Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my 1st post to this forum. I live in Edmonton, Canada where it gets COLD. It's not unusual for us to get -30c in the winter and with windchill, it feels more like -50c to -60c. The last couple weeks it has been 'mild' here with -20c weather. During this weather, the power side folding mirrors on my 2016 GLA would fold completely forward making the side mirrors useless, and I would have to exit my vehicle and manually pull the back to where they should be. When this happens, the blind spot warnings would also malfunction.

I took it to the dealership and they told me that this is a common problem and it is due to the 'extreme cold' and that the sensors won't work in the cold. What was the fix for this problem you ask? Well, they told me to just turn off the convienence option of the power folding mirrors and I won't have any issues with it. Ummmmmmmm what? The fix to the problem is to NOT USE IT? This blew me away. I still can't beleive that this was the 'fix' to the problem. I have emailed Mercedes Benz directly about this but haven't heard back yet.

I am wondering if anyone else in this forum has run into this issue yet, and if their dealership has actually had a fix other than the suggestion given by my dealership.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I seem to remember that those of us with US cars don't have folding mirrors, at least in 2015. We do have the ability to dip the right side mirror when reversing, and I will report that it was -17 C today here, and my right side mirror dipped as usual. However, my blind spot assist didn't work and on other cold days I have gotten a message that my oil level was low, and I should check it the next time I refuel, although I didn't get that message today. When I have checked the oil, it seems ok. I must say that the GLA dipstick is really hard to read.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We have power folding mirrors?

·
Registered
55 Posts
From Toronto here, I haven't seen this issue on my car yet or my wife's '14 CLA250.
But our weather out here in the East does not get nearly as insane as in the Prairies.

We did see some dips into -20 ~ -30c here and there, but again I haven't seen that issue on neither of our cars.

·
Super Moderator
2,025 Posts
We have power folding mirrors?
Power mirrors also include puddle lights, but MB figures that USA citizens will move up to the GLC for these options since "We prefer bigger cars."

No, you can't retrofit them due to the wiring harness. But for my wife's tight parking lot I really would have preferred them for the safety of the car ...

Likewise we can't get storage trays under the front seats (these can be added later) or LED headlights (until 2018).

I haven't seen the 2018 DOG yet, but my guess is that with the 2018 model MB is giving the US driver a bit more respect 8).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, an update. Mercedes Benz Canada got back to my email and has referred the issue back to the dealership. I will update you on what they tell me next. And Yes, we DO have power folding side mirrors in Canada on our GLAs. Maybe Mercedes likes Canada the best? Just a thought. ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Mercedes' favorite is money.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wonder if it could related to temperature, maybe under freezing they don't fold to keep the motor from burning out if ice would keep the mirror from moving. Could be a temp sensor. Maybe they folded when above freezing and then wouldn't extend because it lowered to freezing. Just an idea, check the manual and see if it says anything.

·
Super Moderator
2,025 Posts
I wonder if it could related to temperature, maybe under freezing they don't fold to keep the motor from burning out if ice would keep the mirror from moving. Could be a temp sensor. Maybe they folded when above freezing and then wouldn't extend because it lowered to freezing. Just an idea, check the manual and see if it says anything.
That's a great thought. Over current sensing could protect the motor, but if the mirrors got stuck folded in then what protects the other cars on the road?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to clarify, the problem isn't that they don't unfold, the problem is that they fold all the way open so that the mirrors are pointing AWAY from my car. People beside me can use my mirrors to look at themselves. So it's like the complete opposite of folding in, they unfold all the way forward (if this makes sense). It's weird to see.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Maybe you could have the US version installed-at least you could use them. (ha ha) My wife has folding mirrors on her Lexus RX-I noticed on a cold day about a month ago that the mirrors were pointed out, as you describe. I had to use the mirror buttons to re position them. Only happened once. Maybe this is not just a German problem.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you're saying that times they unfold and move further than they should you need to see the dealer, that's a problem. Is it both mirrors? I would take a video with your phone to show the dealer in case it doesn't act up when you're there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're saying that times they unfold and move further than they should you need to see the dealer, that's a problem. Is it both mirrors? I would take a video with your phone to show the dealer in case it doesn't act up when you're there.

You are correct...they BOTH move WAY further ahead than they should...and YES, this is a problem, and YES the dealership knows this as they have had multiple complaints about this in the cold. Their suggested fix to this problem is "Turn off that option when it's cold". I messaged Mercedes Benz Canada about this, and they just referred it back to the dealership to look at it again. The dealership has not got back to me about it yet.

The dealership's 'suggested fix' of "Turn off that option when it's cold" is ludicrous. That's like me going in and telling them that none of the lights work, and the fix they offer is to not drive when it's dark.

I felt like I was going to explode on them when I was there...I instead, took my keys and left, so I could follow up with Mercedes Canada. Now I'm stuck in this circle of being referred back to the dealership.

This is frustrating, but I will still say that I love my GLA250! I truly do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem for a while, i live here in SK, i just snap it back in position and it works now, pretty sure it is going to do that again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just having lots of problems with electronics this winter season, blind spot not working, back up camera replaced, side mirror folding front ward and weather sealing on the door torn already

·
Registered
608 Posts
My Blindspot started giving inoperative messages a few weeks ago-I took it in and they put in a new radar source and wiring harness on the left side. I still randomly gives the message since the fix. They said it may have something to do with corrosion. Maybe it's related to wintry weather. Also, maybe it's good we don't have folding mirrors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also had my Blindspot give inoperative message when I started the car on especially cold, 0 degree F, mornings. Once I had driven it a while it fixed itself. If it is this common hopefully MB will eventually come up with a fix.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts