Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went in my Xentry looking at part numbers, to find out how much .. things cost, it can be fun.

So for the GLA45, up to 2019, the dual clutch 7 speed sells for $3,386.60, with a core charge of $810.

Except ..

If you have the 7 speed dual clutch with locking front diff. Then it costs $6,820.40, with a core charge of $910.

Funny, no?

I don't know yet how to get the complete engine part number, but I'm working on it.
BTW, the C63 7 speed is also in the $3000 range.

·
Registered
589 Posts
interesting. So, assuming a dealership labor rate of $300 an hour, and a 50% markup, it only takes like 3 hours to install? Assuming a more reasonable profit margin on parts, about 10-12 hours to install.

Interesting

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No, this is not the Dealer cost of labor installation of a gear box. This is the purchase price of a gearbox.
This is something that can help a DYI person.
Here's an example:
You buy at this price and instead of sending your old gearbox to them, you retail it for say $2000.
You know why you can retail yours for $2000? because most think that the cost of an AMG brand new dual clutch gearbox is a zillion dollars (purchase price, not install price), so they'll think that 2000 is the bargain of the century.
You remove the old one yourself and install the new one yourself. Of course some Xentry work may be needed, xentry is your friend as a DIY Mercedes enthusiast.
Now you have a new gearbox on board for $2100
It even increases the value of your car...
None of this applies to me, as I'm under warranty.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Porsche PDK is 20 to 25K dollars.
If you haven't done this already, I recommend checking this number with a part number. I think I saw somewhere that AMG gearboxes were tens of thousands of dollars. That's why I decided to check.
Now as far as the engines, it does appear that the hype is true.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked on ebay: yep, they sell for 2200 with 45,000 Miles.
People never bother to check the price new.
And I don't mean walking to the parts counter. There they will "visually prequalify" you and tell you outright double the list price. You have to know the part number and research online with the part number, with the online dealers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today I was trying to figure out with the MB parts guy why my parts software doesn't show the part number for a complete engine.
I am maybe close to figuring this out.
I think Mercedes is trying to close the loophole for crazy people like me. Because I won't settle with just the price new for my engine. I also need to know the price new of .. say .. an upgraded engine, that has no business being under the hood of my car.
I this case, we all know that fitting a new bodystyle engine is probably not going to work (or is it?).
But in the case of the C63, there are ... all kinds of.. that V8, up to a dry sump, 600 HP version.

Anyway..

Got the correct part number for the engine for my GLA

Turns out:
Mercedes is selling two options
an "Otto Engine" for $34,211

a "Remanufactured Spark Ignition Engine" for $21,591

Even more interesting is that neither of the two has a core charge.

Now for the C63, the prices hover between $18,900 and $20,000, but what doesn't ever change is a $12,680 core charge.
I guess they don't want that used M156 V8 floating around on the used market.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts