Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the only car I have seen that did not have a passenger side button to unlock the car doors... Say the wife wants to wait in the car while you run into Starbucks, she has to lean over to lock the doors from the driver's side door. Same business to unlock and let you back in.

Any easy mod to this?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Based on the fact there is the interior plate housing the door lock and seat position controls on the drivers side and that plate is left side specific thus no plate available for the passenger side, then it would not be a easy mod. Suggest as an alternative that you or wife carry the extra fob and use that to lock/unlock.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wonder if you can order parts for a RH drive car and retrofit your passenger door. It would be a lot of work but would be the best looking solution. I think for the expense, leaning over the the best solution.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes it is a pain for the exact reason you mentioned, the wife waiting in the car and wanting to lock the doors for safety. This is not the only car, I previously had 4 Porsches and they had only one button but it was conveniently located in the upper section of the dashboard right in the middle. Considering that they do have available the plates for right hand and left hand vehicles they certainly should have included buttons on both sides, especially for what I have, a GLA45AMG that cost over $60K. Just a cheap move on MB's part in my opinion.
If anyone tries the conversion please let us know how easy it is but I'd bet it involves a lot of special order parts and tons of wiring as the wiring loom for a right hand and left hand card is not exactly the same.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Don't have the car yet but how about the Manuel site pins? Does locking the car via passenger door pin lock or unlock the whole car? Some of my old cars did that

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Don't have the car yet but how about the Manuel site pins? Does locking the car via passenger door pin lock or unlock the whole car? Some of my old cars did that
My C-Class cars had that, but my 2016 GLA each pin or knob is independent. Like others I had not noticed this until it came up in the forum. Does seem to be a MB design oversight.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A side effect of this (at least on 2016 models with Keyless Go) is that you cannot lock the car without having the key nearby.
For example, my wife comes back from shopping and goes inside the house with the car key in her purse. I finish unloading the car but cannot lock it unless I go get the key first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A side effect of this (at least on 2016 models with Keyless Go) is that you cannot lock the car without having the key nearby.
For example, my wife comes back from shopping and goes inside the house with the car key in her purse. I finish unloading the car but cannot lock it unless I go get the key first.
even if you do it from the driver door lock button? i understand the keyless Go portion wouldnt work since you need to have the key in the vicinity outside of the car.. but i figure the old school method should still work?

·
Registered
172 Posts
even if you do it from the driver door lock button? i understand the keyless Go portion wouldnt work since you need to have the key in the vicinity outside of the car.. but i figure the old school method should still work?
Even from the driver's door lock button, I cannot lock the whole car without the key nearby.
Check if you can lock your car without the key on you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What cracks me up is the passenger side seat memory. Really? But yet no unlock//lock button. Someone in the buttons department was asleep the week the GLA came through!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I mentioned this to the sales person when we test drove the car. He said all MB cars are like this. I've never had another one and didn't go checking other cars in the showroom so can't confirm.

·
Registered
816 Posts
For US spec cars… the CLA, GLA and GLC (all model variants) no not have the lock/unlock buttons on the passenger side. Starting with the C Class on up and GLE on up all have the said buttons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I mentioned this to the sales person when we test drove the car. He said all MB cars are like this. I've never had another one and didn't go checking other cars in the showroom so can't confirm.
I owned a 1997 CLK and the door lock was on middle console near radio... Not always ideal but better than on only one side.

·
Registered
149 Posts
For my 2017 GLA 250, there is an option in car settings to let front passenger to open the door from inside even if it is locked. Combined with another option, it can also unlock all door simply by open the front door.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts