Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a GLA250 4matic soon. I'm wondering if anyone uses parktronic feature. Also, do you have any features that you're glad to have included in the purchase?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a GLA250 4matic soon. I'm wondering if anyone uses parktronic feature. Also, do you have any features that you're glad to have included in the purchase?
Welcome to the GLA forum, kerim!

I very much appreciate the Driver Assistance Package...Blind Spot Assist, Distronic Plus, and Lane Keeping Assist. I also have come to almost exclusively use the review camera when backing, it is that good (but not perfect!).

After two months I have developed a high level of confidence in Distronic Plus with it's speed adjusting and braking features. When activated, in addition to its advanced speed control and distance features, just put the brake on "hold" at a stop or light, all you have to do is pull the "Resume" on the speed control lever and the car comes out of Eco-Stop (if engaged) and smoothly releases the brake to accelerate without touching a pedal. I am amazed by it.

The other one that was a must for us was Keyless Go, which is more robust than the standard equipment Keyless Start. That essentially allows you to open anything without a key fob in your hand...a wonderful safety feature for women not having to dig into their purses.

Judging from some posts on this forum, many members regret not getting the bi-xenon lighting system. You'll see some threads here on retrofitting or upgrading.

Some of the add-ons are pricey, but I already regret one I didn't get...Parktronic. Not for the parking, but for the extra sensors. Not sure I'm ready for auto-parking.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've become so used to senors and tonal cues when backing up with my BMW that this was a must for me in my GLA order. Its too bad that you cant subtract the auto parking feature. 1000 for sensors is a bit ridiculous.

As turbolink said, bi-xenon is a must and silly that its not standard on all mercedes

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've become so used to senors and tonal cues when backing up with my BMW that this was a must for me in my GLA order. Its too bad that you cant subtract the auto parking feature. 1000 for sensors is a bit ridiculous.

As turbolink said, bi-xenon is a must and silly that its not standard on all mercedes
Exactly right...$1000 is why we don't have it. But looking back, I regret it. I actually did not realize the sensors were part of the Parktronic package, so it was my bad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Kerim,

I've tested the Parktronic feature in my 2015 GLA250 and it works like a dream. When I first got the car I would use it all the time just because it was something new and automated.

Nowadays I only really use it for really tight reverse park manurers. That and when there's traffic waiting for me to reverse park I just let the car do it to save time and effort.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, the dealer does not have anything with distronic, park assist, carplay, bi xenon... Only 2 left in the usa and they are all white... Since our car got totaled I either buy a white one or buy something else... :(

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hard to believe only 2 in US, have you checked the MB locator or just what the dealer told you? Tell your insurance company to rent you a car until what you want is avail. Bixenon is a must for me, parktronic is a toss up, I like the sensors but only used the autopsrking once to test it, just don't trust how close it comes to the curb. When I asked deal that if it scraped a wheel on the curb if they'd warranty it and he said no, end of discussion. None of those items are retrofitsble, even the headlights, so get what you want from factory.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It took me a while to actually get to properly start using parktronic and i must admit i struggled somewhat. I think the following is useful to bear in mind:

a. For parallel parking, i have to drive a few metres past the parking spot before i get the notification that it has detected a parking spot. This is much further along than i would go if i was manually parking the vehicle myself. That said, the vehicle does a great job of actually parking.

b. I usually park on the passenger side of the road so i dont think i need to indicate, however, if you are planning on parking on the driver side of the road, then you need to indicate (right indicator in the UK and left in europe and US i presume). As a general rule of thumb because of point a above, i always indicate while it is looking for a spot just to warn any vehicles in the vicinity about my intentions.

c. In autumn especially when there are leaves on the road covering the kerb it sometimes can mount the curb but this is understandable.

d. The car usually leaves a generous space from the kerb of around 5 to 6 inches and i live on a narrow road in the UK and therefore tweak the parking after manually. i've got no issues at all with this.

e. The car will accelerate and brake itself, though, i usually lightly brake while it is performing the maneuver as it does it really swiftly and turns into the spot very close to the car ahead ! The first time i used it, i forgot that i need to keep my foot on the brake before changing gear (the car was stationary as it braked itself) and i couldnt engage drive (rookie error ofcourse as i normally drive manual transmission cars prior to this one and had no idea what i was doing).

f. Just in case, engage parking break after it has parked though i think it may do this automatically?

g. let it steer and keep your hands clear of the steering wheel as otherwise it will cancel the park assist mid flow! this happened once when i had just got the car and wasnt sure at all about its dimensions! So i had to drive off and find another spot.

In summary, it is a great feature and i love it. It may take a while to get used to it, but it's a favourite feature. Clearly S and E class mercs have full remote parking vs basic A class parktronic but it is still really good in its stripped down A class entry level form.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have tested it or "tried" to test it a few times and it either not worked or it was not obvious how it worked, glad you hear you got it sussed. Don't like the idea that it can mount the kerb though

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes very good point with the kerb mounting, i think luckily the only time it happened was in autumn when the leaves pretty much formed a thick layer over the kerb so that it was obscured. It never normally kerb mounts other than in that instance so far. (I've probably mounted the kerb more times while driving!! I think ive mounted the kerb around 4 times while avoiding oncoming vehicles when i first got the car)

I reckon i've now used parktronic around 40 times at least. The key is that for some reason it notifies me quite a bit after i've passed the target spot. I think the point at which it gives me the indication is once the whole car including the back end have gone past the spot. When i reverse park, i normally stop when my back wheels have reached the end of the vehicle in front of the spot.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Its nice for the car to start the process, (its not that i cant do it myself) but i Eagle eye the side mirrors to see how close the wheels are getting..... usually i abort and take over when it get too close to the sidewalk, hahaha... havnt had the chance to use it to get out, the cars infront and behinds keeps leaving before i return

1 - 11 of 11 Posts