Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

Does your sunroof glass stand the same distance from the fixed-glass roof when your sunroof is open?

• No, but it's only 1/8" (3.2mm) or so different

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but it's only 1/4" (6.4mm) or so different

• No, and it's around 1/2" (13mm) or so different

• No, and it's well over 1/2" (13mm) different (please reply with how far off we're talking here...!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my GLA 250 back after its second extended stay at the dealership to fix my sunroof. Now, it does open and close (the last time they gave it back to me, it opened but wouldn't close!). But, when the front glass is in the all the way back position (sunroof fully open), it is up higher on one side than the other. When I got it back from them the first time, it was 3/8" higher on the driver's side than on the passenger. Now, it's more like 1/4" higher on one side but at least it opens and closes. I find it hard to believe this is to Mercedes specifications.

So, here's my Poll Question:
Does your sunroof glass stand the same distance from the fixed-glass roof when your sunroof is open?

If not equal, how different is the height from one side to the other? My photos (linked here) might show the measurement I'm asking about better than my description. Thanks for participating!

Photos of the sunroof open lopsidedly: New photo by Christine Seel
Driver's side: New photo by Christine Seel
Passenger side: New photo by Christine Seel

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
I have a very good eye for alignment Christine (in fact too good at times, which feeds my semi-OCD) and my roof is too close to equal to bother measuring.

imho your tech's should have done a better fine tune adjustment. Granted it's a bit tedious to do so, requiring trial & error going back and forth from side to side to tweak the respective runner screws, but still .... :cautious:

example, showing much tweaking/testing:

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Huey52. The video you provided shows where the measurements should be taken, and I think I'll give it a try to document those as well. I realize that I put the wrong links in my post and have corrected them.

Obviously, my concern is that if it's out of alignment, will any torquing or twisting of the sunroof on its rails eventually lead to failure, and of course if it's not properly aligned, how can I know that it makes a watertight seal when closed? I don't think there should be such an obviously discernable difference in the alignment and height of the sunroof, but this is my first Mercedes so I thought maybe German engineering isn't what it used to be? My grandfather may have just cursed me from the grave for saying that!

No one has ever described me as being OCD, but another thing that is driving me nuts right now is that after the car was returned the first time, there was a rattle in the headliner that was driving me absolutely NUTS! It was altering the way I drive, just to avoid hearing the rattle (so maybe that is a little OCD, if "a little OCD" isn't an oxymoron). I am convinced that a tech left a wrench or trim removal tool behind in the headliner, or that a clip got broken or something and is rattling around in there. They supposedly found the problem causing the noise and fixed it, but it's as loud and annoying as ever. If this is an independent measure of how good their "quality control" is, I think Euro Motorcars of Devon (PA) sucks, overall.

I agree that the process may be tedious. Isn't that why they get the big bucks and lots of training? Especially after the fuss I made about the first debacle where they returned my car in worse condition than when I brought it in to fix the sunroof, I was assured that I would get the best of the best of what they had to offer if I would bring it back to them. I very reluctantly did take it back to them, given such reassurances. On this most recent visit, it was supposedly put through their most stringent quality control process after being repaired. So, if this was the best they had to offer I think I better find someone that has a better "best"! In the meantime, I'm hoping some other members here will report back on their sunroofs. While you and I apparently have standards, let's see if Mercedes does as well.

I'm not sure what my next step will be (other than turning up the radio to drown out the noise while I drive around with a closed sunroof), but in the meantime, I'll continuing gathering as much information as possible. Hopefully, we'll get some participants in the poll. Thanks for the great link and feedback about your pano!

·
Super Moderator
1,872 Posts
At a certain point a call to MBUSA may be in order. An organization as large as MB can't control every service department but we all have a right to expect premium service from this brand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yup i had the same exact thing right after my driver side front pano roof guide shattered into a trillion pieces (of course at this point i didn't know that yet, but i heard a "machine gun type noise" one day when closing it and it subsequently didn't close all the way) - so i manually pushed it down when i returned home and it looked like this:

so i went about the business of removing the headliner to see what was up (no pun):

this was an enormous pain in the ass but i was finally able to get the roof off:

then i did a bunch of research on these roofs and with mine being out of warranty, i simply prepped it to "glue" on with windshield bond (got the idea from another forum where the same thing happened and this was their solution):

i took the opportunity to jettison some dead weight:

both the roof and sun curtain motor as well as all the stuff above removed. no codes or anything.

total cost: $100 or so, maybe less, but a lot of hours in lost time and some very choice expletives being belted out :rolleyes::p:ROFLMAO::LOL: i can look back and laugh now but it was very not funny at the time. 😬 fortunately all has been well with it since the "repair".

TL;DR: absolutely i believe that if it is not aligned properly, it will break completely at some point and as you've been through, WOW is this a PITA journey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts