Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
While changing brakes on the car, noticed a rubber with a small tear. I pushed a little bit out and it was completely torn.
I cannot find anywhere only rubber, can you tell me the size of the rubber seal?
It is the top rubber here (Will this fit the car?)

Another question, what is the bleed screw size in front and at the back? I am asking to know what tube size I will need to bleed the air.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
You haven't mentioned your model and year so difficult to advise. However you should be able to enter same into your eBay link to determine if appropriate. A photo of your damaged rubber boot would have also been helpful in communicating your need.

You may also need bleed nipples to replace the OEM bleed screws in order to attach a bleed hose if not already in place. Standard Germanic marque type and common auto-store tubing.

btw: here's an excellent brake bleeding video (BMW shown but similar procedure):
Hello all,
While changing brakes on the car, noticed a rubber with a small tear. I pushed a little bit out and it was completely torn.
I cannot find anywhere only rubber, can you tell me the size of the rubber seal?
It is the top rubber here (Will this fit the car?)

Another question, what is the bleed screw size in front and at the back? I am asking to know what tube size I will need to bleed the air.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey and thank for the replay!
You are right I forgot to mention the car, Its a 2016 GLA200D manual.
Sorry for the basic question, but with the OEM nipples its impossible to bleed?
Can you advice on which nipples I should buy? (Size?)

Also with the express shipping its almost like buying second hand caliper set, it is possible that the piston got scratched just a little bit, should I just order the whole part and not deal with the seal? mainly because the piston might be a little bit damaged.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Some vehicles come with a bleed screws (no nipples), which require replacement with a bleed screw-nipple. One of the many "value engineering" cuts, but also a dirt-intrusion safeguard to those not re-capping the nipples after bleeding. You'll be readily able to see what type you have without even taking off the wheel (btw: as typically you can bleed other calipers without wheel removal with the proper offset wrench (see video)).

btw: the eBay kit you linked does appear to support your vehicle:
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 7.48.57 AM.png

Again, hard to determine how much damage just given text insight. It could be just a torn boot, which is fairly common and may be replaced with a kit. Or it may be more significant requiring a caliper replacement. You want to be confident in your braking over pretty much all else so do be thorough in your analysis, or better yet have a qualified mechanic check it for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts