Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Neither one fits. I've had a shop try to install the Curt, and while the holes and everything line up, the hitch prevents the exhaust tips from being put back in. Shop contacted Curt and asked if something was wrong and (at the time) Curt didn't know there were differences between the AMG and non-AMG fits. This was before Curt/Draw-Tite specified that it would fit the 250 model because the site only listed that it would fit the '21 GLA. Shop owner showed me the problem and we both agreed that the Draw-Tite would run into the same issues. Been looking for a hitch since. Decided to go with a roof rack bike rack since it seems like it might be a while before something comes out.

StealthHitch was working on a hitch for the '21 GLA but last update from them was that production was on hold due to material issues.

Edit : Yes you will need to cut the heat shield and make a slight cut into the rear diffuser to make them fit. They ended up cutting my heat shield, but not the diffuser since they noticed the exhaust issue before cutting into that. But I believe that any hitch in the future will need these cuts made regardless.

· Registered
9 Posts
I did the install in September. At the time the hitches didn't specify the GLA 250. I was checking a month ago and noticed that they now specify 250. I'm not sure when it was put on there. When I bought the car I was under the impression I would be able to put a hitch on it, same as you. I do triathlons so it was important that I am able to transport my bike. Luckily for me, tri bikes are super lightweight and I can easily lift it up to a roof rack.

No ETA on StealthHitch. Not even sure if it's compatible with a 45. It was just a short video of them fitting a hitch onto the '21 GLA with a comment reply stating that they halted development on it. This was Feb '21. Video is linked below.

· Registered
9 Posts
Yes. That is the exact issue preventing the hitch from being installed. We looked at possibly shaving down the hitch but it would destroy the structural integrity of the hitch since the connection points are right there.The hitch would need to be shortened and the connection beams would need to be moved towards the inside.

· Registered
9 Posts
I spoke to a local metal fabricator shop that does automotive work to see if they could come up with something. They decided they didn't want any part of it. Maybe one of the major hitch manufacturers will figure something out in a year or two, but for now I'm throwing in the towel. I bought the Mercedes OEM cross bars (MUCH cheaper than the third party stuff!). Sigh.
You mind if I ask how much that set you back? I asked about the OEM cross bars and they quoted me $700+.

· Registered
9 Posts
Wow. Thank you so much! I called them and asked why it was so high and they said whoever quoted me did exactly what you said, the price was for 2. I guess the guy didn't know that it came as a set. Just placed the order through the parts department for $324.

· Registered
9 Posts

Found this. It's for the AMG35. I believe the 35 and the 45 are built on the same frame. I asked the manufacturer but they're not sure as well.

· Registered
9 Posts
O M G! Just the good news I was hoping to hear! Thank you so much for giving this a shot. Congrats on possibly being the first ‘21 GLA 45 with a hitch! Putting in the order for mine now. Looks great btw!

· Registered
9 Posts
Hey... late response. I wasn't able to get this done right away due to some issues. I ordered the hitch about 2 months ago and several delays later I was able to get it. Hurricane Ian delayed everything again (I live in FL). All the hitch/tow/trailer places were super busy and I wasn't able to get it installed. I finally got it installed last week.

The installer charged me 3 hrs worth of work, which seems reasonable. They said the hardest part was getting the bumper off. Had to cut a small section of the rear/bottom fascia to accommodate the hitch. Didn't mention any metal that needed to be bent (although this might be the heat shield, which I already had cut from a previous unsuccessful install). The installation is clean and I am very happy with how it turned out.

Attached a few photos.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Asphalt
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Sky
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts