Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After tracking my VIN (aka Cargo ID), my GLA250 was released by the Liner and US Customs on 11/17 in Baltimore, MD. The car is still being held-up somewhere between the 58 mile drive from port and the dealer.

It's my assumption (as well as the dealer), its being held at the Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) for European Emissions testing (thanks to VW). However, its been nine (9) days. The VPC does do inspections, recalls, and repairs when arriving at port, but as the days grow longer, so does my list of concerns about the vehicle.

Anyone had recent delays with the 2016 GLA? It's my understanding there was a recall with the camshaft welds. Should the dealer know whats holding this vehicle up?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
After tracking my VIN (aka Cargo ID), my GLA250 was released by the Liner and US Customs on 11/17 in Baltimore, MD. The car is still being held-up somewhere between the 58 mile drive from port and the dealer.

It's my assumption (as well as the dealer), its being held at the Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) for European Emissions testing (thanks to VW). However, its been nine (9) days. The VPC does do inspections, recalls, and repairs when arriving at port, but as the days grow longer, so does my list of concerns about the vehicle.

Anyone had recent delays with the 2016 GLA? It's my understanding there was a recall with the camshaft welds. Should the dealer know whats holding this vehicle up?
The recall was for late 2015 builds.

Did you order a GLA45 or GLA250? The 45s are being held in port, as reported in different threads here, but are said to be ready for release next week.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I was getting antsy about my GLA getting from boat to dealer this past summer I was told the things that would usually hold up cars at VPC was repairing shipping damage (unlikely), installing options, or a major backlog of cars ahead of you (maybe all those GLA45s?). Without all that it should only take a day to get a car through VPC. We're also going into a holiday weekend, so that could be an issue too.
As far as the dealer knowing anything beyond their sales quota, I kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Since you are getting a GLA250 (GLA45s are being held for now) I suspect it is just the processing of many new MB vehicles thru the VPC… if you include today it really only been 6 business days at the VPC. I betcha it will pop up at the dealership very soon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I live right around the corner from the rail yard in MD which stores the new cars. There is a field of cars out there when I drove by today. lol. Every brand you can think of. I don't know if your car is in there, but they seem to be extremely busy the last few days. I seen lots of railcars being loaded and convoys of transport trucks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My dealer and I were discussing the GLC release. They are expecting a flood of GLCs to show up next week for that launch. Maybe that is contributing to the delay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
GLA 250 Delayed Due to Camshaft defect verified

After speaking with my dealer today, my 2016 GLA250 ETA is mid December from Baltimore port due to a camshaft replacement. I noted to the dealer that this only affected GLA's that were manufactured through August 31st 2015. I ordered mine late September. I assume Mercedes already had one prepared, just stripped/added an option or two based on my order.

Hopefully this fix won't be the start of more serious issues with this model.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
After speaking with my dealer today, my 2016 GLA250 ETA is mid December from Baltimore port due to a camshaft replacement. I noted to the dealer that this only affected GLA's that were manufactured through August 31st 2015. I ordered mine late September. I assume Mercedes already had one prepared, just stripped/added an option or two based on my order.

Hopefully this fix won't be the start of more serious issues with this model.
That is pretty disturbing. Did you check your VIN against the MB master recall list to see if that's correct? If it is, then those of us who got early 2016 deliveries might also be impacted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today someone from Mercedes Inventory contacted the Baltimore VPC to determine the reason for my 2016 GLA250 4-Matic delay (since being released from the Liner and Customs on 11/17). The POC noted that the VPC addressed the delay. Apparently the VPC responded that the 2016 GLA has a camshaft defect and recall. The Mercedes Benz contact noted that my 2016 GLA250 would not be available until mid-December.

According to Safercar.gov, approximately 900 model-year 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 and CLA250 4Matic sedans, GLA250 and GLA250 4Matic SUVs, and model-year 2016 SLK300 roadsters were recalled for manufacturing dates between July 17 and Aug. 31, 2015. Because my 2016 order went into Production on 10/30/2015, a 2016 model should NOT fall into this recall range (am I wrong?).

Checking the 2016 Production VIN, there are no recalls for this vehicle. Something doesn’t add up with the information provided by the VPC. Either the number of recalls increased affecting 2016 models, the VIN provided to me is incorrect, or the model at the VPC is a 2015 model and not what I ordered. I'll update everyone as I find out more.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Today someone from Mercedes Inventory contacted the Baltimore VPC to determine the reason for my 2016 GLA250 4-Matic delay (since being released from the Liner and Customs on 11/17). The POC noted that the VPC addressed the delay. Apparently the VPC responded that the 2016 GLA has a camshaft defect and recall. The Mercedes Benz contact noted that my 2016 GLA250 would not be available until mid-December.

According to Safercar.gov, approximately 900 model-year 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 and CLA250 4Matic sedans, GLA250 and GLA250 4Matic SUVs, and model-year 2016 SLK300 roadsters were recalled for manufacturing dates between July 17 and Aug. 31, 2015. Because my 2016 order went into Production on 10/30/2015, a 2016 model should NOT fall into this recall range (am I wrong?).

Checking the 2016 Production VIN, there are no recalls for this vehicle. Something doesn’t add up with the information provided by the VPC. Either the number of recalls increased affecting 2016 models, the VIN provided to me is incorrect, or the model at the VPC is a 2015 model and not what I ordered. I'll update everyone as I find out more.
Which site did you use for your VIN check. I can check with my VIN since I already have my 16 GLA.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unless there is an incoming recall, i have none.

·
Registered
179 Posts
A Mercedes-Bezn repair campaign is not the same as a recall. A recall is forced by the government. Mercedes and all manufacture doe their own campaigns when they need to correct things and don't always go the official route as that makes it look worse.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Just a guess but since its a camshaft, wouldn't the date the engine was manufactured be more important that the date the car was assembled. Maybe the date range is the engine assembly date?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RVittori - You make a good point that the engine could be impacted due to its build date. I just assumed that it would have been addressed at the MB plant prior to shipping across the Atlantic. Im my mind, there should have been enough time for MB to address this at the factory before shipping a defective engine with the car (provided the engines can be serviced at the final assembly/production facility).

If my VPC delay is caused by this camshaft issue, those who have already received their 2016 GLA (prior to 11/17) may potentially be impacted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Adding to the Mystery of the GLA

The dealer (after a promise to follow up on some research) contacted me today and stated they reached out to the VPC again since further review of the delay reason (a recall) appeared to be inaccurate and didn't add up.

Another VPC representative noted that they were not aware of a recall on the 2016 GLA 250, but was waiting for a part from Germany (for my GLA). To add to the mystery, the VPC Rep didn't acknowledge what the part was, or what it was for.

I'm hoping that the factory forgot to have something awesome installed (e.g., Apple CarPlay) and this might be the reason for the delay. Perhaps they're retrofitting it James Bond style, pimping it out like the Presidential Limo, or going to surprise me with an AMG upgrade, a large paper check, and helium balloons since I'm the 1000th GLA customer for 2016...whooo!

The mystery continues....

·
Registered
182 Posts
There are some options that are installed at the VPC instead of the factory. I can't remember which ones exactly, but IIRC it's things like navigation and mud flaps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts