Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys noticed what type of material is the rear wheel housing in your GLA is made of? Is it clothe or plastic? Just realized that I have plastic in the front (a piece of which you can pop out to access the bulbs) but I have a clothe lining in the rear.

Problem being that it seems to attract leaves and grass like crazy. See pics attached. Wonder if anyone else has had the same problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I did not notice that until you pointed it out. The front is hard plastic, but the rear feels like the hard plastic coated with a felt cloth or felt surface. I wonder if it has anything to do with the proximity to the gas tank, which is the only thing I can think of back there that might be a special concern. Reaching for reasons why, but maybe to absorb road sound, heat, static electricity, or a fire screen?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who knows why it's there! It could be one of these reasons you mentioned. Weird though, huh?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Many of the car manufacturers are using this "felt like material" for wheel well covering…it is for lowering sound generation for road induced noise. Think hard plastic liners and having things like grit and larger material impacting that hard surface (noise) vs a softer felt like material. Is there a down side? Yes… road cr*p stuff tends to stick to it so cleaning the wheel wells become more intense (just taking a hose and forecefuly spraying off the liners works)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many of the car manufacturers are using this "felt like material" for wheel well covering…it is for lowering sound generation for road induced noise. Think hard plastic liners and having things like grit and larger material impacting that hard surface (noise) vs a softer felt like material. Is there a down side? Yes… road cr*p stuff tends to stick to it so cleaning the wheel wells become more intense (just taking a hose and forecefuly spraying off the liners works)
All of this sounds like a good reason to have the felt like material. I did try the hose but that didn't work. Maybe a better option would be to use a felt brush!

·
Registered
880 Posts
All of this sounds like a good reason to have the felt like material. I did try the hose but that didn't work. Maybe a better option would be to use a felt brush!
the brush doesnt do much either unless you really scrub in which case it will ruin the surface. Had this on the BMW as well, just high pressure hose or pressure washer will give it a good "rinse"

yes its used for sound insulation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts