Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have done the rear diff oil change by the procedure, did you get ANY more oil out of the drain plug hole when you held the front wheels and rotated the rear ones? I looked at waveceptor's video and I didn't see anything when he did it: A 45 AMG - Changing the Oil in the 4Matic Rear Axle - YouTube 4:43 mark starts the rotating of the wheels after the initial drain.
The reason I ask is because the dealer quoted 390$ for just the diff fluid change. I can drain and refill the diff with OEM parts/fluids, purchased (at discount) from the dealer, for far cheaper. I just can't get the car up on 4 jack stands to do as the procedure says (minus the XENTRY solenoid triggering, I don't have that capability yet).
My plan, at this point, is to just drain and fill, re-check fluid level after a drive with turns, and do this again in about 5K miles, then do it every 10K.

Also, anyone using Redline 75W85 GL-5 Gear Oil instead of the OEM fluid?
Red Line Synthetic Oil. 75W85 GL-5 Gear Oil (redlineoil.com)

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$390 seems pretty high for diff service. I get mine done for just over $200. Maybe shop around for other quotes?
Thanks for the info on your cost. I could probably shop around in the future but for less than half of the quoted price, I was able to get the parts and fluid to be able to accomplish 2 diff oil changes. The dealer didn't have any openings for over a month out at the time I called. Every time I go in to get parts, all of the stalls / bays are full with cars being worked on, I don't recall ever seeing an empty bay there. I will do a drain and fill tomorrow and see how the fluid looks, right at 20k miles now since the dealer did it last time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got a 2019 with 7200 miles on it (covid, wfh, need a road trip) and am going to do my rear diff this weekend. I have 2 bottles of the Redline 75/85 you linked. Their site lists as compatible with 235.62 which is what we need. However, I don't know if it's officially approved and I don't want to mess with my warranty. https://www.glaowners.com/attachmen...xle-gear-oils-specification-235-62-pdf.26317/ This has a link to approved gear oils but I either can't get the links to work or they only list factory as acceptable. I trust Redline, just want to be sure. Weirdly tough to find good answers and I'm finding threads where lazy dealers were recommending that completely wrong stuff like 75/140. 75/85 is definitely correct, just want to make sure the Redline is approved and not finding info.
At the end of the day I'm not going to take a chance so just ordered some of the MB fluid and going to return the Redline. Part number for fluid is A 002 989 02 03- usually found without the A and with 2 nbrs added onto end for container size. This is the correct 235.62 fluid and it is hypoid gear oil. The Redline has all the limited slip additives that are not required and could cause issues in our rear diffs. Feel like I dodged a bullet here potentially.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good choice going with the OEM fluid. I would NOT use the Redline based on this recent thread by MadDogMark. I also ended up purchasing the MB oil and parts from my local dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts