Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I want to change my rear diff oil but I can't find what ref to use.

For my Gla 45 amg I use sometime on trace track.

I have one bottle of mercedes ref but not sure. And no specifications of viscosity is written this bottle. 75w90 ???

Is it possible and good to put a high performance oil ? If yes what are the option mb validated. ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
hi

very good information, again a different viscosity from what i read somewhere else.

What year is your GLA ?

I'm wondering if my 2015 GLA 45 AMG have a limited slip diff on rear or open diff ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry, just got back to this. My car is 2018. I believe rear is open. There was an option for LSD in front. These came with race mode.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
ok sorry I didn't see that . 75w85 ok not high performance oil but MB approve so no discussion about that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, the video is not correct..
The rear diff WIS procedure includes turning the rear wheels together for 5 revolutions, while the fronts are blocked, before replacing the drainplug.
Also, the WIS indicates that after the diff is refilled and you use the Xentry to reset the oil replacement interval memory, to activate the rear solenoid 10 times using the actuate command in the Xentry and to look for a slight jolt in the rear end. Once the jolt is felt, then recheck the filler screw, to make sure the level is still good.

FIY, the oil change videos for the GLA45 on youtube are incorrect.
The WIS procedure calls for pouring the oil in after the oil filter cap and old oil filter are removed, BEFORE placing the new oil filter in or the oil filter cap. In other words, fill the engine oil while the filter is out.
There is an explanation as to why it needs to be done this way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So, the video is not correct..
The rear diff WIS procedure includes turning the rear wheels together for 5 revolutions, while the fronts are blocked, before replacing the drainplug.
Also, the WIS indicates that after the diff is refilled and you use the Xentry to reset the oil replacement interval memory, to activate the rear solenoid 10 times using the actuate command in the Xentry and to look for a slight jolt in the rear end. Once the jolt is felt, then recheck the filler screw, to make sure the level is still good.
Did you watch a different video? He has the service printout in front of him.. turns the wheels.. and has a clip at the end talking about doing the Xentry stuff.. which is done while driving.. and then rechecking the oil. Some of wavecepter’s stuff can be nitpicked a little bit but he knows his way around a 45 and this looks pretty to spec.. he def dropped some super knowledge bombs for the DIY community and not everyone that is going to pull up a YouTube vid to change their diff oil is going to have access to Xentry anyway, actually most won’t.

Does this mean you’re going to do everything DIY with Xentry and be more meticulous than him? Or if you go to dealer/indi will you ask to watch the service to make sure the tech rotates the wheels 5 times and then ask to ride along to make sure you feel the jolt?

·
Registered
55 Posts
No, I watched the same video, but I guess after starting to watch the oil drain out of the diff, I didn’t want to wait the full 30 seconds for it to finish draining and when I skipped it, I skipped him and partner turning the wheels.
As far as the text at the end of the video, I will have to see if the Xentry asks me to actually drive the car, or if this is done stationary.
As far as the DIY, the Xentry these days doesn’t need to be bought from the dealer and it’s an essential tool in the inventory of a Mercedes DIYer/enthusiast.
Why not use it, if the procedure calls for it and you have it at hand?
As far as the shop, yes, for instance they didn’t want to drain the oil radiator on the C63 at the oil change and I had the WIS with me, so then they did it.
I’m paying, so why not ask them to do the procedure the right way, once you know what that is?
Will I make a video? Sure, I have videos with procedures on the C63, so why not here too.
My car was supposed to have had the rear diff oil change by the dealer at 10,000 miles.
But then so were supposed to be changed also other things.
But they skipped the rear wiper blade and the air filter and wrote them down as done.
So as far as the rear diff, I can see that the fill plug was worked on, but the drain plug looks untouched. So my opinion is that the dealer checked the rear diff oil level and upon seeing it was ok, they closed it up and wrote it as done.
I don’t want to take a chance that this actually is the truth, so will do this procedure and probably a video too.

·
Registered
501 Posts
MB tech told me they don't use Xentry tool. they do everything in the vid and i did that and i had to add a bunch off gear oil after the test drive. i actually checked it again after a week and it didn't take any extra. so just change it and go for ride with lots of turns and circles.
thats what he said.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
This makes me curious. We've seen some reports of failed rear diffs. Is it possible they simply are not getting correctly filled during servicing?

·
Registered
501 Posts
This makes me curious. We've seen some reports of failed rear diffs. Is it possible they simply are not getting correctly filled during servicing?
The key is to check after first test drive and add if necessary; most likely my tech did so. I also checked and it's full.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The technician not doing what he is supposed to do, is not a good thing.
In my case however, the technician didn't even want to be bothered at all, from what I can see and just opened the fill plug and upon finding oil inside, called it done.
Guess what? The Indi shop tech didn't want to fill the oil at the engine oil change, with the oil filter out of the engine.
But I had the WIS right there, showed it to him, then he said that he knew this all along.
Of course I shouldn't have to go through this, jut DIY, but I want the oil change recorded.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Got back home late last week. I've got 9K miles since my last rear diff oil change. At that time I did a simple drain and fill.

So based on this thread I decided to put the 45 up into the air and check the oil level. It was 50 ml low. No obvious leaks. So I'm guessing that drive and final fill is important!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts