Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two attempts to repair the flat, not gonna happen. bummer!

Love the RE71R's, but maybe time to try something else. Darn coronavirus, didn't get a chance to track on the RE71R's!

Oh well. Besides the RE71R's, might try the run flat PS4S. Also see Primacy 3 run flats. I can;t tell which should likely have more grip, since the Primacy has a wear rating of 240 and the PS4S 300. THough the 4S is rated AA for grip.

Or I just get another set of RE71R's :)

anyone try the primacy? I kinda want to try the PS4S but would hate to have less grip for when this virus crap blows over and I get a chance to destroy a good set of tires...

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Primacy is a Grand Touring tire as I understand it and wonder if it is suitable for your driving if you are considering the Pilot Sport 4 line or are coming off RE71R's.
What size wheel do you have (19 or 20), does it get cold where you are with snow (if so, do you have a separate wheel & tire set for cold snowy winter driving) or would you like a UHP tire that works well in cold weather (but not much snow) ?
There are several new UHP tires that drive very well in cold weather though they are not three peak rated for snow. Getting ones to fit our GLA45's with 19" wheels is not hard but 20"s seem to be.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
19's. I live in the zany backwards wackyworld of coastal california, so UHP summer tires are worn year round without issue. I don't take the GLA to the snowy mountains.

Since posting, I got a full report of the tire conditions. The fronts are at around 20% but the rears >50%. Nail was in the front. So I am going to try out a replacement by pairs, which I've never done before. just the fronts, and put on two new 71R's. If things wear at the same rates, they should both hit 0% about the same time and I can spin on 4 new tires

That's the thinking, anyways....

·
Registered
102 Posts
If that does not work suggest you look at the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 MO 235/45 19 tire as it is way better than the Conit OEM IMHO. The new Michelin Pilot Sport ALL SEASON 4 245/45 19 would likely be my first choice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If that does not work suggest you look at the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 MO 235/45 19 tire as it is way better than the Conit OEM IMHO. The new Michelin Pilot Sport ALL SEASON 4 245/45 19 would likely be my first choice.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saw those, but the internet assured me the 4S had more grip than the 4, so back to 245/40-19 I go.

·
Registered
102 Posts
IMHO, if you do not want UHP Summer and a separate set of winter tires, the new go to tire is the new Michelin® Pilot Sport All Season 4 (i.e. 245/45ZR19/XL 102Y Product # 30742 for the 19" wheel). It is good on most everything, other than significant amounts of snow.

·
Super Moderator
439 Posts
I use the prior PS3+ AS on my Audi and it's been great (2 full seasons thus far), but concur that I wouldn't use in deep snow as not as effective as a dedicated Winter tire. The PS4 is even higher rated however. I've preferred Michelin for a long time now so I may be jaded. ;)
IMHO, if you do not want UHP Summer and a separate set of winter tires, the new go to tire is the new Michelin® Pilot Sport All Season 4 (i.e. 245/45ZR19/XL 102Y Product # 30742 for the 19" wheel). It is good on most everything, other than significant amounts of snow.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nokian Zline A/S is a performance tire with an all-season compound for some use in cold.

AA wet rating, 500 wear rating....$500 a set I have them on my CLK 500, and they are perfect if I get caught in snow coming back from FL or whatever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts