Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2018 GLA of course it does not come with spare tire. Would anyone recommend just regular tires or using the run flats.
If I purchase a spare tire it does not look like there is much space in the truck under the wood cover.
Any suggestions sometimes I travel at night to get to a location and my main concern if I might not be able to get to a place to get the run flat replaced and it only drives for up to 50 miles? Besides it looks like if a run flat goes bad do you just replace the one tire of 2??

·
Super Moderator
786 Posts
Many complain of stiffer ride and more noise with run-flats, but our MY2018 AWD is just fine to us. My wife drove during our extended Winter test drive in Jan 2018 and I know she would have complained if otherwise, so high praise indeed. In fact such high praise we bought a 2018 FWD model for FL. ;)

Nice to not have to carry a spare and thereby maintain the available cargo volume.

Replacing tires is always a matter of relative wear. If a fairly new non-flat tire on the same axle then just replace the flat. But if medium->extensive wear replace both.

The fifty mile rating when flat is of course a litigation risk aversion very conservative number. If you take it easy, as you should with a flat, then you can get much more range.
I purchased a 2018 GLA of course it does not come with spare tire. Would anyone recommend just regular tires or using the run flats.
If I purchase a spare tire it does not look like there is much space in the truck under the wood cover.
Any suggestions sometimes I travel at night to get to a location and my main concern if I might not be able to get to a place to get the run flat replaced and it only drives for up to 50 miles? Besides it looks like if a run flat goes bad do you just replace the one tire of 2??

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m a big fan of the run flats on my 2015 AWD and they’ve served me well. Yes, they are a bit harsher of a ride, but my car is used more as a truck anyway.

I have driven 30 miles at near highway speed with a hole in the sidewall large enough to put my hand through (forced to run over a pallet of bricks dumped on the highway). At normal city speeds, you’d barely notice a flat if it weren’t for display telling you the pressure is low (or gone).

I have to visit construction sites, and contrary to popular belief, run flats can be repaired/patched like any other tire (depending on where the damage is). Each of my tires has at least one patch currently, and it is well worth the extra $$ to get the replacement certificate if it’s offered.

And as Huey mentions, that 50 mile rating is more a manufacturer’s litigation risk, although you can’t run indefinitely without damaging the sidewall which is where the run flat gets it’s “run flat” capability.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

• Wow
Reactions: Wayne

·
Registered
2018 Gla250/4matic mountain grey option 1 and more
7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Gla250/4matic mountain grey option 1 and more
7 Posts
I have the same year and mine has run flats, I am the mgr of a tire store so I can get any tire, I will only use runflats they may ride somewhat stiffer but I don’t have to worry about changing a tire or waiting for a flatbed. I have found that the Bridgestone stone driveguards tires. They ride very quietly and smoothly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts