Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2015 GLA250 4matic does not have push button start. Is there a way to upgrade to the push button so she can leave her keys in her purse?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Check the original build (any online VIN decoder should tell you if you have Keyless Start or Keyless Go). Previous discussion (search on those two terms, Keyless Start/Go) agreed without the build the answer is no. An even simpler test, borrow a button from a GLA that has it and try it.

·
Super Moderator
1,423 Posts
For push button start the car needs the circuitry to read your key AND determine that it is inside the car (I'm not sure the latter is reality!!!).

If your build spec doesn't indicate Keyless Go then the circuitry is missing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I looked at a used 2015 GLA250 yesterday at a local Mercedes dealership and it had conventional key fob start. The sales guy said if I bought the car they'd include the push button start. I'm not that familiar with the technology but he said it was no big problem.

Didn't buy but it's on my list. I have a month to go on my Audi lease.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I looked at a used 2015 GLA250 yesterday at a local Mercedes dealership and it had conventional key fob start. The sales guy said if I bought the car they'd include the push button start. I'm not that familiar with the technology but he said it was no big problem.

Didn't buy but it's on my list. I have a month to go on my Audi lease.
I would have the dealer try using the button to see if it work before signing any papers. Do not just trust the sales guy as some do not know everything.

·
Registered
608 Posts
There may be some definition issues here: Following is from MB of Temecula, CA website:

"You’ve likely seen KEYLESS START® or KEYLESS GO® in a new Mercedes-Benz vehicle. Both technologies make it easy for you to hop into your vehicle and drive off, sans the hassle of fumbling with keys. But, although they’re similar, they’re not the same feature.

Mercedes KEYLESS START®: With KEYLESS START®, you can step on the brake or press the Start/Stop button on the dashboard to start your car—no key required.
Mercedes KEYLESS GO®: This feature is essentially an upgrade of KEYLESS START®. You can start the engine by pressing the brake pedal or dash-mounted button, but that’s not all. KEYLESS GO® senses your key in your pocket or bag, and will automatically unlock/lock the doors when you touch the door handle.
KEYLESS START® is standard across the Mercedes-Benz lineup. Meanwhile, KEYLESS GO® is more of a commodity, and can be found in models like the S-Class Coupe as standard equipment. You can, however, purchase it as an optional add-on for just about any new Mercedes-Benz."

I have Keyless GO, so am not able to tell you if KeylessSTART indeed was on my 2015. When I bought the car, it did not have the pushbutton; my sales rep took one off another car on the sales floor. I cannot start my car by pressing the brake peddle; maybe that came later?

·
Super Moderator
1,423 Posts
Great point regarding the Keyless Start vs the Keyless Go.

No matter what, you need to press the brake AND either turn the key or press the button to start the car. I know that some of the GLAs do not work with the push button. Yes it can be installed. No it won't do anything. You do need the circuitry to detect the presence of your key. It may be different in some countries. I speak for USA specifications.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Great point regarding the Keyless Start vs the Keyless Go.

No matter what, you need to press the brake AND either turn the key or press the button to start the car. I know that some of the GLAs do not work with the push button. Yes it can be installed. No it won't do anything. You do need the circuitry to detect the presence of your key. It may be different in some countries. I speak for USA specifications.

Once again agreeing with Wayne, at least US spec. :D I have a 2015 45 and need key to start, but I've had 2 loaners now both new with keyless start and they do NOT start with brake pedal push alone, but you need that, and push button to start. I don't see the big deal with keyless start, I guess a woman leaving keys in purse makes sense, for me it's just not a biggie to pull the keys out of pocket and insert.

19 Posts
There are lots of people in Taiwan did the conversion, cost about 1G or 2G because you also need to replace 2 or all 4 door handles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=DBAwQ2-uahw
And wait, there is a catch. You car need to have the keyless start in the first place to covert.
They can still rewrite the code and add additional accessory if you are using key to start, but cost over 3G.
Forget it, it's not worth it. Mine is also key start...

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are lots of people in Taiwan did the conversion, cost about 1G or 2G because you also need to replace 2 or all 4 door handles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=DBAwQ2-uahw
And wait, there is a catch. You car need to have the keyless start in the first place to covert.
They can still rewrite the code and add additional accessory if you are using key to start, but cost over 3G.
Forget it, it's not worth it. Mine is also key start...
I don't believe this is true:

"They can still rewrite the code and add additional accessory if you are using key to start, but cost over 3G."

It only works if you have an 805 car (2015) with option 055 or later. Without 055, you are on the FBS3 system for car control and there is no infrastructure for KGO or KSTART. Cars built after option 055 (November 2014 I think?) could be optioned with or without KGO, and for that car I absolutely believe it could be retrofitted for KGO or KSTART for 2k, 3k, whatever.

But MY CAR is a 2015 on FBS3, so it's a No-go for either keyless start or keyless go. At any price.

I'd pay 3k in a heartbeat to convert my car to KGO (or any version of it, including only KSTART, but there is no reasonable path to get me there.

It is the one thing that irks me about my car. Only one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts