Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. New here. Considering this vehicle.

Drove one last week and was on the whole quite impressed. I currently drive a Nissan 370z roadster, 6 speed manual, and would like more space, 4wd, but not give up a sporty fun drive. This MB CUV is really an interesting vehicle. Also the 370 is about to enter the 7th and last year of full warranty. If I'm going to give up the convertible then a sunroof is important and the sunroof in this MB is great.

Going through this forum there seems to be more than a few reliability/maintenance issues. There also seems to be a reluctance for MB to step up to the plate and honor a legitimate warranty issue or two...I.E... 1. Self destructing sunroofs, 2. Brakes - early wear (Infinity had this problem about 15 years ago with the G35 series and eventually stepped up to the plate and covered all brake wear for the duration of the warranty), and others.

Transmission service requirement @ 30k (miles?) and one individual was told that an MB service department wanted $650 for just this one service item, Front tire wear.....

Now the above concerns me.

With Nissan when things braek they simply get fixed. I've gone through a set of rear tires (275/35/19) in less than 13000 miles with a tread wear rating of 140 but that was my doing....they were simply fun to push a little now and then...and I'm age...let's say 60 is a memory.

So what I'm asking are these reliability/maintenance concerns of mine valid?

Many thanks for any replies.

Dave

·
Registered
816 Posts
First, welcome to the forum!

Automotive forums tend to act like a magnifying glass when it comes to warranty & reliability issues. Not suggesting many of the issues are not legitimate specifically to a car and an owner, it is just that the population of the forums are very small in comparison to overall numbers of GLAs out on the road.

For MB vehicles, maintenance costs are higher than many of the Asian car manufacturers, but I have found that from dealership to dealership can be a wide range of costs for servicing. Take as an example the reference you made to tranny service costing $650...I do not doubt that such a high cost was given by a particular dealership, but I also know that several local MB dealerships (Treasure coast of Florida) have that same service for about $350. I have never experienced MB not willing to cover a warranty issue (I have owned many a MB and been active in MB clubs so my exposure to the cars and dealerships is somewhat high). I will say MB is very unforgiving on warranty matters if the car has been modified... ECU flash, suspension mods, piggy back modules on tranny etc. When it comes to a MB, I always tell people if you can't afford to pay when you want to play then don't.

I delight every time I drive my GLA45 and if you want more room and sporty this is the car for you.

Reactions: WhiteRabbit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SSBGLA45,

Thank you for the kind and informative reply. Part of my reason for researching as much as I am is about 15-20 years ago I got a new vehicle i should have really asked a lot of questions about. I was challenged on pretty much every warranty issue I brought forward and there were many. It must have been built on the proverbial Monday or Friday after happy hour. It got to the point where I would take the vehicle to another "garage" first simply to get a written statement that the problem existed before going to the dealership I bought from. So I now ask questions and research maintenance requirements, costs and facts/rumors as to whether there's problems getting warranty items dealt with....for example the thread here about sunroofs.

The MB drives beautifully and is superb inside. I just need some input as to experiences. There are some good incentives to purchase at the moment. Another on the shortlist is the lexus rc-f....surprisingly maintenance requirements are not onerous, extended warranty available to 8 years and 200,000 km so they figure it's going to hold together....but that said the amg gla45 would probably smoke it.....and you can carry lots too + 4wd. The MB is the first combo of sport performance and a practical vehicle at this price point I've come across and with a very nice interior.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,872 Posts
The last I looked Pam had about 7500 miles on her 2017 GLA45. We put a third of that on in Europe. I would highly recommend the European Delivery if you can.

We don't have enough miles to answer many questions. But we have had no problems.

We remain very happy with our decision. I DIY so generally don't concern myself with maintenance costs. But I haven't seen anything that seems absurd. There are always Indies out there.

The only complaint I have is that the hood shakes a bit as air tries to escape onto the windshield at speeds approaching 140 mph. I guess that's not really much to complain about. I'm told it can be adjusted, but there aren't many places in Northern California to test this.

Storage is less than Pam's previous SUV (Lexus RX400h) and next Xmas we will adjust our gift buying before driving to the kids ... the dogs take up space. If you plan on traveling you may want to take your luggage on a test drive.

My DD is a 2010 997.2 C4S that I enjoy pushing. Nonetheless, I am never disappointed when I get to drive the 45.

FWIW, 60 is also a memory for me!!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I would also look at CLA forums such as mercedescla.org for maintenance and common issues. The CLAs came out 1 yr prior the GLA therefore more miles on their engines and so far i have not read/heard of any major engine issues.

The last I looked Pam had about 7500 miles on her 2017 GLA45. We put a third of that on in Europe. I would highly recommend the European Delivery if you can.

We don't have enough miles to answer many questions. But we have had no problems.

We remain very happy with our decision. I DIY so generally don't concern myself with maintenance costs. But I haven't seen anything that seems absurd. There are always Indies out there.

The only complaint I have is that the hood shakes a bit as air tries to escape onto the windshield at speeds approaching 140 mph. I guess that's not really much to complain about. I'm told it can be adjusted, but there aren't many places in Northern California to test this.

Storage is less than Pam's previous SUV (Lexus RX400h) and next Xmas we will adjust our gift buying before driving to the kids ... the dogs take up space. If you plan on traveling you may want to take your luggage on a test drive.

My DD is a 2010 997.2 C4S that I enjoy pushing. Nonetheless, I am never disappointed when I get to drive the 45.

FWIW, 60 is also a memory for me!!!
I experienced the hood vibrating issue at the peak of dumbarton bridge 2 storms ago under very strong winds, its nerve wrecking but only lasted for 2-3 secs.

·
Registered
503 Posts
$650 plus tax for every 30,000 miles for amg is legit number, i called a few dealers, i am in mass. 2 hours of labor plus parts, 2 filters internal and external. Only dealer can do that service.
C

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the USA this service is every 30000 miles but 60 miles north of the 49th here in Manitoba it's required every 30000 km (approx 18000 miles)....go figure. The weather and the environment don't change that much in 60 miles north/south here. I talked with the local MB service manager and not complying will void the warranty. This is not an inexpensive service....my observation is about consistency of service requirements.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am coming from a Porsche 981. This car has the utility I needed. one poster above mentioned the difference in maintenance on a German car and non. it is true. My wife and I have owned Audi's, BMW's, now two MBZ's, three Lexi - and all of the German maintenance is higher to deal with. My advice - buy with a warranty.

losing the manual trans was the biggest loss.

BTW - you will find differences in all makers with USA/Canada.

Good luck - this car is sort of a unicorn. i drove a B7 S4 avant. Another unicorn. Perhaps it is a trend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Greetings. New here. Considering this vehicle.

Drove one last week and was on the whole quite impressed. I currently drive a Nissan 370z roadster, 6 speed manual, and would like more space, 4wd, but not give up a sporty fun drive. This MB CUV is really an interesting vehicle. Also the 370 is about to enter the 7th and last year of full warranty. If I'm going to give up the convertible then a sunroof is important and the sunroof in this MB is great.

Going through this forum there seems to be more than a few reliability/maintenance issues. There also seems to be a reluctance for MB to step up to the plate and honor a legitimate warranty issue or two...I.E... 1. Self destructing sunroofs, 2. Brakes - early wear (Infinity had this problem about 15 years ago with the G35 series and eventually stepped up to the plate and covered all brake wear for the duration of the warranty), and others.

Transmission service requirement @ 30k (miles?) and one individual was told that an MB service department wanted $650 for just this one service item, Front tire wear.....

Now the above concerns me.

With Nissan when things braek they simply get fixed. I've gone through a set of rear tires (275/35/19) in less than 13000 miles with a tread wear rating of 140 but that was my doing....they were simply fun to push a little now and then...and I'm age...let's say 60 is a memory.

So what I'm asking are these reliability/maintenance concerns of mine valid?

Many thanks for any replies.

Dave
Look at the one I have for sale in matte Gray it is fully serviced have just had transmission differential and Brake fluids done has brand new front and rear pads as well as front and rear rotors tires are practically brand new it is completely up-to-date all service was performed at my local Mercedes dealer have all receipts early issues them not honoring it it is a high-performance car there is not a single manufacturer that warranties brake pads there is no guarantee on how long they last because they vary on each driver and conditions I ran car dealerships for 25 years and lots of different points as far as makes and models and that is absolutely expressed in the new warranty that where items are not warrantied North will they be things that are never wanted to get on a new vehicle are brake pads brake linings wiper blades tires unless they have manufacturers defects you can burn through a set of brake pads and one weekend at the track so don't worry about that also the one I have for sale is certified by Mercedes and I upgraded it so it comes with a six-year unlimited mile comprehensive warranty from in-service date so I believe it is May of 2025 that it expires and it is the only matte-finish one from the factory for sale in the entire country and has just about every option you could possibly put on it except for the ridiculous spoiler make me a reasonable offer they run at auction dealer auction 4 low-to-mid 40s this one mine has close to a $75,000 MSRP and it is absolutely Immaculate inside and out I will include all matte finish Car Care materials as well as a 50 ml container of opaque wax which is about a $350 container I can have it delivered anywhere in the country for $800 in a covered transport if you come to look at it from out of state and is it could not exactly what I described and presented I will pay for your trip it also includes a full set of winter tires with high-performance blizzaks it has about 40,000 miles on it I have owned it for 35 of those 40 if you need financing I can put you in touch with somebody that can help you out it is one of six that were produced in that Desgno mountain Gray and this is the only one that is optioned this way the last service when they did the transmission and differentials was over $2,000 in the last year-and-a-half I have spent probably close to 10 grand in maintenance to make sure it's perfect and I have the records to show I will also include a full set of brake pads for front and rear currently has the best pads on the market EBC yellow stuff they create a lot of dust but they are by far the best Street Track combination pad you can purchase and they're half price of the factory pads there is also only one Master Mechanic that works on mine and have since I brought it there I'm sure he would be more than willing to speak to you as to the vehicle and its condition it is the ultimate sleeper if you look at my post you can can see one of the photos I posted was a screenshot of the latest auction reports for that vehicle through Manheim auctions which is the largest in the country for dealers and they are selling in the mid-40s with conditions that are far lower than mine mine is a 4.8 to a 4.9 most of those were in the low 4's high 3s they also don't list the options on those vehicles that were sold you can add 25 to $28,000 in options on it the matte finish alone is a $2,500 option plus you're getting $2,000 worth of wheels and tires extra above and beyond what's on it in the 35,000 miles I have driven it I have not had a single drivability issue nor a single check engine light nothing it is also the 375 horsepower version with the higher top-end at like a hundred and sixty-seven miles an hour and there is nothing to worry about on it because the maintenance is up-to-date from a dealer and it has Factory certification there is not a dime you'll need to spend on that vehicle for at least the next ten to fifteen thousand miles and that will entail an oil change and that's about it

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Look at the one I have for sale in matte Gray it is fully serviced have just had transmission differential and Brake fluids done has brand new front and rear pads as well as front and rear rotors tires are practically brand new it is completely up-to-date all service was performed at my local Mercedes dealer have all receipts early issues them not honoring it it is a high-performance car there is not a single manufacturer that warranties brake pads there is no guarantee on how long they last because they vary on each driver and conditions I ran car dealerships for 25 years and lots of different points as far as makes and models and that is absolutely expressed in the new warranty that where items are not warrantied North will they be things that are never wanted to get on a new vehicle are brake pads brake linings wiper blades tires unless they have manufacturers defects you can burn through a set of brake pads and one weekend at the track so don't worry about that also the one I have for sale is certified by Mercedes and I upgraded it so it comes with a six-year unlimited mile comprehensive warranty from in-service date so I believe it is May of 2025 that it expires and it is the only matte-finish one from the factory for sale in the entire country and has just about every option you could possibly put on it except for the ridiculous spoiler make me a reasonable offer they run at auction dealer auction 4 low-to-mid 40s this one mine has close to a $75,000 MSRP and it is absolutely Immaculate inside and out I will include all matte finish Car Care materials as well as a 50 ml container of opaque wax which is about a $350 container I can have it delivered anywhere in the country for $800 in a covered transport if you come to look at it from out of state and is it could not exactly what I described and presented I will pay for your trip it also includes a full set of winter tires with high-performance blizzaks it has about 40,000 miles on it I have owned it for 35 of those 40 if you need financing I can put you in touch with somebody that can help you out it is one of six that were produced in that Desgno mountain Gray and this is the only one that is optioned this way the last service when they did the transmission and differentials was over $2,000 in the last year-and-a-half I have spent probably close to 10 grand in maintenance to make sure it's perfect and I have the records to show I will also include a full set of brake pads for front and rear currently has the best pads on the market EBC yellow stuff they create a lot of dust but they are by far the best Street Track combination pad you can purchase and they're half price of the factory pads there is also only one Master Mechanic that works on mine and have since I brought it there I'm sure he would be more than willing to speak to you as to the vehicle and its condition it is the ultimate sleeper if you look at my post you can can see one of the photos I posted was a screenshot of the latest auction reports for that vehicle through Manheim auctions which is the largest in the country for dealers and they are selling in the mid-40s with conditions that are far lower than mine mine is a 4.8 to a 4.9 most of those were in the low 4's high 3s they also don't list the options on those vehicles that were sold you can add 25 to $28,000 in options on it the matte finish alone is a $2,500 option plus you're getting $2,000 worth of wheels and tires extra above and beyond what's on it in the 35,000 miles I have driven it I have not had a single drivability issue nor a single check engine light nothing it is also the 375 horsepower version with the higher top-end at like a hundred and sixty-seven miles an hour and there is nothing to worry about on it because the maintenance is up-to-date from a dealer and it has Factory certification there is not a dime you'll need to spend on that vehicle for at least the next ten to fifteen thousand miles and that will entail an oil change and that's about it
The member you directed your sales pitch to has not logged on since May, of 2017.

Just Sayin...........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts