Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I just purchased my 2017 Mercedes GLA250 4matic on Wednesday. Same day i took it home i put the rear passenger window down and it would not roll back up. unfortunately the dealership was already closed when this happened and didnt open til 10am the next morning. I had a computer diagnostic test ran on it by my work mechanic and he said it seems like a sensor. I had previously tried all the tricks. The hold the key fob button down to close and lock everything....all the windows shut but that one. so, Thursday afternoon i bring it back to the dealer (not a mercedes dealer by the way just a used car dealer with high end vehicles.) they brought it to their mechanic who said it was most likely i sensor but couldn't tell for sure, could be a motor. So, now i'm waiting on a ordered sensor to come in..but they arent even sure if thats the problem till they open up the door. and they wont do that till the sensor comes in...which makes no sense to me cause if it is a motor ..do i have to wait another week for that part to come in too!!! Has anyone else had a window issue like this?

thank you
Lorrie

·
Super Moderator
509 Posts
Often the culprit is the window activation switches in the vehicle. They can overload and short out. And as they're electrically tied together they can cascade-fail one another.
But yes it can also be a window position microswitch gone bad.
Last but not least is the window actuator motor itself, although these are typically more reliable than other devices in the loop.
Alas our vehicles these days are rolling computers with myriad sensors. They provide excellent feedback, when they're working, but also many more points of failure.
All the best with resolution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Often the culprit is the window activation switches in the vehicle. They can overload and short out. And as they're electrically tied together they can cascade-fail one another.
But yes it can also be a window position microswitch gone bad.
Last but not least is the window actuator motor itself, although these are typically more reliable than other devices in the loop.
Alas our vehicles these days are rolling computers with myriad sensors. They provide excellent feedback, when they're working, but also many more points of failure.
All the best with resolution.
Thank you for the reply...i'm still waiting for the part to come in...fingers crossed its tomorrow and i can get this resolved.

·
694 Posts
You say it is 2017, MB cars have a 4-year factory warranty. Can you or do you know when the car was first sold (registered) as it might still be under warranty and the dealer would fix it. If you have a Carfax or something like that it would show when it was registered the first time. Be good to know in case there is another problem and it might be under warranty. A dealer could tell you if it is still under warranty by checking with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say it is 2017, MB cars have a 4-year factory warranty. Can you or do you know when the car was first sold (registered) as it might still be under warranty and the dealer would fix it. If you have a Carfax or something like that it would show when it was registered the first time. Be good to know in case there is another problem and it might be under warranty. A dealer could tell you if it is still under warranty by checking with them.
yes, the warranty ended in September. so, the dealerships mechanic said the car is ready for pick up but not to roll the window down again til i take it to Mercedes to reprogram the window. i pick up the car in an hour. I'll let you know what they say the problem was.
thank you for your response

·
694 Posts
Too bad the warranty has run out. So you bought from a non-MB dealer and they have done the repair great for you. You are now to take it to an MB dealer to program the window. I hope the selling dealer is paying the cost of the programming. That could be expensive at MB hour cost of 100 plus per hour.

Question the problem was the window would not go up or would not close all the way, like an inch or so from the top?

I recently purchased a used MB SLC and one of my requirements was it still had some factory warranty remaining to cover any hidden problems when I was shopping for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too bad the warranty has run out. So you bought from a non-MB dealer and they have done the repair great for you. You are now to take it to an MB dealer to program the window. I hope the selling dealer is paying the cost of the programming. That could be expensive at MB hour cost of 100 plus per hour.

Question the problem was the window would not go up or would not close all the way, like an inch or so from the top?

I recently purchased a used MB SLC and one of my requirements was it still had some factory warranty remaining to cover any hidden problems when I was shopping for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They told me tonight to take it to any Mercedes dealer and they will pay the bill. I said I’m not taking out of pocket and waiting for a reimbursement.. they agreed and said they would put it on their credit card. The problem with the window was I rolled it all the way down and it did not go up at all. The entire window was down inside the door. I was told today the sensor was bad and it blew the motor 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 - 8 of 8 Posts