Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery last night of a GLA45 but subsequently relized that the Curt hitch that fits the GLA250 exactly recommended for the GLA45.

Anyone here has taken the plunge a put the GLA250 hitch on the GLA45 anyway? I primarily want to carry a few bikes with my hitch mounted bike carrier, with maybe occasional light towing. I need the roof racks to hold the roof box.

Thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! Saw that thread but not anyone who actually took the plunge. I was at dealer and did a visual comparison, looks like the muffler for the GLA45 would interfere with the installation, more that just cutting a notch in the heat shield. So hitch on the GLA45 would have to be totally custom, perhaps replace the current muffler with a smaller one, or both. Decided to keep the GLA45 anyway and perhaps deal with the hitch install after I'm out of warranty.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You will very MUCH APPRECIATE the GLA45….total hoot to drive and performance/sound is addictive :D

Reactions: rayman

·
Registered
34 Posts
bikes on GLA

If you are wanting the more utilitarian features of the GLA, then the 45 may not be worth it to you. But if you crave the AMGness, then you have to decide.

I have a rack on top and a Saris Bones 3 on back. I used their hatch hugger straps for the upper mounts so that the hatch still opens and closes automatically.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you are wanting the more utilitarian features of the GLA, then the 45 may not be worth it to you. But if you crave the AMGness, then you have to decide.

I have a rack on top and a Saris Bones 3 on back. I used their hatch hugger straps for the upper mounts so that the hatch still opens and closes automatically.
Now that is using your GLA to full effect!
You probably get a lot of looks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I kept the GLA45 AMG.

Yeah, I strongly suspect that I'll be missing the utility I could have gotten with the GLA20, especially this weekend when I would have otherwise rented a small trailer to move my son back from school over summer break.

But **** if I don't crack a bit of a grin every time I hear that exhaust crack!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there BikerBob. Just getting to grips with my GLA 45 AMG (almost identical to yours - dark grey without the AMG rear spoiler) and looking at options for bike carriers. I have a Thule Raceway 992 (3 bikes) and there's no way that beast is going to fit onto the rear hatch. Too heavy and the retaining claws are too narrow, as well as the cables sit unprotected on edge of spoiler - nasty! No way i can retrofit 'hatch huggers' either. I was assuming the only way was Thule roof bars (Aeroblade Edge 9594B)... until i saw your post showing the Saris Bones 3 on the rear hatch with Saris hatch hugger straps.

Can i check a few things with you please before i purchase:
1. The plastic rear hatch outer skin sections, that overshoot the metal hatch, look a bit flimsy and thin to me. Have you had any issues with cracking or damage using the Saris rack?
2. You mentioned that the hatch hugger straps still allows the rear hatch to open and closes automatically. I'd assumed you'd have to slide the carrier on and off with the hatch is closed? Does it stay tight in place when opened (assume this is once bikes removed)?
3. What load can it take (3 adult mountain bikes)? I've got 3 Trek hybrids.

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give.

I think my next posts on the forum will be on tyre pressure tests, MPG, and fitting a Snooper radar detector.
Still not stopped smiling when i hear that AMG Valvetronic exhaust popping.... ;-))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.