Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car doesn't have a rear camera, and there are times when I wish I had one.

My dealer says they cannot retrofit one, and if I get one installed it could void my warranty in some way.

So, I found this potential solution, which on paper, looks good;

www.pearlauto.com

A number of questions come to mind though.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Interesting…of course the company's co-founders are all ex Apple folks. Certainly easy to install, but the obvious drawback is you have to have the app up an running prior to using the back up camera. Now if they could come out with a stand alone viewer and even better a rear view mirror/monitor. Still a good idea!

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
49 Posts
My car doesn't have a rear camera, and there are times when I wish I had one.

My dealer says they cannot retrofit one, and if I get one installed it could void my warranty in some way.

So, I found this potential solution, which on paper, looks good;

www.pearlauto.com

A number of questions come to mind though.
I realize this post is old, but I was wondering if you did end up trying this and if so how did it work for you? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I realize this post is old, but I was wondering if you did end up trying this and if so how did it work for you? Thanks!
Rickie hasn't been seen in 6 months,
try some searching, I would rather be able to switch my existing camera on while in situations I want better rear view. apparently thats hard as well.
but a switch to a 10 inch touch, may bring with, that ability.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
49 Posts
Rickie hasn't been seen in 6 months,
try some searching, I would rather be able to switch my existing camera on while in situations I want better rear view. apparently thats hard as well.
but a switch to a 10 inch touch, may bring with, that ability.
Thanks! I just got this 2015 and wasn't too concerned that there wasn't a multimedia package with backup camera because I never had a backup camera before but I could see much better out the backglass of my Audi A3. I love the GLA, but it is bigger than my A3 wagon and it is hard to see behind you in this car when parking in tight spots. I wouldn't have thought it would be so hard to add one on after the fact. I see what you mean about being able to see behind the car not only when in reverse. Another thing to consider. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
49 Posts
Wow, has this turned into the research project I should have done before buying. But, it has been interesting. I have the NTG 4.5 radio, no nav. So, apparently, my options are very limited.

I really didn't want to add yet another screen to my cockpit (I have a great phone mount setup finally), so I was hoping to find something which could display a signal on the NTG 4.5 or onto my phone.

Just to try something out with minimal commitment, I purchased a wireless (WiFi) backup camera license-plate holder (from Amazon, made/sold by Casoda). It creates a local Wifi signal that you connect to with your phone and then the image streams to an app. The model I purchased had only two stars and one review on Amazon, so I was nervous but I'll probably be writing a positive review for them soon. There was one unexpected and very frustrating caveat: to have WiFi stay on for my Android (Moto Z3, Android 9.0), data has to be turned off. So, no Waze, no streaming music, no phone while driving? Uh, no. After lots and lots of research on how to force my phone to use WiFi for only one app and data for everything else (to no avail, but I haven't given up on that yet), I dug out my retired Moto Z2 to serve as a dedicated screen for the camera. Granted, I have now added another device, but it is small and the price was right.

Pros:
  1. This camera can be left running all the time that I'm driving, so I can just glance a the screen when I want to see what's behind me
  2. The app can record video while driving (one tap to the "record" icon while it's connected and displaying). It automatically saves it when the app loses connection with the Wifi (i.e., when I shut off the car)
  3. The picture is very clear and very real-time
  4. Very inexpensive ($65 with a coupon...looks like they're $80 now)
  5. Very easy to install and try out (I have it plugged into the rear power port and just have the line running in from the plate to the trunk through the hatch door)
Cons:
  1. There's a lag time that the app and phone need in order to negotiate the Wifi connection and start streaming. So, I am trying to remember to back into parking spaces when parking so that when leaving I don't need the camera right away
  2. Ditto above, so you would not want to have this wired to your reverse lights. Parallel parking would be like this: shift into R -> wait -> wait -> wait -> Backup (and hope you got it right the first time so you don't have to shift out of and back into reverse again!). Meanwhile, cars have stack up on your bumper because they didn't realize you really were planning to park (I live in Philly so I do a lot of on-street parallel parking)
  3. I have to remember to press "record" each time a new video stream starts (generally, this means each time I use the camera for the first time after powering up). I know I won't remember to do that and the one day I wish I had a recording of someone rear-ending me I will have forgotten to press record.
  4. While I could use my regular phone for this, it would render my phone otherwise useless. So, I had to add a screen by adding an old phone that has no SIM card. I'm trying to figure out a way to mount that phone in my sunglass holder without destroying the silly little storage bin (I don't wear separate sunglasses)
  5. It appears that the app only allows one device to connect to it because I have tried to view from both phones at the same time but I cannot. I'm not sure why you would want to do that, but it appears to be a limitation that might actually be a security feature?
If I install this "permanently" I would probably look into having its power source be hot all the time, even when the key is off. I don't know if that's a huge deal in this car, but I had one outlet in the Audi that was always on and my husband wired one like that in his Toyota FJ. It's nice to have a place to charge phones or other low-demand devices without having to run the car all the time. In this case, it would help to overcome drawbacks #1 & 3, because switching the car off and on wouldn't mean I have to go through the whole reconnection thing. Of course, I would want to shut the camera off completely if the car were to be parked for a long time, but I'm sure it would take quite a while for this little thing to drain the battery.

I have only had this setup for two days and will test it out much more thoroughly before doing anything permanent for the installation. I'll report back later.

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
If you do not wish to use a cellphone there are backup cameras that come with a monitor that you can mount on the dash or below the mirror. There are wireless ones so you do not need to run wires to the front.

Reactions: Christine_S

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI
I have bought a GLA 180 d (2016). it does not have a reversing camera. Is there a way to add it?
Thanks
Morteza from Germany

1 - 11 of 11 Posts