Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi GLA forum!

My original tires 215/60/17 need replacing and I'm thinking to fit larger tires as I would like to increase the ground clearance slightly + more comfort. (I already fitted an Eibach Springs Lift Kit :D)

My question is, can I upsize?
I'm thinking about either:
235/60/17 or 215/65/17.

Alternatively maybe 235/60/18 but this is a bit unrealistic.

Any suggestions/opinions please? Has anybody tried this? Thank you馃檹

Registered
235/60-17 is pretty large at +3.5% over stock. Most people would not risk it, but you have the lift kit....so all bets are off. +2% is usually considered OK for going over stock. I would go with 225/60 or 235/55, either will give you an improved ride.

Generally, the increased load rating will give you better ride and wear. Compare that number between tires available to you. Post the choices and price you have....

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Audi Junkie!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Actually I am in Europe.

I am tempted to do 235/60/17, I want to double check the dimensions to see if it fits.

Realisically 225/60/17 is really good thank for that, a step up would be 215/65/17 as it is 2.9% over stock.
Is there a risk that the ABS check light or any other check lights appear if you go 3% over stock?

Posting a picture with my ride:

Registered
No speedo issues.
Myself, I would prefer the wider 225/60-17 over 215/65-17. An objective reference would be to compare the load ratings of those 2 sizes and def use the higher one to meet your objectives. Keep in mind the XL load models will have a different rating than the standard load, for comparison. I'll look at it myself later.

Bear in mind, not every size is common enough to find a good selection and a good price. 235/55-17 treated me well in that regard.

So it comes down to 225/60, in my opinion. If the selection of tires is good for you in your market, I think you accomplished your goal from stock 215/60....bigger all around.

103 XL load for the Nokians, that is a heck of a tire.

Those wheels look familiar, mine came off my Metris....which got jumbo 235/60-17 Firestone Destination LE2, far too large for the GLA, imo

Registered
Also, (225) 60-series will offer a sportier selection than (215) 65-series, which is basically a truck tire in US market.

If you see a "Highway All-Season" selection, like General Grabber or Firestone Destination, they are rugged and good forthe street. Unlike any "RT" tires for trucks, they are poor on the road. Let me know how it's looking.

Registered
Hi GLA forum!

My original tires 215/60/17 need replacing and I'm thinking to fit larger tires as I would like to increase the ground clearance slightly + more comfort. (I already fitted an Eibach Springs Lift Kit :D)

My question is, can I upsize?
I'm thinking about either:
235/60/17 or 215/65/17.

Alternatively maybe 235/60/18 but this is a bit unrealistic.

Any suggestions/opinions please? Has anybody tried this? Thank you馃檹
A larger diameter tire will at the very least, depending on the diameter increase will affect the Speedo and odo. You鈥檒l be traveling faster and longer than the vehicle calculates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts