. Time will tell...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, I found my first complaint. :( The dealer told me that all 2016 GLAs had remote start with Mbrace. Even the website lists remote start as a function on the 2016 models. Apparently that is not the case. I downloaded the app and got Mbrace activated and now I'm just disappointed. The app has very little functional necessity, unless I wanted to track my kid driving the car. (which could be useful, granted...)

But I can't figure out why I'd need to lock or unlock the car remotely. The main reason for the app in my mind was for remote start. OnStar (GM) serves virtually the same purpose as Mbrace. But I love the ease of use on the app for my Yukon. I use the remote start all the time in the winter (and Texas summers) and the full list of diagnostic tools that are included are helpful as well. (all free with GMC basic services) None of which are on the MB app.

I'll get over this lost feature I was expecting, but it's a bummer. I certainly won't be paying for Mbrace features once my free months are up. I can't see a reason to pay for any of them.
Here is why I use the app to unlock/lock the car. I get home from riding my motorcycle and I don't need to go upstairs to grab the cover and stow stuff. Of course the app won't pop the trunk, so I use my remote starters app for that. So, I guess, never mind.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I think remote unlock is useful for when you lost your keys. If your keys aren't in the car then at least you can wait inside for the service truck or get your bags or your dog out of the car, or whatever.

As for the dealer confusion, I had the same issue. My dealer also was confused. For one they kept getting features on the GLA and the CLA confused because they sell more CLAs, but fortunately I was able to figure it out. I thought I was going to have rear collision avoidance, but I didn't get it.

I got 4 years of the Mbrace with my car but not the extended concierge features, and I simply don't drive enough to need those (~5000-6000 mi /year), so I will likewise let them expire.

·
Registered
72 Posts
One more tip, DO NOT give a credit card number to mBrace or XM radio! If anything, set up annual payments with a disposable card.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts