Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

Potential Buyer: Help Me Out (2015 AMG - 30K miles)

8K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Shadofax 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All!

I was looking for a smaller SUV/Hatch and an 2015 AMG caught my eye. Took it for a drive and loved it. I was optimistically looking for something 2017 or newer, but for the same(ish) money, vs. a 2017 GLA250 I can get the AMG GLA45.

I'm a little worried about the Nav/UI/Backup camera as even on the test drive it felt laggy and slow - and would love Car Play or Android Auto but wasn't sure if that was something easily upgraded or just I'm SOL.

Had a few questions!

1. Reliability concerns or things I should look for on the car?
2. Owner feedback in general, rattles, just quality control stuff to watch for? Most reviews I have watched/read state that it's not really worth $60k+ but in this situation I'm looking at under 28,000 which seems like a steal for the performance, miles, and fit/finish
3. Regrets?

I never even considered Mercedes in my hunt for a new(ish) car but love this hatch and am having trouble finding anything comparable in a 25-30k budget.

My other option I'm entertaining is a 2017 GLA250 CPO from the local Mercedes dealer, which comes with another year of warranty (bumper to bumper until 2022) for about $4k less, which I'm also considering. From what I can see, it may be possible to do an ECU flash or tune to squeeze more power out of that, along with getting carplay and just a newer model year, but missing the better brakes, quality interior and other stuff.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the GLA forum! I’m not an AMG owner but can offer a couple general comments. First, 2015 was the first GLA production year for US deliveries. There were several improvements including transmission and backup video screen that were improved in 2016 then other incremental upgrades each year thereafter. Depending on your comfort level, CPO is a good option where you might be able to negotiate additional warranty or other benefits. If Apple CarPlay or Android Auto are important to you, then you’ll want a GLA built after 1 December 2015 (mid-year 2016 model or later) and so-equipped, though you will find some workarounds here plus some dealers are doing retrofits.

Suggest you use our Search function (upper right on most browsers) to get more specific information you might be interested in. We have a large body of knowledge on MY 2015 GLAs. Hopefully other owners will join in with more specific experience.

BTW, you might want to share where you’re located, could be useful for other member comments.

#3 ·
You really need to decide do I want high performance or everyday driver. That is 0 to 60 in 4.8 sec or 7.1 sec. The higher performance does come with a price when replacing brakes and normal service maintenance. Most of the specs from 2015 to 2017 does not change you might want to check out this website.

https://media.mbusa.com/releases/2015-gla-specifications

#4 ·
Definitely appreciate the feedback. I frankly went in to test drive some smaller crossovers, the GLA250 being on the list along with Audi, Infiniti, and the X3.

I saw the AMG beside the GLA250 I was interested in, and was close enough in price that I thought "why not give it a spin" and it just was night and day from drive style - Driving the GLA250 felt sad and lethargic after the AMG, ha.

I've had quite a few performance cars in the past, and don't really "go after that" as much but it's definitely addicting / satisfying to have some real power. That and the MSRP difference of nearly $30k, being brought down to a $4,000 gap seemed like the value is there.

I am leaning toward the GLA simply because it's newer and certified pre-owned, and wanted to look into potential tuning/ECU flashes and such to get a little more power out down the line if I want. It seems like the best compromise.

In Northern VA, by the way. The Carmax up here has 5(!) AMG45's right now, 4 2015's and 1 2016. The 2016 is $8,000 more, though.

You really need to decide do I want high performance or everyday driver. That is 0 to 60 in 4.8 sec or 7.1 sec. The higher performance does come with a price when replacing brakes and normal service maintenance. Most of the specs from 2015 to 2017 does not change you might want to check out this website.

#6 ·
I was in a similar boat and pricing you are being quoted sounds great. I would try to get extended warranty. I do wish I had Apple Car Play but hey just for the fun factor the GLA45AMG will always top the 250. Like others have mentioned have to be ready for more expensive maintenance.

#7 ·
I knew that with the 45 out there I would always feel shorted with a 250. That's not to say anything negative about the 250. It's just that all things considered the 45 was the only option I could consider.

It is true that only a company unconcerned with the bottom line would build a car like the 45. It's a crazy concept. All the more draw to it.

But that's my opinion and may not have anything to do with your decision.

#9 ·
The GLA45 is a great car... not much else like it! We love ours overall, but my 2 biggest complaints are about the infotainment. I think it's just clunky and awkward for one, and bluetooth volume is so low that it isn't usable. Sounds odd, I know. I've had mine in to the dealer twice for voice-recognition and bluetooth volume issues, and still neither work worth a ****. As for reliability, performance, MPG, and practicality it's been great for us. Maintenance is really expensive for AMG models. How much is that '16 going for? I'd like to think that mine (hard-loaded 2016, 13k miles) would retail for upper $30's but who knows.

#10 ·
...bluetooth volume is so low that it isn't usable. Sounds odd, I know. I've had mine in to the dealer twice for voice-recognition and bluetooth volume issues, and still neither work...
It's so reassuring to hear somebody else state that. That was a concern I had from day of delivery to now. Took it to be my GLA only. I had two C-Class sedans with bluetooth that were seamless in volume to radio or other media, but in the GLA if you go from bluetooth back to radio without adjusting down the volume, you're in for a shock. And after several "can not duplicate(s)" I gave up. Service rep kinda agreed with me when I demonstrated it more than once, but service department wasn't too motivated to remedy.

#15 ·
Some thoughts after about 10K miles and 14 months with a 2015 GLA45 AMG

All of the GLAs look good to me...cool design mixed with practicality/luxury/performance/sleeper depending upon the set-up:
+ Luxury/Aesthetic touches are possible with optional wood, leather, covered dashboard, panoramic sunroof, blackout trim...it's a pretty nice place to be when stuck in traffic or behind someone slower (open up the sunroof & windows, turn on the music, pretend you have a convertible but stick with hardtop rigidity :laugh:).
+ MPG is variable as you can drive slower and get decent mileage (for a car that has has fun/bad intentions)
- Some frame noise, maybe due to panoramic roof on mine? One air vent bugs me and needs to be fixed/replaced.
- I have grey paint but if you have red, you can see the red paint on the door from the interior at the door seam near the B-pillar so some don't like the door panel fitment.
- If made in first 6 months, tech is less upgradeable than later "2015" models, post-2015 models have tech some like better.
+/- There is some concern over early year transmissions but that can make them a better deal.

GLA250 (loaner during service): Smaller stock wheels and more clearance/compliance for a much better ride over bad roads. Note: I didn't do anything except drive it home and back to dealership.
CLA250 (loaner during service): Felt weird to me, prefer GLAs to CLA. Note: I didn't do anything except drive it home and back to dealership.
GLA45: When road is clear, turn off the radio and drive the known twisties manually at higher RPM with tuneful exhaust punctuated by crackling upshifts and burbling downshifts...or commute, but avoid potholes.

2015 AMG?

While the rear seat is more spacious than other cars with good performance, my 2015 has a stiff ride (20" wheels, performance suspension...plus the 2015 year does not offer optional dynamic suspension control).

The panoramic sun roof gives a less claustrophobic experience from the rear seat. Several factors make things nice for passengers, but the stiffer ride is the one thing felt by everyone in order to get the driving feel of being really planted in turns and at higher speeds. (I have not driven a GLA250 over same roads but imagine this is a tradeoff.)

2015 performance suspension and 20" wheels are not that fun for me as a daily driver if going over bad roads and potholes- I do go slower or try to avoid them. Or take commuter car as my daily driver. It's a mix for me. (Maybe 19" wheels are the right compromise? Do the look of 20" wheels have an influence?)

These are different tradeoffs that you can choose from for aesthetics, performance, comfort.

$28K Deal?
Got mine for about $40K with 12K miles on it. Now have 22K miles. $28K for a 2015 AMG with 30K miles seems pretty darn good!

Find the most suitable balance point for yourself with this vehicle model, year, and options. Tilt the combo towards your highest priorities and most probable use cases. Good luck with your decision!

#21 · (Edited)
Some thoughts after about 10K miles and 14 months with a 2015 GLA45 AMG

All of the GLAs look good to me...cool design mixed with practicality/luxury/performance/sleeper depending upon the set-up:
+ Luxury/Aesthetic touches are possible with optional wood, leather, covered dashboard, panoramic sunroof, blackout trim...it's a pretty nice place to be when stuck in traffic or behind someone slower (open up the sunroof & windows, turn on the music, pretend you have a convertible but stick with hardtop rigidity :laugh:).
+ MPG is variable as you can drive slower and get decent mileage (for a car that has has fun/bad intentions)
- Some frame noise, maybe due to panoramic roof on mine? One air vent bugs me and needs to be fixed/replaced.
- I have grey paint but if you have red, you can see the red paint on the door from the interior at the door seam near the B-pillar so some don't like the door panel fitment.
- If made in first 6 months, tech is less upgradeable than later "2015" models, post-2015 models have tech some like better.
+/- There is some concern over early year transmissions but that can make them a better deal.

GLA250 (loaner during service): Smaller stock wheels and more clearance/compliance for a much better ride over bad roads. Note: I didn't do anything except drive it home and back to dealership.
CLA250 (loaner during service): Felt weird to me, prefer GLAs to CLA. Note: I didn't do anything except drive it home and back to dealership.
GLA45: When road is clear, turn off the radio and drive the known twisties manually at higher RPM with tuneful exhaust punctuated by crackling upshifts and burbling downshifts...or commute, but avoid potholes.

2015 AMG?

While the rear seat is more spacious than other cars with good performance, my 2015 has a stiff ride (20" wheels, performance suspension...plus the 2015 year does not offer optional dynamic suspension control).

The panoramic sun roof gives a less claustrophobic experience from the rear seat. Several factors make things nice for passengers, but the stiffer ride is the one thing felt by everyone in order to get the driving feel of being really planted in turns and at higher speeds. (I have not driven a GLA250 over same roads but imagine this is a tradeoff.)

2015 performance suspension and 20" wheels are not that fun for me as a daily driver if going over bad roads and potholes- I do go slower or try to avoid them. Or take commuter car as my daily driver. It's a mix for me. (Maybe 19" wheels are the right compromise? Do the look of 20" wheels have an influence?)

These are different tradeoffs that you can choose from for aesthetics, performance, comfort.

$28K Deal?
Got mine for about $40K with 12K miles on it. Now have 22K miles. $28K for a 2015 AMG with 30K miles seems pretty darn good!

Find the most suitable balance point for yourself with this vehicle model, year, and options. Tilt the combo towards your highest priorities and most probable use cases. Good luck with your decision!

This is a nice write up on what the car is about, and points to why I bought this insanely fun car. Oh, I suspect the 19's and keeping with 45 aspect vs. getting more lowered makes my ride a little better. I'm using 245/45/19 Conti DWS06 ultra high perf. AS for winters here in colorado. Not noisy, lasting well, and work in snow (in the 6" max I can likely handle before being a plow up front).

Coincidentally my wife's 2018 very loaded GLA will come off its 2-year lease with an anticipated buy out of $28K. So same for a 2015 45 AMG is pretty darn good indeed !!

This is a loaded GLA250? Make sure you do the math, buying from lease usually will cost you some. Understand what you have paid out in lease cost to this point, then add what they want for the car. You're not far from just going back a year or so and turning this in and getting a 2015/2016 AMG for near same price. Not that she would want all the speed....

Thanks so much all, I updated in the Owners / Welcome Forum the other day - but logic overtook emotion and I went with the 2017 GLA 250 for less money, some more general features, and still fun to drive. I figured if I really have remorse 2-3 years down the line, I'll get a 2017-2018 AMG to upgrade, or look at some simple tuning upgrades (ECU flash, etc.) if performance is lacking. Logic told me going to a 2015 model year was a bad move when trying to get a newer car, but it was just so **** fun to drive (which probably would get me in trouble!)

My driving is limited, in general (short commute, most family driving is in our minivan, etc.) so the 250 feels like a good balance of price and performance and met my overall needs of a smaller hatch back, some luxury features, budget, and some more modern tech (sensors, backup camera, carplay) which I was lacking in my prior car.

I'm sure i'll see you all in the AMG world in the future :)

So far I've stayed out of trouble, but the sentiment on fun to drive and having control is something I am working on. It's good I went for a total sleeper car most would not identify as very fast. I would have already been in trouble with a serious sports car that looks the part (but does not have AWD, get 25MPG avg. or have rear folding seats to haul things, nor could it fit 4 adults comfortably.)

Reactions: RevItUp and CEETEE
#18 ·
I agree with the display short comings. Even with the optional larger display on my 2015 GLA45, I couldn't stand the Navigation and graphics. Decided to go with an Android touch screen display with 10.25 screen. Now I have Google maps, Sygic and Waze. It is a plu'n'play replacement for the factory display and still retains all the factory functionality and the screen functions.

#19 ·
Thanks so much all, I updated in the Owners / Welcome Forum the other day - but logic overtook emotion and I went with the 2017 GLA 250 for less money, some more general features, and still fun to drive. I figured if I really have remorse 2-3 years down the line, I'll get a 2017-2018 AMG to upgrade, or look at some simple tuning upgrades (ECU flash, etc.) if performance is lacking. Logic told me going to a 2015 model year was a bad move when trying to get a newer car, but it was just so **** fun to drive (which probably would get me in trouble!)

My driving is limited, in general (short commute, most family driving is in our minivan, etc.) so the 250 feels like a good balance of price and performance and met my overall needs of a smaller hatch back, some luxury features, budget, and some more modern tech (sensors, backup camera, carplay) which I was lacking in my prior car.

I'm sure i'll see you all in the AMG world in the future :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.