Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously considering purchasing a GLA, but I'm concerned (based on the small size of my garage door and the extremely narrow street I live on) about not being able to retract the exterior mirrors. I use this feature on my current vehicle multiple times a day. The dealer says they won't be able to do anything about it and he gave me the name of a local shop that specializes in aftermarket electronics.

Does anyone know if the mirrors on the US builds already have the motor/electronics required? Has anyone successfully retrofitted their GLA??

Thanks much.

·
Registered
470 Posts
US build cars doesn't have the motor but I think I read somewhere that other GLA/CLA that are built outside the US have electronic folding mirrors (iirc there is also a page on the manual talking about electronic folding mirrors but the option varies by country) so maybe you can order one of those motors and then have either your dealer or the local shop they referred to you to retrofit it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It might cost a lot for the dealer to do it considering all that's needed to make this happen, worth it if you really want it, just know labor cost will be up their.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Go figure… Canadian GLAs come with electric folding mirrors and US spec GLAs do not. Regardless, it is strictly a convenience matter since you can manually fold the mirrors back. To me, not a big deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the Canadian models have the option, so I will check and see if the local shop can order the motor.

Thanks for the replies.

And I wish it wasn't a big deal for me, but stopping the car on the street while trying to pass a truck so I can fold the mirrors in will get old very fast....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes Australian GLA's have them fitted as standard.... gotta say it is very handy, can operate them manually, also when you lock the car they fold in and then fold out when unlocked.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I really wouldn't have minded paying for this as an option or it really should have been included in the premium package at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I did all of the investigation and I'm sad to report that power mirrors cannot be added as an aftermarket upgrade. I will probably get one anyway, but it will definitely cause problems on occasion. Hopefully not that often, tho.

Thanks to all for weighing in. And do you recommend adding the 3M film to the mirrors to minimize scratching when I inevitably go a little to close to the wall?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Maybe just fold the driver side mirrors, should be easy enough as you can just reach it when you open the window. It should help.

What's your old vehicle? Check out how much wider or narrower the GLA is, it is 79.6 in including mirrors (71.0 in excluding mirrors).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I was planning to pull in the driver's side when needed (I did check and I can reach no problem). My old car is an ML430, which, believe it or not, is narrower with the mirrors out: 75" vs the 79.6" for the GLA. This is precisely why this has become such a dilemma for me. If I have to pull in the mirrors on the ML430 on occasion when I'm driving, then I will probably have to do it even more often with a wider vehicle. And I'll only be able to do it on one side. I also only have an 8' wide garage door, so I'll be hugging the driver's side of the entrance when I pull in and out. The GLA with one mirror folded is about the same size as the ML430 with both mirrors out, and I never go in or out of the garage without the mirrors in because it's quite tight and asking for trouble if you are the least bit distracted. (Especially when backing out: someone in my house who shall remain nameless ripped off the passenger mirror once because they had not retracted it when putting the car in the garage. That was a $1200 oops.)

Maybe MB USA will change their minds and offer the power mirror option on the 2016 model and I can upgrade.

A girl can hope.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Crazy that the GLA is actually wider than the ML.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I did all of the investigation and I'm sad to report that power mirrors cannot be added as an aftermarket upgrade. I will probably get one anyway, but it will definitely cause problems on occasion. Hopefully not that often, tho.

Thanks to all for weighing in. And do you recommend adding the 3M film to the mirrors to minimize scratching when I inevitably go a little to close to the wall?
I have an inch on each side of the mirrors when they are not folded in. Rear camera helps too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts