Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on leftlanenews.com but not on any other source.

Apparently there was a problem with the laser machine that was welding the turbocharged, direct-injected 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and the welds can potentially fail and damage the engine.

Has anyone heard anything about it or is leftlanenews wrong?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely sound like a engine replacement. I'll contact my service manager tomorrow to get a update on this issue. Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Great. That's what I get for being an early buyer of the GLA.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's a total of 857 GLAs and CLAs made in that six week period, and that doesn't even sound like all the CLAs and GLAs made in that span, so it's not that many really.
It's also not a total engine replacement, but just the camshaft. Still a big job, but not an engine swap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I googled it and found the link where the recall information is posted.
</title> <meta name="description" content="" > <meta name="author" content="" > <meta name="keywords" content="" > <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="safercar/jquery-ui

It says...
SUMMARY:
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (Mercedes-Benz) is recalling certain model year 2015 CLA250, CLA250 4Matic, GLA250, GLA250 4Matic, and 2016 SLK300 roadster vehicles manufactured July 17, 2015, to August 31, 2015. The affected vehicles have intake or exhaust camshafts whose welds may fail and possibly cause engine damage.

Owners may contact Mercedes-Benz customer service at 1-800-367-6372. Mercedes-Benz's number for this recall is 2015100006

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all, new here. I am a CLA owner but we have some information on our forum regarding the recall.

If you visit mbusa.com/recalls and enter your VIN, you should see if your vehicle is affected. Regardless, you should see the Model and Year of your vehicle show up.

Please see the attached link to the CLA equivalent forum thread, it may help with info there as well.
ALERT RECALL: Certain MY 2015 CLA250s have been recalled

Cheers!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello all, new here. I am a CLA owner but we have some information on our forum regarding the recall.

If you visit mbusa.com/recalls and enter your VIN, you should see if your vehicle is affected. Regardless, you should see the Model and Year of your vehicle show up.

Please see the attached link to the CLA equivalent forum thread, it may help with info there as well.
ALERT RECALL: Certain MY 2015 CLA250s have been recalled

Cheers!
Thanks!
The actual recall link is Mercedes-Benz USA

·
Registered
172 Posts
...how can you tell when your car was manufactured? (the date)
The manufacture date (Month and year) is on the label on the driver's door jam.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
You can also insert your vin into the recall site to see if yours need to be brought in.
I checked my VIN yesterday on the MB site. Even though mine was one of the early 2015 builds, it doesn't show up as needing repair.

That's quite a relief, since replacing the cam is a fairly major operation. Not sure I trust a mechanic getting paid shop rate to get all the pieces back where they belong. An acquaintance who worked as a professional mechanic for many years at MB and Volvo dealerships told me it was not uncommon to have several screws or bolts leftover after a major repair. Those fasteners might not be critical to the car's operation, but I would want them all back where the came from just the same.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts