Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
My GLA has Audio20 and rear view camera. But funny enough it only works when it feels like. In a same drive when backing up from my parking spot it works. Later any time I select R the camera may or may not work. I tried different modes on Audio20 (music playing or radio). None was effective. Has any of you had a problem like this. I can not even open the camera (in that case) with the menu item "Open The Rear View Camera" command. Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I had my backup camera installed third party I wanted to get the motorized unit until my guy told me to stay away from them because they seem to fail prematurely this may be why MB removed the camera from the late production 15's and why I had to get mine installed aftermarket. I would return to the dealer and have it looked at....should be under warranty and covered for repair or replacement.

Reactions: tweet

·
Registered
880 Posts
actually im not sure it was related, but there was a period when MB literally ran out of backup cameras (prob due to change in supplier) and a lot of cars were made including C classes without backup cameras even though they had the multimedia package.

in such situation you have to read the description carefully cause it says "multimedia with out camera"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually im not sure it was related, but there was a period when MB literally ran out of backup cameras (prob due to change in supplier) and a lot of cars were made including C classes without backup cameras even though they had the multimedia package.

in such situation you have to read the description carefully cause it says "multimedia with out camera"
I deffinetly have the camera. Problem is it works as it pleased to. Sometimes it works just fine. Other times it just stops alltogether.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I had my backup camera installed third party I wanted to get the motorized unit until my guy told me to stay away from them because they seem to fail prematurely this may be why MB removed the camera from the late production 15's and why I had to get mine installed aftermarket. I would return to the dealer and have it looked at....should be under warranty and covered for repair or replacement.
I will take it to the service to be looked at. But it seems no one has ever came accross.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to believe

Hi Everyone.
Took the car to the service. They said the camera is the culprit. Funny thing is they said they do not have one to replace and even funnier EVEN MERCEDES DOES NOT HAVE ONE IN GERMANY to send it to us. They said Mercedes will get it manifactured again and they will send it in 4-6 weeks time. I sent an email to the contry center for it. Called me back instantly. Saying sorry blah blah..
She said she will search an answer for me and get back to me ASAP. Been 3 day weekend and all. Let's see what's gonna happen. I' repost when I get some info. Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
So if one wants/needs an aftermarket camera what non-motorized product do you recommend?

·
Registered
48 Posts
So if one wants/needs an aftermarket camera what non-motorized product do you recommend?
Check my post in the Back Up Camera thread....I listed the components there

Reactions: Itsmemagic

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine failed after less than 100 miles after I took delivery. All other radio functions worked as they should however the camera was a grainy image. Mercedes said a software update rectified the problem and I have not had any problems since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
backup camera partially open

Hi all.
My GLA has Audio20 and rear view camera. But funny enough it only works when it feels like. In a same drive when backing up from my parking spot it works. Later any time I select R the camera may or may not work. I tried different modes on Audio20 (music playing or radio). None was effective. Has any of you had a problem like this. I can not even open the camera (in that case) with the menu item "Open The Rear View Camera" command. Thanks
The camera usually works well except two times, one in summer, that it show a black screen, I guess it is because of the heat, and the second time in autumn when it partially opened, looking like a fish eye image, and no guidelines. Does any one knows if this is easy to fix? is it software or hardware problem?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,616 Posts
That's the 180 view. We haven't got ours yet so I can't verify, but as I recall you select this with the center knob under the display while in reverse.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think that is the 180 degree view.You can see at the bottom of the view that the regular view is selected, not the 180. It does not look like the 180 that has two vertical divider lines (dividing the view into three sections) and it does not look like the correct regular view that has the yellow directional lines. My guess is that it is the regular view but the camera has not dropped open all the way, you can see his license plate on the back of the car which you can not normally see. Looks like a hardware problem to be fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't think that is the 180 degree view.You can see at the bottom of the view that the regular view is selected, not the 180. It does not look like the 180 that has two vertical divider lines.
I can confirm Gitzer is correct. The 180 view is broken into 3 sections, and has no guidelines. It's useful when reversing from a spot with an obscured view - like a typical supermarket car park. The 180 view is accessed by selecting the right icon on the bottom of the screen - clearly not the case here. It could be something is obstructing the camera from dropping into position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi people I recently bought the GLA 200 2016 and I am really pleased with the car except about rear camera. I would like to check with you if it is normal rear camera opening and closing camera when we passes through 30km / h (18 mph). I am not sure if it is really opened or if it is just the mechanism doing some noise. I just took the car from supplier and they said that camera is just refiting and its normal, but i am not convinced, in spite off to be not so loud especially when readio is turned off, is really anoying.

Justo to remark, there is no message at the panel , and no rear visuallization. Rear camera is working properly when i use rear shift.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Welcome to the GLA forum. Hopefully one of our international members will address your question -- it will help if you add your location as our GLAs vary by country or region and model. (You can add model, year and location to your member profile to display each time you post from the User CP link on the upper right of most browsers.)

My US-version 250 does not have a discernible sense of the camera opening and closing to my knowledge, other than it cuts off after going forward in excess of 5 MPH after backing. However, what your dealer or supplier told you does seem possible, especially since you note the camera operates normally in reverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the GLA forum. Hopefully one of our international members will address your question -- it will help if you add your location as our GLAs vary by country or region and model. (You can add model, year and location to your member profile to display each time you post from the User CP link on the upper right of most browsers.)

My US-version 250 does not have a discernible sense of the camera opening and closing to my knowledge, other than it cuts off after going forward in excess of 5 MPH after backing. However, what your dealer or supplier told you does seem possible, especially since you note the camera operates normally in reverse.
Thanks for your repply. Its a GLA200 2016 manufactured in Brazil. I am really not convinced about dealer explanation - besides there is no reason for it happening, i am betting that camera will be broken in a few days. Imagine camera "working" every time you stop in a traffic light.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Sorry, I missed the point that it opens and closes, the camera activates, without being in reverse at low speeds. Agree, it does sound like an issue for repair. The US version only operates in reverse and closes upon going forward faster than 5 MPH.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine failed after less than 100 miles after I took delivery. All other radio functions worked as they should however the camera was a grainy image. Mercedes said a software update rectified the problem and I have not had any problems since.
I only get a grainy image at night. During the day it is perfectly clear. Anyone with a similar experience?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts