Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone just wanted to start this so that future drivers can have some information on this subject, as of right now no discussion exist for the rear seats/trunk rattle on the CLA, GLA or private lounge forums.

As of right now my new car is producing a rattle from the rear trunk area. Its a knocking sound, similar to a seat belt hitting plastic (its not the seat belts) when the car drives over bumps, its easy to reproduce but difficult to find.

With a passenger, Ive narrowed it down to the driver side rear folding seats. The rear folding seats do snap in pretty tight and doesnt have any play when moved but the noise does go away when the seats are down. Possibly the seat release mechanism internally could be moving around.

Also a small possibility that something inside the driver side rear seat belt retraction mechanism.

I also suspected the rear trunk floor cover (plastic meets metal clip and wood board) but that's not producing the noise either.

Thoughts? this applies to all GLA models as rear folding seats are standard on all. I dislike the idea of bring in a new car for the technicians to play with

·
Registered
84 Posts
I guess I have almost exactly the same type of noise. I think n my case it is coming from the plastics on the trunk door on the drivers side. I will visit the dealer and try to show it to them, as it is very intermittent and only over bumps especially while turning hard.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I had a similar noise coming from most likely the left rear fold-down seat in my 2010 VW GTI. After four years I never found the source, and in the 18 months since my son took possession, he hasn't found it either. It's probably karma paying us back for those times we cut somebody off, didn't yield right of way, or didn't stop at a crosswalk with pedestrians about to cross. ;)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, keep them coming

Its not a creek (like the command screen :mad:) more like the sound of a mug being put down on the table or seat belt hitting a door while swinging.

surprised its not more common, my car is one of a kind after all .... LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the exact same issue in my month old gla. It bothers me but not enough for me to make a dealer appointment. :D

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I might have found the source of the rattle. Underneat the folding seat there is a wire with a male female connector, going into the body of the trunk. Seems like when folding and unfolding the connector can get caught and cause the wire to rattle against the body.

Seems like a common area for rattle as the manufacturer already wrapped the connector in foam. So I added more pading, tucked the wire properly under the seats. initial testing seems good, only time will tell if the rattle is eliminated

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only pic I have right now. This is right between the passenger seat half folded and the trunk.

Also another update. Looks like the pin hole for the rear driver side door is slightly miss aligned. So my metal door pins are knocking against the plastic. Especially with tons of torque from the 45. All the other door pin holes don't do this. There is no play at all.

Will update more later traveling for the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue... it started the first time I folded my seats down. I took the car in for scheduled maintenance last week and mentioned the rattle to them. The were able to fix it by replacing the latch mechanism in the left rear seat. They had to keep the car over night while they waited on the replacement part, but they gave me a loaner so no worries. It's all better now.

-Rick

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same issue... it started the first time I folded my seats down. I took the car in for scheduled maintenance last week and mentioned the rattle to them. The were able to fix it by replacing the latch mechanism in the left rear seat. They had to keep the car over night while they waited on the replacement part, but they gave me a loaner so no worries. It's all better now.

-Rick
More detail please if possible, when i took in it (as always) it stopped rattling or rattled very quietly. They took the rear trunk plastic apart looking for a loose wire but no luck. I was even going to try to remove the panel with the airbag and speaker but never had the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just got our GLA last week. didn't make the rattling noise on the test drive, but now we get this rattle sometimes.

I also think it's coming from the rear seat latch mechanism or something. currently trying to drive around with the rear seats folded down and the sound hasn't come back yet. going to keep the rear seats down for another day or two then try to fix it or take it to mercedes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I finally took it to the dealer. It took them 3 days and they "fixed" it. They said it was a screw which I didn't find it accurate. After a few days, rattling came back. Now it's really really bad. The dealer I bought the car from is an absolute nightmare to deal with. I was expecting a better customer service from mercedes. It's very comparable to mitsubishi which I used to own. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally took it to the dealer. It took them 3 days and they "fixed" it. They said it was a screw which I didn't find it accurate. After a few days, rattling came back. Now it's really really bad. The dealer I bought the car from is an absolute nightmare to deal with. I was expecting a better customer service from mercedes. It's very comparable to mitsubishi which I used to own. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
take it to anther dealer, do NOT mention that other dealers attempted to fix this before (they can figure that out themselves), they will just use that as an excuse to avoid this minefield.

My rattle is still present but not as common occuring as before... more annoyed at a very faint rattle from the center speaker area, cant find instructions to remove that piece yet and i have the parktronic sensor bar

·
Registered
3 Posts
well i think i found a not-so-elegant solution to my rattle/clunking. after riding around with the rear seats down for a couple days the noise went away completely.

i ended up wrapped a little bit of electrical tape around the rear seat latch when the seats were down. i put the seats back up (a little bit tighter of a fit now) and have been driving around all day clunk-free. seems like there might be a little too much play in the rear seat latch mechanism... will keep riding around like this and see if the clunk stays away... for now i'm hopeful that it's gone!

·
Registered
16 Posts
hello folks, i'm a new GLA200 owner on the other side of earth! :)

have the same problem and i think i've managed to narrow down to the left rear seat latch mechanism (mine is a right-hand drive GLA), tried all sort of fix such as felts, tapes, did managed to bring the clattering down but will simply get worse days later.

i reckon the rear seat needs a bit more padding within to reduce movement, probably between the seat frame and the latch mechanism knocking each other, but this is somewhat a huge job and i doubt the dealership is going to risk taking the seat apart just to increase the padding.. i'm seriously thinking of sending my ride to some upholstery service with sufficient expertise on car seats padding, downside is i'm going to loss the use of the car probably for weeks.

anyone has the same issue?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
hello folks, i'm a new GLA200 owner on the other side of earth! :)
Welcome to our forum Goh Choon Ming, you'll find there are other GLA200 owners here as well (just type GLA200 in the search box on the upper right and notice how many hits come up). Please share some photos of your GLA when you get a chance, and tell us more about your experiences.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hello folks, i'm a new GLA200 owner on the other side of earth!

have the same problem and i think i've managed to narrow down to the left rear seat latch mechanism (mine is a right-hand drive GLA), tried all sort of fix such as felts, tapes, did managed to bring the clattering down but will simply get worse days later.

i reckon the rear seat needs a bit more padding within to reduce movement, probably between the seat frame and the latch mechanism knocking each other, but this is somewhat a huge job and i doubt the dealership is going to risk taking the seat apart just to increase the padding.. i'm seriously thinking of sending my ride to some upholstery service with sufficient expertise on car seats padding, downside is i'm going to loss the use of the car probably for weeks.

anyone has the same issue?
Dealer finally found the issue! It turns out it was the latch!?! Even though I had told them about it. Anyway, they are replacing it now. They gave me a loaner so I am not in a rush.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for all your input!

Before reading your posts on the subject, I noticed my GLA45 was making the thumping sound in the back (after 1800 miles). So, I folded and closed the rear seats a couple of times, each time making sure the seat belts were not stuck between the seats and body (which a bad design to begin with). Also, I played/pushed the spring loaded holders under the trunk shelf to make sure they weren't holding the shelf unevenly. The holders are actually what holds the trunk floor up when you need to access your spare (assuming you have one).

The noise is gone for now but sounds like the real issue is the latch. I just couldn't get any play from the rear seat latches on my car, so will find out soon I am sure :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts