Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel the brakes slightly pulsating when breaking at speed > 65mph. I am due for Service B in a couple of weeks. Is this normal at 20K? Is this covered by warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel the brakes slightly pulsating when breaking at speed > 65mph. I am due for Service B in a couple of weeks. Is this normal at 20K? Is this covered by warranty?
I just got my GLA250 a few days ago, so my experience isn't directly relevant. My C300 4Matic brakes lasted over 100K before wearing out. I don't think what you're experiencing is normal. If it's warped rotors at 20K, it should be covered by warranty, but knowing Benz dealers you'll get lip about how it's a wear item. Push back and get it covered.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I experience that but only if applying brakes light to medium force. I suspect it is related to the energy recovery to charge the auto/stop battery (bu it is speculation on my part).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updates...

I'm currently at the dealership. Service guy came by 2 hours after I arrived and confirmed it's rotors and he's waiting for the warranty dept to say it's covered under warranty.

Another hour later... he came back and said MB warranty said it's not covered, but he says he's looking for another person to talk to since he believes it should still be covered by warranty at 20K miles, < 2 years. He says if the dealership has to pay for it, they will.

Happy that they're taking care of it, but bummed out at how quickly the rotors got warped.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
They were very very attentive at the AMG Driving Academy that we manually release the parking brake as soon as we put the cars in park and opened the doors. The fear was warped rotors if the brake remained applied while the rotors were hot.

Having said the above, I believe the parking brake is on the rears only so the fronts should not be affected.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me right about the 12,700 mile mark. Identical symptoms to the ones you are describing. Took it to the dealer and both front rotors needed to be replaced. Had no problems to get it covered under warranty. It is also my impression after a short conversation with the tech that it is kind of a known issue. If they play hard ball I say you respond by saying I will call MB corporate! Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same thing happen to me right about the 12,700 mile mark. Identical symptoms to the ones you are describing. Took it to the dealer and both front rotors needed to be replaced. Had no problems to get it covered under warranty. It is also my impression after a short conversation with the tech that it is kind of a known issue. If they play hard ball I say you respond by saying I will call MB corporate! Good luck!
Thank you... still patiently waiting for rhe service guy to come back...

How are the rotors now after they replaced it at 12,700? Hopefully not to be replaced every 20K miles?

·
Registered
469 Posts
The rotors covered up to 14 or 15k miles as far as i know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After 5 hours at the dealership, service B done and brakes and rotors replaced, covered by warranty.

Service tech said the 2nd warranty person he talked to still said not covered, but he says the main warranty person is on leave. He'll take care of it.

Had a quick chat, expressing my concerns with the rotors. He said his GLK's rotors had to be replaced at 70K, and he had the same issues I'm having with the replacement. Hopefully the new rotors I got aren't bad.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My old mechanic insisted that the problem is usually not the rotors but the brake pads which cause the rotor to wear unevenly. I'm wondering if some after-market brake pads, like Akebono, might be called for? I used those on an older car I towed with, with great success. Would these void the warranty, I wonder? It might be cheaper to get them installed than OEM brakes at a dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts