Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I was recently heading to the airport for vacation and I decided to open my sunroof. Upon opening it I didn’t hear any infamous “machine gun noises” or Clunks that would’ve raised red flags. It was at the point that I parked the car and tried to close the sunroof that once it shut completely I realized one corner (passenger side back corner was raised about an inch or 2... now that I’m back from vacation I’m trying to figure it out and not having any luck. When I try to open it, it acts like it will open but then shuts and goes right back closed. Theirs no way from what I can tell that it’s able to be taken off because I can’t reach the bolts to dismantle being that it’s completely shut. I’ve tried to reset the sunroof.. nothing. I’ve also tried to use force to push it back down in position but I’m afraid to crack the glass. Can anyone walk me through this I’m sure the dealership will take an arm and a leg just to resolve this issue. I only want it shut for not I have no cares about it working correctly. Thanks in advance for ANY advice you might have!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest I never had it serviced nor lubed... at the moment I’m not concerned with it working more so with just getting it to sit flush and completely closed so water doesn’t keep getting in...

·
693 Posts
It appears that is a problem with the sunroof as there have been several posts of the same thing. Check these posts.
The second post has many others reporting the same problem. Looks like a plastic shoe is a problem.

Reactions: Lazzc23

·
Registered
324 Posts
yup.

That sucker is broken. Welcome to the club.

If it's under warranty, take it back for inspection asap. The dealer will replace the entire assembly to fix it.

---------------------------

If it's not, sorry dude, you're in for a world of pain.

the plastic bushings are available on ebay for $12 a pair, and they are physically impossible to put in. It's a pretty good racket by the ebay company, actually.

If you are not super handy, your moonroof is done. You need to slowly open up the other side while you're watching the roof, and get it into a position where you can snap the broken side into place. Then close the roof and call it good. Until you are willing to either pay thousands for the dealer to replace the whole assembly, or unless you know how to put two quarters into an empty beer bottle, because that's literally the equivalent fix, once you have the $12 bushings in hand.

Fun!

·
Registered
324 Posts
To clarify, when you open the roof you'll see right away the part that is broken, comparing sides. The bearing shaft is also a hinge for the moonroof, which is hinged up and thus won't close. It's harder to describe than it is when you see it. When you pop it back into place you'll see nothing is holding the bearing shaft into the track anymore. But it's good enough to close the roof.

Even if both sides are broken, you can get the moon roof to close. Just be not moving, in your driveway, and go slow to guide it into place. It'll seal up just fine to go to car washes, be in the rail, etc. No biggie. But I wouldn't open it when moving. Not until the bearing triangle pieces are back in place. The impossible-to-install ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses everyone... sad to say Mercedes Benz of Tampa was quoting me over $5k in repairs and labor.. so I went with the only option I had left which was to completely break that piece off and now it sits flush and thankfully the rubber seals aren’t allowing water nor air to enter through it. Unfortunately I had to take that route but it rains every other day and that whoosh of air driving on the highway was driving me nuts. Btw that two quarters in a beer bottle brought tears of laughter to my eyes. You’re hilarious man. Best endeavors everyone !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts