Votes: 1 33.3%
  • F*ck it

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went out testing cars for my birthday with my dad just for fun since there's not much else to do during Covid. Im saving up money so this was also to get a better idea of what I would have my eye on when the time is right. While walking around the lot though we noticed a beautiful GLA 45 nicely decked out. It seemed to have all the bells and whistles from the premium bucket seats, to custom paddle shifters. Even seemed to have a BOV as you can hear in the video.

The car had 2 owners, with the 2nd owner coming in at around 33,000km in 2017. In 3-4 years, he managed to put 200,000km+ on it as it was mostly highway driven, and he was apparently moving from Windsor to Toronto a lot. So currently the car is sitting at around 237,000km, and the asking price is $14,000 CAD.

Its seems like it could be a risky move as I haven't seen any GLA 45's above 150,000km, so that worries me quite a bit. There seems to be a fairly large oil leak aswell which I'm planning on getting checked out tomorrow. I know the repair on these guys can be expensive, but if I can manage to negotiate say down to $12,000 due to the oil leak, and repairs cost me 8-10k over the span of 3-5 years, I would say that would be worth it in all honesty as currently this car sits at around 30k+ without all the bells and whistles that this bad boy has.

To explain my current situation aswell, I'm currently a 20 year old entrepreneur working from home. I make fairly good money and I've been saving up over the years, so this would be a nice little toy to take out here and there. I don't need it and I won't be daily driving it. I would see myself putting maybe around 50,000km in 5 years, if not less than that, since all I really do is maybe drive to see a friend, or drive 10 minutes to the lake for breakfast. It would also be a nice little toy for my dad to play around with as we're both car guys and this thing drives like a freaking rally car.

So I guess my main questions are:
  • Would you say this is a terrible or not so bad idea? (I don't want to hear financial advice on investing in property instead)
  • What kind of repairs could I expect to see? Most expensive aswell as most common
  • Things to lookout for?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
39 Posts
i dunno, kind of like when not if something brakes, say like the trans, it would be ridiculous money to fix. That's a lot of miles. You have a good independent mechanic?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
2015 had different gear ratios and motor tuning. 2016 mid year is when some say the grinding transmission problem was solved. But water pumps and thermostats and brakes and usage worn turbos and a myriad of other things come to mind.

I haven't seen a lot of very high mileage GLAs out there. So I don't think there's a lot of data to go by. I would want detailed service records and a good PPI. And perhaps a slush fund for a big repair should that happen. Your circumstances seem to favor a purchase like this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like there’s some underlying issues. That’s about 11k USD for 150k miles and for example there’s a 120k mile for sale in the US for about 20k USD so that really sounds like more of project car territory rather than just a well used well depreciated vehicle. The biggest thing I’d be looking into is the service history and get a well combed over Pre-Purchase Inspection.

Has it had any major repairs, warranty or not?

Has it been in any accidents?

How’s brake life? A shop will charge 2-3k alone for pads and rotors all the way around.

Any suspension components replaced or still all original?

Was it driven through the harsh Canadian winters?

I don’t think having the same amount of money as the asking price of the car set aside or at least a good chunk of it for repairs would be too out of the question bc you already mentioned an oil leak..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Brakes aren't the worry, it's the engine and transmission.

To contrast, a guy at my company bought a V12 Mercedes (can't remember which) for around $14,000 with crazy miles. He spent $12,000 in maintenance over 3 years which is technically nuts.

But taking a step back, that's $26,000 spent on the car in 3 years to drive a V12 Merc. I spent more on my GLA45 in three years for sure!

The risk is that the GLA engine goes, cause the M133 is $30k to replace. But the money you're saving on the car cost you have to expect to pay for the big-ticket maintenance. If you EXPECT to get a solid car at 11k and only pay for preventative maintenance, it's a bad deal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This doesn’t need to be addressed in terms of nightmare costs.
it’s a used car with high mileage worth an entry level cost.
At this price level, if the engine goes, you’re going to replace it with an eBay engine and the offer here includes the CLA engines, I would think.
This is also something that happens often in the used car business and has been a junkyard main business for a long time. They will have a very basic warranty and you won’t have to even think about the cost of a new engine.
same goes with the transmission.
As far as buying the car, it’s the same as buying any used car:
Hire a local bodyman to check the body and hire a local independent shop to mechanically check the car, or hire a car checking business.

Take a look at the carfax, but also the Master Vehicle Inqyiry, if you can get access to one.

DYI the work, have the specific tools and a Xentry rig.
Do a lot of preventative replacements, not only maintenance.
Basically reset the maintenance by starting a new chapter and replacing everything.
when selecting the replacement parts, you may not want to spend on genuine parts, know who’s who in Mercedes aftermarket parts.

I ran a few years ago W126, then W124 as daily drivers, all had many miles.
It can be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts