Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for all your input!

Before reading your posts on the subject, I noticed my GLA45 was making the thumping sound in the back (after 1800 miles). So, I folded and closed the rear seats a couple of times, each time making sure the seat belts were not stuck between the seats and body (which a bad design to begin with). Also, I played/pushed the spring loaded holders under the trunk shelf to make sure they weren't holding the shelf unevenly. The holders are actually what holds the trunk floor up when you need to access your spare (assuming you have one).

The noise is gone for now but sounds like the real issue is the latch. I just couldn't get any play from the rear seat latches on my car, so will find out soon I am sure :)

Thanks everyone for the input, i suggest we keep this thread active so future owners can have a reference. For the record the noise initially reported by me is a knocking noise (think a marble dropping on a hard floor, or a door knock with a finger to wood sound) i have felt taped a whole lot of the rear trunk already. Including the pivot points on the rear trunk, the touching points of the tow hook, air pump in the trunk.

The knocking is still present however, will have to look into the latch, although there's no play in the seat in the lock position. I have not felt tape the actual latch just yet.

Kerim, do you mind showing a picture with the exact part they fix/replaced? or a copy of the work order form the dealership would be useful as well (block out your info)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input, i suggest we keep this thread active so future owners can have a reference. For the record the noise initially reported by me is a knocking noise (think a marble dropping on a hard floor, or a door knock with a finger to wood sound) i have felt taped a whole lot of the rear trunk already. Including the pivot points on the rear trunk, the touching points of the tow hook, air pump in the trunk.

The knocking is still present however, will have to look into the latch, although there's no play in the seat in the lock position. I have not felt tape the actual latch just yet.

Kerim, do you mind showing a picture with the exact part they fix/replaced? or a copy of the work order form the dealership would be useful as well (block out your info)

200 miles later, still no noise, so folding the seats and/or playing with the clips that hold up the rear shelf seemed to have worked for me so far on choppy concrete roads here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The noise came back after three weeks. I took it back and demonstrated to the technicians and they confirmed the issue. They gave me a loaner GLC and still working on the car since last week. I'm determined to have the dealer fix this. It was getting annoying. So here are some things I have found out:

- It's the latch/seat. Folding the seat solves the issue.
- It's more prominent GLAs that have a sunroof. This has something to do with structure of the car being affected by the sunroof.
- It makes the noise when the car flexes; going up a ramp(think parking garage levels)

Now the funny thing, well not so funny but.., is that the GLC they gave me has this issue as well. It's a 2015 GLC and it's the same noise. It does it once in awhile but I immediately noticed it.

I will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The noise came back after three weeks. I took it back and demonstrated to the technicians and they confirmed the issue. They gave me a loaner GLC and still working on the car since last week. I'm determined to have the dealer fix this. It was getting annoying. So here are some things I have found out:

- It's the latch/seat. Folding the seat solves the issue.
- It's more prominent GLAs that have a sunroof. This has something to do with structure of the car being affected by the sunroof.
- It makes the noise when the car flexes; going up a ramp(think parking garage levels)

Now the funny thing, well not so funny but.., is that the GLC they gave me has this issue as well. It's a 2015 GLC and it's the same noise. It does it once in awhile but I immediately noticed it.

I will keep you all updated.
Funny cause thats the excuse they will use to tell you that its normal. "see our cars are so rigid, so its normal to make that noise" BS,

funny fact when i tried to fix at (without results of course) at the dealer we hilariously found out that you can push in the C pillar aluminum on the driver side but no on the passenger side, good to know?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just posted a reply in the recall section and mentioned how I fixed my rattle/vibration issue but figured I should post the info here to make it easeier to find.

My GLA45 started making vibration noises when accelerating with sport exhaust on and my wife was able to ride in the back and pin-point it to the middle portion of the roofline. So, I flexed the plastic cover in the back where the roofline meets the hatch and that fixed the problem. The issue hasn't come back for a couple of months.

When I took my car in for the recall yesterday, I asked the dealer in case they knew of the problem and had a more official fix, and they didn't.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
For the record, this particular rattle issue i had disappear after a few months after posting about it back in 2016. My best guess, it was a loose nut/bolt/connector that finally wedge/stuck itself in a position where it no longer was moving.

I have tackled a lot of rattles, most interesting was the loose blue tooth antenna, if people have questions please post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New owner - latch issue - did the fixes work?

Hi all -

New owner of a CPO 2015 GLA45 AMG. Had it for a few months and no latch rattle noise from the driver side rear seat / trunk, UNTIL YESTERDAY.

It is driving me insane; I did figure out to put the driver side rear seat down. I'm going to schedule an appointment with the dealership but just curious to know -

m-type / kerim - did the dealer ever successfully address your issue?

Anyone else?

Thanks!

Will

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi all -

New owner of a CPO 2015 GLA45 AMG. Had it for a few months and no latch rattle noise from the driver side rear seat / trunk, UNTIL YESTERDAY.

It is driving me insane; I did figure out to put the driver side rear seat down. I'm going to schedule an appointment with the dealership but just curious to know -

m-type / kerim - did the dealer ever successfully address your issue?

Anyone else?

Thanks!

Will
I originally thought it was the latch but it wasnt. You can also put some felt tape on the metal to see it stops. More details would be nice. My original problem "fixed" itself, dealer wasnt really that helpful but they tried

·
Registered
3 Posts
I originally thought it was the latch but it wasnt. You can also put some felt tape on the metal to see it stops. More details would be nice. My original problem "fixed" itself, dealer wasnt really that helpful but they tried
Hi - thanks, as regards more details, it is EXACTLY the same issue you described back in March 2016 here. Plastic-y rattle, not buzz or anything. Originally thought it was the seat belt - was CONVINCED that was it but I then anchored the belt with something so it was away from the interior walls, and it's NOT the seat belt. Isolated
the sound to driver side rear seat. Goes away when seat is down so definitely has to do with something there. When seat is up and I try to "reproduce" the issue manually (i.e. with my hands, car not running) its incredibly difficult to do, but a couple times I manage to at least "THINK" I heard it happen - very little to no movement of the seat, which I would've expected to be the cause of the noise.

The sound is driving me insane, even with the radio/etc. - it's one of those things that once you hear, you don't stop hearing. I've had other noises (the Entertainment Center screen sound comes and goes, never too bad; the passenger side ceiling panel about in the middle of the car sometimes "buzzes" which the dealer said they took a look at an addressed last time I had the car serviced - it's still kind of there, but not as bad.

In terms of a self-repair/workaround, where would I put the felt? On the metal hook inside the back seat?

There were some others in this thread with the issue that seemed to imply if I drive around with the seat down, after a few days I can put it up and the sound will go away?

I LOVE this car; it's got it's noises and its stiff, but its a TON of fun. I was a little unhappy with some of the buzzes and hums, but I could live with it. This rattle started on Monday of this week (after my regular drive back from Tahoe Sunday night - 3.5 hours and ZERO rattle, but come Monday...), and it's driving me INSANE. I've had the rear seat down the last two days, but can't live with that forever. Plan is to take it to the Redwood City dealership (much more friendly I've found than SF) but can't do that until I'm back from Europe in a week (work trip.)

Wife is taking the car to Tahoe this weekend and will have to have the rear seat up. Will be interesting to see what she says. She never heard the ceiling panel buzz; but this rear-seat-rattle is IMPOSSIBLE to ignore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi - thanks, as regards more details, it is EXACTLY the same issue you described back in March 2016 here. Plastic-y rattle, not buzz or anything. Originally thought it was the seat belt - was CONVINCED that was it but I then anchored the belt with something so it was away from the interior walls, and it's NOT the seat belt. Isolated
the sound to driver side rear seat. Goes away when seat is down so definitely has to do with something there. When seat is up and I try to "reproduce" the issue manually (i.e. with my hands, car not running) its incredibly difficult to do, but a couple times I manage to at least "THINK" I heard it happen - very little to no movement of the seat, which I would've expected to be the cause of the noise.
Sorry some additional details -

Sound seems isolated to low speed / high RPMs. When on a smooth highway (so many of those in the bay area - ugh) and at speed it seems to go away, things settle (though that seems true of MOST sounds the car makes I've found.)

Doesn't seem 100% related to bumps; again the seat has little to ZERO give at all. When I first started hearing it I just figured I'd not fully latched the seat or something strange - unfortunately, I wasn't that lucky.

Haven't tried seeing if the sound occurs with a passenger it that seat, or anything heavy on the seat, or not yet.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I prefer Autobahn vs SF/oakland too.

You can felt the metal loop on the Car (vs hooks on the folding seat), its not a permanent fix but its a good indication that noise is from a clearance issue. Wish i can be of more help but like i've said this particular issue 100% gone by itself and for me it did not go away with the seats folded down.

Other rattles (quirks?) and remedies

- if its a buzzing that comes and goes with high rpm, comes from general passenger side/dash, its probably your Bluetooth antenna, its located behind the glove box held on by adhesive that prob failed. Its a thick single wire welded to a circuit board about 10x60mm that will rattle against the stuff behind the dash. You can try to replace the adhesive but i found its easier to put a sock on it (padding). You can let it hang there its fine no lost in bluetooth signal.

- center speaker thermometer, the plastic dome thing is wedged on the plastic mesh, right under the windshield (heat), it will rattle with temp .. you can felt or lube it.

- the command screen itself can also produce a knock behind it with the wires. 2 wires comes to the screen one is felted by the factory, the second one is more solid (think coax cable) and supposed to be attached to a hook inside a hallow plastic housing. This thicker wire can come off or the hook itself can break and rattle inside this plastic housing. Again felt and add foam padding.

- Not me but some other member had issues with the rear hatch latch not being tighten enough, ratteling, they added or removed spacers/washers

Im sure i'll think of more later.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ive read here the parcel shelf can also rattle. Poster somewhere here did something with it to make it stop. I believe by adding some not rattlely stuff where you seat the shelf. Tape maybe?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Is it really a parcel shelf? If you put parcels on it they would be at risk of sliding when you open the hatch. I thought it was to hide the contents of the rear storage area. Since the tinting does a pretty good job of that, I took it out and put it in the garage. No rattle, no sharp edge.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hi there, just purchased a 2015 GLA 250. I sensed it, maybe I missed it, but will the warranty cover this? TIA!
Understandably if the dealer cannot find the problem, they will not get compensated by mercedes. So in my experience it best to find the rattle or solution (pushing a panel to make it go away ect...) before going to the dealership.

It is very difficult to find the rattle sometimes even for the dealership

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone just wanted to start this so that future drivers can have some information on this subject, as of right now no discussion exist for the rear seats/trunk rattle on the CLA, GLA or private lounge forums.

As of right now my new car is producing a rattle from the rear trunk area. Its a knocking sound, similar to a seat belt hitting plastic (its not the seat belts) when the car drives over bumps, its easy to reproduce but difficult to find.

With a passenger, Ive narrowed it down to the driver side rear folding seats. The rear folding seats do snap in pretty tight and doesnt have any play when moved but the noise does go away when the seats are down. Possibly the seat release mechanism internally could be moving around.

Also a small possibility that something inside the driver side rear seat belt retraction mechanism.

I also suspected the rear trunk floor cover (plastic meets metal clip and wood board) but that's not producing the noise either.

Thoughts? this applies to all GLA models as rear folding seats are standard on all. I dislike the idea of bring in a new car for the technicians to play with

Hello GLA owners!
I own 2018 GLA250 4matic & noticed similar issue with rattle on rear seat. (occurs on rough road)
In my case, it was passenger side rear seat area.
I've tried numerous times to pinpoint the rattle spot & today I've got an answer.
Marble hitting sound rattle came out from seat belt retractor hole on top of passenger side rear seat.
I've tried to press my finger on the area during rattle and sound is gone.
I guess I've gotta make an appointment with dealership since the hole area is bit tight to apply any material to reduce rattle.
I hope this helps some of our fellows!

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
Even on 'premium' vehicles there are little nuisance squeaks and rattles, especially at mechanical attachment points such as backseat upper clip locks. I use the electrical felt tape wrap used on MB wiring harnesses on such where I can. But sometimes disassembly and foam insulation insertion is needed.

Hello GLA owners!
I own 2018 GLA250 4matic & noticed similar issue with rattle on rear seat. (occurs on rough road)
I've tried numerous times to pinpoint the rattle spot & today I've got an answer.
Marble hitting sound rattle came out from seat belt retractor hole on top of passenger side rear seat.
I guess I've gotta make an appointment with dealership since the hole area is bit tight to apply any material to reduce rattle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello GLA owners!
Update!!

I've went to the dealership and they've applied felts around contact points & told me rattle is gone.
Test drove and rattle is still there.
I ended up fixing this rattle myself by inserting chunks of foams in 4 areas of seat belt retractor hole.
See my picture below for reference. Tried multiple test run and rattle is gone!
Hope this helps someone with similar issue

21 - 40 of 40 Posts