Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my rear diff oil prior to seeing the service instructions posted by Sir Loin. Thank you for those. So, I did not follow them since I changed the oil before having the documents. The service instruction says to place the car in neutral, drain the oil, rotate the wheels 5 times, and connect diagnostic system to perform a function test, then test drive.

This is my second rear diff oil change. I've only been able to get about 400 ml out during both oil changes. Previously, I did not know that the gear selector had to be in neutral, nor did i know that you have to turn the rear wheels 5 times. I also did not know to run the diagnostic system "to perform the system for the AWD solenoid valve when driving".

I don't have the diagnostic system to perform the function test. Does anyone know if there is an alternative method, or do i need to take to a shop to perform the test, or does it not matter? And, since I didn't turn the wheels 5 times should i reaccomplish that portion?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
The GLA 45 has an aggressive rear diff oil change schedule. I'm coming up on my third. The first two I did I assumed a simple drain and fill. But I too am wondering at this point since I'm also looking at the transmission oil change that I am prone to use the dealer for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@warp when you drain the diff oil out the first time, was the oil kind of dirty or did it look kind of fresh? I was talking to an independent MB shop and the owner said you don't have to change the rear diff oil as frequently as prescribed because the rear diff doesn't get enough heat during normal drive. Now that I think about it, GLA45 most of the time is in front wheel drive mode. The rear wheel don't get driven that much.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think the assumption here might be that GLA 45 owners aren't "getting on their vehicles"? One thing I really like to do is start into a corner that is lower speed, and then manage the throttle to bring the turbo on line such that when I am getting near corner completion it's fully spooling. I drive my car like a 250 at times, but it's also used as an AMG.

The rear has clutches, and the rear is "I think" a mostly not upgraded unit from the stock 250. Which means cooling and oiling are important, since when it gets power input, it's way more, and likely pushing design spec given it's size. It may have enhanced clutches, some other minor performance upgrades, but it's still in the same housing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed the oil because I did a B service and it called for the diff oil change. In both cases where I drained the oil, it was not dirty, however without oil analysis you don't really know if it was still good or not. There aren't nearly enough curves in Las Vegas, so I am not able to get on it enough. Unfortunately!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts