·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my results

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey Boris! Can you please take a shot further away from the car?

Would love to see how the blacked out grills/star matches the rest of the car at a distance!

Am thinking of doing that but in gloss black instead as I have the Night package.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Boris, are the grill and star plasti dipped? the dull black logo looks cool
Yes indeed, I dipped the star and grill as well. And my chrome trim around the windows.

I will snap some more pictures next visit to the car wash :)

Make sure you take your time masking!

·
Registered
63 Posts
did you use the spray can variety of the plasti dip or remove the items and actually submerse them? I'm guessing since you masked off it must have been a spray application

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another question, how did you prep the surface of the star. Light sanding? Plasti Dip Primer? LMK
Plasti-dip adheres to ANYTHING, so no prep for the surface other than really fine coats at first.

Don't over-think plasti-dip, it truly is sooooo easy to use, your only concerns are keeping it out of your intercooler, radiator or in your brakes.

One big tip: Do a LOT of coats. The thicker the dip, the easier it is to peel off later.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
skid plate, is there even a point with it being under the caR?
Not really. Except that I do go off-road in my GLA, so I do like that I don't have to throw so much mud and other debris and pile up underneath the car.

It really doesn't have much protective ability as I suspect it's made from thick ABS plastic...

·
Registered
470 Posts
The blacked out grill looks great, did you dip the back emblems as well?

I want to black out the grill too, specifically the cross-wings but leave the star chromed so it looks like it is just floating in the middle of the grill.

Reactions: Ctmedic

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The blacked out grill looks great, did you dip the back emblems as well?

I want to black out the grill too, specifically the cross-wings but leave the star chromed so it looks like it is just floating in the middle of the grill.
Thanks! I de-badged the rear, but have not plasti-dipped the rear. Still contemplating that move.

I posted some pics of my grill plasti-dipped and the emblem still chrome somewhere on here.... ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I posted some pics of my grill plasti-dipped and the emblem still chrome somewhere on here.... ;)
Sweet! Got to do some searching, looks like your GLA is modded up nicely!

Was also considering getting it wrapped instead since I want to blacked the chrome strip in the trunk door as well. Plasti-dip is probably the cheaper while also being a safe and fun option.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet! Got to do some searching, looks like your GLA is modded up nicely!

Was also considering getting it wrapped instead since I want to blacked the chrome strip in the trunk door as well. Plasti-dip is probably the cheaper while also being a safe and fun option.
That's a great idea, black chrome or maybe even a black carbon fiber wrap on that chrome strip on the liftgate could look nice

·
Registered
36 Posts
Awesome, I was actually planning on doing this. JUST got a GLA250 4Matic in night black on Wednesday and was doing some googling.

Question - why didn't you just pop off the skid plate and plastidip it separately? Is it difficult to remove?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome, I was actually planning on doing this. JUST got a GLA250 4Matic in night black on Wednesday and was doing some googling.

Question - why didn't you just pop off the skid plate and plastidip it separately? Is it difficult to remove?
It really was no hassle at all just masking and getting on the ground and spraying. Took about 2 hours, pretty simple really. Just make sure to do a LOT of coats and let them dry for a solid 10 minutes between coats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts