Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the knowledge shared from this forum, I purchased a new set of tires that's a little wider and diameter (+2.2%) to have more options rather than the OEM tires that our cars came with.

I went with a 245/40ZR-20 BF GOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S XL (UTQG 400 AA A), which is an all season tire. Aside from the tire tread looking beefy and the side wall protruding to protect the rim from minor curb scratching, I like how the car handles with them.

Anyway, anyone know the proper inflation is with this size of tires on the OEM 20" rims?

Thanks in advance!

Reference:

Bought them from Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...odel=g-Force+COMP-2+A/S&partnum=44WR0GFC2ASXL

Tire size calculator
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looks good. More pics! Thx for taking the plunge. Given the OEMs are reported to wear quickly many of us will be in the same boat. I'm out of town this week so can't guarantee this is correct but I recall 37psi front, 38psi rear on the OEM 20s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the OEMs wore out quick, I was actually able to take them to 10K to the first service of the car but this is because I drive mostly highways and slow traffic back roads. At that point however, I was driving the car carefully with the weather and condition being cold, moist and wet.

What annoyed me even before this was the that because the OEMs are summer tires, during cold weather of mid-50ºs or lower, you would hear and feel this skipping thudding noise from the tires at 5mph or less speed full turns. To me that was a sign to change the tires even before the 10K came around.

Oh and MB dealership wanted to charge me $750 to change just the front tires :p So, I read a couple of threads here and got the info I need to buy a new set of tires.

So far, I like how these tires are performing. Waiting for the rain to come back in the Bay Area to see how they are during then.

I'll try to take more pics today.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The OEM figures for the 20's equate to 35f - 32r according to my sticker, that's up to 3 people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some photos of the new tires on the car. I've driven about 50 miles on them so far.

The last photo "wheel_well_compressed", shows the 1" or so space clearance between the tire and fender. As the arm is compressed, the wheel angles up and in - so it's safe to say there won't be any rub. The more I use the car, the more info I will have if we get any rubbing at all. Others with the same tire size but different brand of tires said they don't get any rubbing.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good! How is the ride compared to the old tires?
The ride feels the same, but I haven't really pushed it on sweeps and tighter turns. It does sound different on rough cracky-pot-holy-city roads, probably more noise. Perhaps due to the thicker and wider treads? I don't know. I do have more confidence in the tires knowing they are new :p So far, so good.

The tires are heavier than the OEM though 25lbs. vs. 29lbs. So definitely beefier.

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
Remember it takes about 500 miles to wear off the mold release. The tires will be slippery until then. New tread usually is quieter than worn tread. Different tires exhibit different degrees of noise. A lot of factors play into that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here are some photos of the new tires on the car. I've driven about 50 miles on them so far.

The last photo "wheel_well_compressed", shows the 1" or so space clearance between the tire and fender. As the arm is compressed, the wheel angles up and in - so it's safe to say there won't be any rub. The more I use the car, the more info I will have if we get any rubbing at all. Others with the same tire size but different brand of tires said they don't get any rubbing.
Good day Sir!

Thanks for sharing some photos of your new tires! The photos are a godsend! I have been contemplating changing to this size tires for quite a while and didn't have any reference photos to have a look at before I make the plunge.

Would you be kind enough to take a side view shot of the GLA with both wheels (with the new tires) showing?

Much thanks in advance.

Reactions: NoDozeJoe

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks great!!! I'm 6000k in, and I'm scared to check my tread. Lol. It's nice to know that there are options for us 20" folks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here you go.
Much thanks for the photos!

I have exactly the same wheel setup but was on the fence about replacing my 235/40/20s with 245/40/20s due to the thicker nature of the 245s and if they protrude out too much from the rim edge. Now with your photos, it completely removed my fears as well as saving me quite a bit of money as well, as only the authorised Merc dealer in my area carries the 235s, whereas the 245s are widely available in other tire shops!

Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update:
As per Carval's suggestion on what tire pressure he runs his Nitto NT555 Extreme 245/40/20 at, I've also done the same with mine.

37 psi on all of them.
Findings:
Smoother than the over inflated 40psi by the installers. I still have not pushed it yet, so more info to come as the weeks go.

Reference:
http://www.glaowners.com/forum/merc...ce-both-front-tires-already-3.html#post143337
http://www.glaowners.com/forum/merc...ce-both-front-tires-already-3.html#post143889

1 - 15 of 15 Posts