Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning to get a Gla 250, but can't decide on which color to pick. Im torn apart between white and red. I know it all comes down to personal taste, but I would appreciate any input from you guys.

·
Registered
118 Posts
White is MUCH easier to keep looking new. You'll never have sun swirls either.

When you get chips and dings....they absolutely don't stand out as much.

That's why I went with white.

When the red is clean and waxed....you can't beat it but definitely more difficult to maintain.

I got the White with Ash (Silver) interior. It's so nice.

Good luck....let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have to pay for red too.

DBLXX, I placed my order today, but the dealer configurator rejected Ash interior with white exterior, with a message that it is not valid after 10/14 or something.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went through the Red vs. White debate as well. I chose Jupiter Red and had to pass on the Multimedia Package a White one had.

It's all personal taste, but I will tell you the red really pops, and looks much richer than the white. What really made up my mind was walking into the show room and seeing the red in person.

If you want an easy color to take care of, choose silver. White shows dirt just as bad as red. I don't agree with the comments regarding swirls and other imperfections. The color isn't dark enough to highlight those things.

I had a Blazing Red MINI Cooper before the GLA250, and it was super-easy to maintain.

I just spent four hours washing, sealing, glazing, and waxing the car. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Again, it's all a matter of personal taste. I don't think you can go wrong with either color as all the dark grey trim really stands out with those two colors.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You have to pay for red too.

DBLXX, I placed my order today, but the dealer configurator rejected Ash interior with white exterior, with a message that it is not valid after 10/14 or something.
I think your dealer mighty be mistaken. Go look at my window sticker thread. It's got that exact combo and I believe it's dated.

I was able to order it no problem.....and my dealer had 2 on his lot that were built in Dec of 2014.

Check again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree....red is beautiful but it's a scientific fact that flat red and black oxidize at a much faster rate than light colors.

That's not an opinion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree....red is beautiful but it's a scientific fact that flat red and black oxidize at a much faster rate than light colors.

That's not an opinion.

Agreed, but both are covered in a clear coat, so that point is muted. So the question becomes what's going to highlight the swirls and imperfections in the clear coat.

Dark colors will definitely do that, while the lighter the shade of the color, the better it will hide the imperfections in the clear.

I will readily admit that silver and white will cover such imperfections better than the red, but the shade of red lends itself very well to hiding swirls as well. As far has not showing dirt, silver has it all over any other color, even white.

In my opinion, the difference of white and red hiding swirls is practically imperceptible. I also have a dual action orbital buffer, so none of this is a concern to me anyway.

Honestly, if you are going to spend this much money for a car, choose a color that moves you - be it white, red, black, or silver, not one for practical reasons. Any decent detail shop can bring any color back to "like new" in a few hours. I've learned to do it myself; it's actually very easy with a little patience, practice, and the right tools.

Cheers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
BTW - Big fan of the White, especially with the Ash interior.

·
Registered
184 Posts
THeres two white ones living on my street, while nice... they just don't pop... then again, if its the same flat red as CLA... stay with white...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think your dealer mighty be mistaken. Go look at my window sticker thread. It's got that exact combo and I believe it's dated.

I was able to order it no problem.....and my dealer had 2 on his lot that were built in Dec of 2014.

Check again.
Agree with DBLXX. Ash should be configurable with white. Not only was it still available on the 1st of Jan when I bought my car but it also shows as a valid combo on MBUSA.com

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Black is best :)

Reactions: gurneyeagle

·
Registered
180 Posts
My CLA was Jupiter Red and I liked it, but my GLA is Cirrus White with the Night package and I think that combo can't be beat. I'm sure you'd be happy with either color.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Has anyone else noticed the Cirrus White isn't actually pure white? To me it looked more like a cream color, and was very apparent when parked next to a Polar White GLK.

I wound up picking Mountain Grey since it's covered in MN road salt for half the year anyways.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THeres two white ones living on my street, while nice... they just don't pop... then again, if its the same flat red as CLA... stay with white...
What's wrong with red CLA?

I think im going with red since its my favorite color ans considering most of the BM around here in my area are black or white. I like to be different.

Thanks for the input everyone

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like the red just because I think it is more unique. SO many people get silver, white and black. Do red if you want to stand out and white if you'd like to be more modest.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I just dislike red for the fact that over time it fades like crazy and looses the richness it originally had, so if you go for red, be prepared for the extra effort with maintaining a like-new finish.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just dislike red for the fact that over time it fades like crazy and looses the richness it originally had, so if you go for red, be prepared for the extra effort with maintaining a like-new finish.

You do realize it is clear coated. If anything is going to fade it will be the clear, not the underlying base coat.

Silver, like red, used to fade worse than anything in the old days. Now with clear coats, it's not an issue.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I disagree that clear coat prevents base coat fade. True that red fade would be worse if not clear coated since the oxidated surface is then on top, but red will still lose it's luster faster than white as UV rays attack.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We are leaning towards the red, the pictures look great. Once we see the color in person we will have a better idea.
Fading is not much of an issue in this part of the country. What is this thing you call the Sun? We live in Oregon, not familiar with the term. ;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts