Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a super long day and I’ll likely keep this short but today I finally got to get my exhaust and downpipe installed.

Also swapped out the crap mishimoto intake to the AMS. It all had to be removed anyway and was happy I kept my stock pieces

I was lucky enough to have a mechanic friend and use of a shop with a lift. It was a good 8+ hours of work.

I’m sure most of you have seen the AMS intake before but here it is again. Fits and looks so much better than the mishimoto. I convinced mishimoto to give me a full refund after the lid popped off due to poor fitment of the air filter. You can see that in my other posts
Motor vehicle Product Automotive design Automotive tire Luggage and bags

Comparison pictures between the factory downpipe and Redstar. I got the catted version with heat shielding. The “denting” you see is just the heat shielding deformed. If you go this route you wouldn’t see it once the heat shield is reinstalled. I’ll add more pics at some point.

Getting the factory downpipe out was way harder than the install. The factory DP had to come out the bottom, but the new one was installed from above.
Auto part Automotive exhaust Metal Gas Fashion accessory

Metal Auto part Household hardware Fashion accessory Brass

Automotive tire Scaled reptile Silver Serpent Auto part

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Synthetic rubber Road surface Fender

Armytrix exhaust. Getting more tired so won’t go into to much detail here but happy to add more info if anyone is curious.

stock exhaust
Wood Floor Flooring Automotive tire Wall

some badging on the new exhaust.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Installed video

sound clip

I can share more info

· Registered
2020 GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
221 Posts
Looks good, glad you went with a catted DP, better for the environment and your health. Did it trigger a CEL/code? if not, are you running a tune?
I never realized that the GLA45 exhaust is pretty much a straight line, no big curves or anything. I'm surprised that people spend so much money on an armytrix, Fi, etc. exhaust when an exhaust shop can buy a tube of 3 in. stainless and make a replica in less than a day, plus you can choose what mufflers/resonators you want. the GLA250 exhaust has substantially more curviness to it, so would be more difficult and expensive to make a custom catback.
great work!

· Registered
689 Posts
I have the same downpipe. as I remember, which I now question, there were no codes and all monitors went green. Then I installed the stage 2 tune.

At least, that's what I remember.

Now, with stage 2, I have no CEL and no DTC. But two monitors will not clear out. So since I;m due for inspection this summer, I'll reflash at some point and see if the monitors go clear. That was always the strategy from day 1. Hopefully I'm not misremembering my initial install! getting the OEM cat back in is.... painful. at best.

· Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the post OSL. Wow, I really like how the Red Star DP looks! Almost looks like an Xmas tree ornament!!!! (I'll take one please!!). As far as the stock DP, I like the Heat shieling / management and wonder how the RS compares to stock in performance. Their description of options seems to indicate that it is very similar to how the stock heat management is set up, which I like. I'm interested to know if you notice any performance difference between stock and the RS, including under hood temperatures. Which cat option did you get (glad you went with a high perf cat!)? From the pictures, it seems like the RS cat is smaller than the stock one. My curiosity wonders how the stock cat compares to the RS available cats.

Also, the exhaust looks nice! Did you notice any weight difference between the stock exhaust and the new one?

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
To answer some questions.

I did not get a CEL after installing the downpipe and doing a quick startup. What was odd I did get one after installing the exhaust. We ran the codes and it was all stored codes for the exhaust actuator(obviously it wasn’t plugged in anymore) and a thermostat fault. Those had been there previously. We cleared codes and the light stayed on but after a couple restarts it’s gone away and hasn’t returned.

I’m running a stage 1 tune from Weistec. I have yet to get a specific tune that accounts for the downpipe and exhaust. You’ll always get more performance with a tune than just bolting it on and going. That being said I do feel some improvements in acceleration. I hope to get a tune and a dyno in the coming months, but I may wait until I get a turbo upgrade.

I don’t have specifics on under hood temps, but I’m sure the heatshield helps. I’m also running the Weistec heatshield which made a huge difference. Before I could feel the heat coming off the hood.

The cat in the downpipe is way smaller and still does the job of cleaning the air but does it more efficiently without so much restriction in air flow. They didn’t have the 400cpsi cat when I ordered. So I have the 300.

Armytrix claims about 8lbs of weight savings. I didn’t weigh the two to compare.

If I missed a question let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts