Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I am in the market for a GLA45 AMG. I am finding the 2015 year to be the closest in my price range. The GLA45 that I test drove and am talking has the following features:

Jupiter Red
$29,400
33K miles
2 owner (1 lease, 1 private)
Blind Spot Assist
AMG Performance Exhaust and Steering Wheel
Sunroof
Brown leather with brown wood trim
Premium Package
AMG Driver's Package
Multimedia
20" AMG wheels

Is this a good deal?

What is the reliability like on these models?
This specific year? I've researched and some sites say the M113 engine is very reliable and others have said the generic dislikes about the car itself, mainly reviews and such. Does the turbo experience better longevity compared to that of its competition and their manual trans? I will do more digging in the Issues & Problems forum.

If it matters, I will be upgrading from my 2005 C240 with 210,000 miles.

Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
I would think the price is in the ballpark for year and miles. I would check something like carfax for the history of the car for any major repairs or accidents and was serviced per factory schedules. AMG45 has a higher cost in service that is done due to sooner requirements and performance parts. We have a large membership from around the world. I have not seen anything that has popped up over the years as major common problems.

Reactions: Murr

·
Registered
363 Posts
Overpriced.

I paid a bit too much and got a similar deal. Basically flip the miles and price. Basically. And I got that deal 3 years ago. That car is worth less.

You need to decide what features are important to you. IMO, I wouldn't buy the car without Keyless GO. Maybe you don;t care so much about that feature. Goofy wings are are also deal breakers for me.

Other things to consider, 2015 is on the new side of the car product release, so it is real quirky. The transmission can be touchy at times, and soupy at others. Still other times, mostly in sport mode with aggressive driving, it is spot, spot on.

Other thing to look at is the MFG date with the VIN number. There were major changes mid model year that you have no idea about, and the cut-ins were totally random. For example, I am on FBS3 (I think that's the right acronym) because my car was manufactured in September 14, but if it were mfg in November, it would be FBS4. That's the underlying security setup. Highlights? the keys cost me over $100 less each (I think I paid $350 for a pair of keys? some folks here say they pay $250+ each). But Keyless GO is totally impossible because the structure is not there to support it. Another oddity is when they implement NTG, which is the multimedia backbone. I'm NTG 4.7, others are 5.0, 4.5, and it matters if you want to put the bigger screens in. Also implemented whenever MB darn well felt like it.

In other words, my '15, really, is a "2014", even though 2014 doesn't really exist. I guess 2014.5. I had no idea before I bought. so know what you're getting.

33k means no warranty right, which may or may not be an issue for you. If you know the car is GTG, much of it should be bulletproof. Maybe not.

My only other suggestions is make sure the roof works before buying, the clips are fragile and if they break, the seller will close the roof and hope you never check it before buying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Overpriced.

I paid a bit too much and got a similar deal. Basically flip the miles and price. Basically. And I got that deal 3 years ago. That car is worth less.

You need to decide what features are important to you. IMO, I wouldn't buy the car without Keyless GO. Maybe you don;t care so much about that feature. Goofy wings are are also deal breakers for me.

Other things to consider, 2015 is on the new side of the car product release, so it is real quirky. The transmission can be touchy at times, and soupy at others. Still other times, mostly in sport mode with aggressive driving, it is spot, spot on.

Other thing to look at is the MFG date with the VIN number. There were major changes mid model year that you have no idea about, and the cut-ins were totally random. For example, I am on FBS3 (I think that's the right acronym) because my car was manufactured in September 14, but if it were mfg in November, it would be FBS4. That's the underlying security setup. Highlights? the keys cost me over $100 less each (I think I paid $350 for a pair of keys? some folks here say they pay $250+ each). But Keyless GO is totally impossible because the structure is not there to support it. Another oddity is when they implement NTG, which is the multimedia backbone. I'm NTG 4.7, others are 5.0, 4.5, and it matters if you want to put the bigger screens in. Also implemented whenever MB darn well felt like it.

In other words, my '15, really, is a "2014", even though 2014 doesn't really exist. I guess 2014.5. I had no idea before I bought. so know what you're getting.

33k means no warranty right, which may or may not be an issue for you. If you know the car is GTG, much of it should be bulletproof. Maybe not.

My only other suggestions is make sure the roof works before buying, the clips are fragile and if they break, the seller will close the roof and hope you never check it before buying.
Thank you for the detailed response. I have read about '15 having transmission problems an revising in 2016. What sorts of problems occur with the transmission? I know the turbo lacked a diverter valve, but idk how that is detrimental?

How do I tell the year and manufacture year of the engine, trans, radio, and car itself?

To be honest, I don't need fancy tech or anything. It had what I needed: fast, AWD, working sunroof, heated seats, nice sound system, and some gadgets like back-up cam and blind side sensors.

I wish it had heated steering wheel, an LSD, and that AWD meant that all 4 wheels were on all the time like in my 4-matic.

·
Registered
363 Posts
VIN decoder tells you date of mfg, fsb, ntg, etc.

my transmission can only be faulted with not understanding my intentions regarding what gear I expect and how much clutch to apply. It results in some herky-jerky behavior maybe 5% of the time (which is annoyingly a lot). Beyond that, the throttle and clutch response is SUPER slow when the engine is cold, and you can’t fix that. I don’t drag race and don’t make questionable zips into oncoming traffic anymore, and that is that. That clutch behavior does sometime make it sound to other people like I have a stick shift and don’t know how to drive it.

all that vaporizes during spirited driving in sport mode in a warm car. Mostly since rpm is over 3k and stays there.

can’t help you on the diverter. I have a chip that claims 435 bhp on the car and I’m not confident adding a diverter would do anything for me.I have put the car on a dyno, and if the 18% drivetrain loss is true, I’m pretty close to that bhp number. I won’t bother goofing with it.

I can’t tell you how useful LSD or symmetric awd would be. I have tires on the car so sticky I just don’t slip to begin with. So no idea on under vs oversteer. On the OEM tires I got it to oversteer once in heavy rain. Hardly a benchmark. I don’t worry about having less power on the rear wheels most of the time. Thats just me tho. I drive spirited a few times a year, not a few times a week, discounting trying to hit 1g on certain corners and offramps sometimes. Doesn’t count.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As the title states, I am in the market for a GLA45 AMG. I am finding the 2015 year to be the closest in my price range. The GLA45 that I test drove and am talking has the following features:

Jupiter Red
$29,400
33K miles
2 owner (1 lease, 1 private)
Blind Spot Assist
AMG Performance Exhaust and Steering Wheel
Sunroof
Brown leather with brown wood trim
Premium Package
AMG Driver's Package
Multimedia
20" AMG wheels

Is this a good deal?

What is the reliability like on these models?
This specific year? I've researched and some sites say the M113 engine is very reliable and others have said the generic dislikes about the car itself, mainly reviews and such. Does the turbo experience better longevity compared to that of its competition and their manual trans? I will do more digging in the Issues & Problems forum.

If it matters, I will be upgrading from my 2005 C240 with 210,000 miles.

Thank you!!
I tell you what I have an 18 hard loaded amg window sticker was almost $80,000 high 70s I bought it with 5,000 miles on it it now has 40,000 in a year-and-a-half about and I have literally every day. In that car like I was in The Cannonball Run there is not a day that I don't break a hundred miles an hour I am on my 8th set of tires and I'm now I'm about to put on my third set of brake pads and front rotors redid the rear rotors and pads I went with the EBC yellow stuff incredible pad a lot of dust but if you want a pad that will perform and not fade I have yet to even have a check engine light come on I am had absolutely zero issues with mine you will not be disappointed it blows any other AMG out of the water for a driver's car you get the power of a V8 with the weight of a four cylinder so you get 0 body roll you can throw it into any corner you want and not have the front end push to the outside and here's a little trick if you put the vehicle in race mode and mash brake pedal and then gas it will hold at 4000 RPMs till you let off the break and then away you go don't need to use launch control kind of hanky and doesn't always activate and I think that's just user error because the wheels have to be perfectly straight and so on I picked mine up in January of 20 with 5,000 miles on it 4 37k plus ttl if you haven't bought it yet you won't get it for that price anymore used cars have jumped significantly due to a shortage of new my car will sell for mid-to-upper 40s now I just had my dealer that I serviced at offer me 44 for mine with 40,000 miles it does have matte paint and all the toys besides the ridiculous spoiler the nice part is if you like to work on it for instance the front brake change the pads requires you to move to remove 2 cotter pins Slide the pads in and out like a piece of toast replace cotter pins and your front brakes are done if it takes more than 15 minutes you might need somebody else to do them but it's fairly easy the Master Mechanic that works on mine at the Dealer's told me he's probably the only guy he's ever seen that actually drives and a mg like it's supposed to be driven and not use it as a garage ornament I've had an SL63 I am had a c63s I've had a g l e63s coupe suv cla45 and probably half a dozen other non-amg Mercedes this one by far is the best driver's car I reduced my car to about 2,900 lb removing multiple things that weren't necessary and you aren't going to find much that will outrun you stop light to stop light there are multiple piggyback tunes that don't require a new ECU and that can be removed and untraceable for service and maintainable factory warranty here's the deal befriend the service writer bring a nice whiskey or whatever he drinks butter him up and they will get a lot of s*** done for you this is based off of me being in the automotive industry for 25 years running car dealerships those are the guys who go to bat for you when there is a gray area but if you're someone that maybe doesn't treat him right or just pretty much ignores them and doesn't try to be their friend and they won't go to bat for them logo the bad for the people that they like where the people that you know bring with Starbucks gift card 10 or 20 bucks will repay you a hundredfold

1 - 9 of 9 Posts