Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to reduce the 'snap, crackle & pop' on WOT upshifts on my 2015 45? Love the performance, just not a fan of the extra noise.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I find that driving in comfort mode significantly reduces the crackle and pops. Another thing you can do is run in manual mode when WOT and shift at "not redline". 4.5k, maybe 5k. That will also reduce it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Absolutely! And in those cases, the crackles are a non issue. Are you needing sport mode WOT near a police sensitive area?

manual mode shifting at 4.5k WOT gets you 90% there. Perfectly fine if you are not drag racing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unfortunately if you need sport mode without the pops and bangs you'll need to replace your exhaust. The exhaust that you have right now is the louder OEM upgrade option from AMG. I can't remember exactly what AMG calls the different exhaust options (sport vs. performance maybe) but there is a quieter version available from the factory if you'd prefer to keep things OEM. Maybe another owner looking for more noise would be willing to swap with you.

·
Super Moderator
649 Posts
Interestingly a member looking for more noise: 2016 GLA45 with U21 AMG sports exhaust - gone quiet
Unfortunately if you need sport mode without the pops and bangs you'll need to replace your exhaust. The exhaust that you have right now is the louder OEM upgrade option from AMG. I can't remember exactly what AMG calls the different exhaust options (sport vs. performance maybe) but there is a quieter version available from the factory if you'd prefer to keep things OEM. Maybe another owner looking for more noise would be willing to swap with you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought that the noise is a result of a small amount of fuel added, I assume, on the exhaust side. Does anyone know if that is the case?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought that the noise is a result of a small amount of fuel added, I assume, on the exhaust side. Does anyone know if that is the case?
The noise is created from little bit o fuel getting past the open exhaust valves. This is done by the ECU adjusting the timing. It is 'anti lag' mechanism to maintain exhaust turbine speed reducing lag into next gear and for sounds. I like a little bit.. not a fan of lots or flames.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts