Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after taking delivery of my GLA this week I'm lost as to where and how to mount my iPhone.

In my Audi I was able to use a Bracketron Universal mount onto the air vent which was perfect.

Grip-iT Vent Mount | Bracketron

In other cars I've successfully gotten away with using a Kenu Airframe.

Kenu Airframe - Kenu

Neither of those work in the GLA due to the design of the air vents and now I have no where to mount my iPhone.

Just wondering what everyone else is doing, please post a photo if you have any!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Get one that attaches to the cig lighter, it'll mount a bit lower but I think it will work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mediabridge + Rokform case

So, I think I've found a great solution - but that's for my requirements. YMMV.

I use Rokform cases - they're extremely durable, and have a magnet mount, as well as a twist-on. (I use this for motorcycling and bicycling.) I personally find them to be the most functional case on the market.

I took a Mediabridge cupholder mount with arm extension option and mated it with a stick-on magnetic dot that came with my Rokform case.

Now I just magnet my phone on when I get in the car, and it's right at my fingertips while using the armrest. Picture demonstrates an ideal angle for the extension. It also leaves my main cupholder free.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Koomus or Satechi CD slot mounts work great on GLA

Just bought the koomus CD-AIR smartphone car mount for CD slot, works great, holds phone in perfect position. (I already had the Satechi and gave it to my wife).

The only issue is that it needs to be inserted upside down because the radio dial on the GLA gets in the way, but it says it's meant to be inserted either way.

19.99 at amazon

Satechi CD-M5 is virtually identical, same price.

The only difference between the koomus and the satechi is, I believe, that the koomus is a rubbery matte black and the satechi is shiny plastic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I found a post on a CLA forum for the ProClip mount system. Thought I'd give it a shot based on some positive reviews and I must say it's living up to it's positivity so far.

The mount is really sturdy and clips right into behind the vent adjuster.

Attachments

Reactions: RSM

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I found a post on a CLA forum for the ProClip mount system. Thought I'd give it a shot based on some positive reviews and I must say it's living up to it's positivity so far.

The mount is really sturdy and clips right into behind the vent adjuster.
Thanks for posting these! I've had ProClip brackets in all my previous vehicles, but was hesitant about blocking what amounts to the wife's vent. I ordered the cupholder mount as mentioned in an earlier post, but after seeing what this looks like I'll probably wind up ordering a ProClip anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the EverDock Go in black. It sits in the front cup holder. I have a short black iPhone extension cable that connects to the cable in the armrest - you don't see the cable. It looks great when there is no phone docked. Phone looks great and easy to view/access when docked. The dock did not stick well at first, I had to use a weight on it overnight to get good adhesion and also placed a spacer (which you cannot see) to keep the dock firm in the hole.

http://fuzdesigns.com/pages/EverDockGo

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a cupholder mount and then about a week later I started hearing an odd squeak/rattle. Took the car into the dealership thinking it wasn't the cup holder mount. Low and behold they heard the squeaking and found the cupholder base to rub off some type of mounting material that made it eventually squeak. MB replaced the cup holders and I stopped using the phone mount. I have no more problems and now I'm using a satechi cd slot mount for my LG g3. Only problem with the Satechi is that it blocks the keypad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Curious, TwoAlpha - I've got an iPhone 6+, but again - I'm not using the provided cradle - I'm using the magnetic dot from a Rokform kit. I haven't had any issues with this approach.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Okra-Universal-Magnetic-Smarthphones-Devices/dp/B00P2SC6BQ[/ame]

This is the best phone mounting product in my opinion. You do not have to stick anything to the back of your phone. You can insert a sheet of metal between your phone and case and it will mount to the magnet. Great reviews all around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your great suggestions led me to this...

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. I love that idea of magnetic phone holders... clean, functional, and less bulky; however that glass and vent attachments look sloppy. The CD inserts were also great, but the bottom adjustment knob ruins the sleek look. So... this is what I made with $12 (Ebay), a Dremel, and a little 3M double sided tape. The matte black matches the COMMAND buttons and the MB fob aluminum sticker makes it look OEM. More importantly, I can still access all my COMMAND buttons when the phone is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. I love that idea of magnetic phone holders... clean, functional, and less bulky; however that glass and vent attachments look sloppy. The CD inserts were also great, but the bottom adjustment knob ruins the sleek look. So... this is what I made with $12 (Ebay), a Dremel, and a little 3M double sided tape. The matte black matches the COMMAND buttons and the MB fob aluminum sticker makes it look OEM. More importantly, I can still access all my COMMAND buttons when the phone is attached.

Dude, this looks awesome! :eek::)

Want to elavorate a bit more on all the different parts you used to make this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Easier than it sounds

Thanks. Since everything was so cheap, you may want to buy 2 of everything for trial and error.

Items bought:
1) $5.63 for Set of 2 Mercedes New Key Fob Remote Self Adhesive Stickers 14 Mm | eBay
2) $6.30 for Car CD Slot Mount Mobile Phone Magnetic Holder for iPhone 6 5 Samsung Handsfree | eBay

Items I already had:
Dremel with emery cut off wheel
3M Double Sided tape (5lb, but I assume that’s overkill)
*3/4" drill press (see IMPORTANT note below)
Expired Chick-Fil-A gift card

1) CD Mount Magnetic Holder: Use Dremel with emery cut off wheel to saw off nut and nut housing for bottom adjustment screw. The screw is used to raise the middle lip to create a friction mount in the CD slot. We will use plastic card shims to create that space instead of the screw.
2) Using an old gift card or something similar, slide 3 pieces between the top and bottom lip and trim the excess cards. Essentially, use the cards as shims to create the friction mount instead of the screw.
3) Test the fit in your CD slot. I only had to use 1 Chick-Fil-A gift card cut into 3 pieces.
4) If there is enough friction, then remove the CD Mount Magnetic Holder, and take the magnetic head off the neck by unscrewing the plastic collar to prepare for the MB FOB sticker placement.
5) Using 3M Double Sided tape, adhere the MB FOB sticker to the center of the magnetic head. Reattached the head to the neck of the CD Mount Magnetic Holder.

*IMPORTANT: If you want to use the MB FOB sticker (I think it makes it look more OEM-ish), you may have to cut a hole in your phone case for clearance of the MB FOB sticker. You will know what I mean once you see the thickness of the aluminum MB FOB sticker. The metal plate will be placed between your phone and phone case. See attached pictures.

It's pretty easy to figure out once you have all the pieces in front of you. Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.