Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am so disappointed! I finally got my GLA back from getting the sunroof rails replaced and I should have known this was a crappy job when I picked up the car and there were dirty handprints all over my white headliner and visor. Ugh. The service advisor came out with some cleaner and sprayed/wiped it and it looks better but I can see where all the dirt just got moved around. I am so, so careful with my beige interior. I was disgusted with the shop already before I left the parking lot. I mean, if that's the level of attention to detail by their techs, what type of quality can I expect from a repair???

I got home and things are just going from bad to worse. The thing that started all this weeks ago was it wouldn't close evenly all the time and seemed uneven from side to side. Well, take a look at these photos! When it's open, one side is raised 2" and the other only 1 5/8". It is still not closing evenly. Inside the car, the headliner doesn't seem to be on as tight as it used to be and the A Pillar doesn't meet up on each side evenly on the inside of the car. When closed, the two pieces of glass are flush on one side but not the other.

Wow. THIS is what I bought a Mercedes for? I never had such a bad experience at Audi, and I used to get work done on my previous cars at Firestone and Tires Plus and no one ever did such shoddy work!

OK, so can you all confirm with me that a 3/8" difference in the height from one side to the other is not normal? And, what's the trick to getting your sunroof to close without just popping the back vent back up? I keep fiddling with the switch and maybe 1 time in 5 it actually closes. Most of the time the back just pops up instead. That's what started this whole thing. So, I think I'm where I started except now I have a very dingy looking headliner.

And in case anyone is wondering, the dealership is EuroMotorcars of Devon, PA.

_

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
Not all service people are equal in a shop. For AMG owners MB is supposed to assign your car to a specifically trained (for AMG) tech. I mention that as an example that there are different training levels.

I would talk to your service advisor and ask to interview the tech they will be assigning to your car. Show him all of your worries. Have a written list to leave with him. Insist on a loaner car and tell them to keep yours as long as they need to make it right. Examine the car before driving away, ideally with the tech or the service advisor.

I keep a three ring binder for each of my cars. This stores all the purchase and service records. I also keep special details like instructions for servicing the transmission and rear diff. It includes sales brochures and magazine reviews. One section is for receipts. In other words, these binders are complete and significant. They help with resale or trade in but that is secondary. When you walk in with a thorough record of your car it gets attention quickly and by showing interest you're more likely to get professional service rather than the new and inexperienced kid. By reviewing the work you also get to show the tech your appreciation which can go a long way in the future. These people do remember you.

Anyway, I've allowed myself to get waaaay too long winded on this topic. Good luck with getting this made right.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wayne,

Yes! I had a big crazy file like that for my Audi, right down to the original sales brochures and Car & Driver reviews! I think the shop that bought it from me thought I was a little bit nutty when I presented them with the file. So glad to hear I am not the only one! It'll probably be more digital than paper now, but maybe having it on hand for service techs will help to make a statement of, "yeah, I am THAT kind of nutty about my car...so don't assign your B-team just because I'm a girl and I drive one of the the cheapest MBs made!". Women get treated terribly by mechanics and service advisors. I have lots of anecdotes about that.

I am wondering, b/c this is under CPO warranty, can I just take it to another dealer? I have been nothing but disappointed and unimpressed by this dealer. The dealer where I bought it is more than an hour away, but they seemed very professional and well-equipped. I would gladly drive hours to avoid having another hack tearing apart my car!

Thanks for the advice. I hope this is an anomaly and not a preview of coming attractions!

Christine

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
I once made the mistake of picking up my Audi in the rain and therefore not noticing a significant gouge in the passenger doorsill-skirt from a tech removing the seat without help and scraping same. By the time I noticed I wouldn't have been able to prove it so repaired it myself.
Another time the tech left a Coke can in the holder and I never even allowed myself/family food/drink in that car. I did point that out!
I stopped having them wash the car too as the hard water spots were just more work for me. Cleaning their handprints, etc. became commonplace for me. They had to notice how pristine I too kept not only the interior/exterior but also the engine bay (as their 'work environment') and yet ....
Luxury vehicles alas don't necessarily mean that you get any better tech's than lesser marques.
I do empathize Christine and hope in the end they make this right for you. And Yes, you can always take it to another dealer and probably should at this point despite the much longer drive hassle. That is, if they are truly better. Regrettably I've not seen dramatic differences in my area. :(
Wayne,

Yes! I had a big crazy file like that for my Audi, right down to the original sales brochures and Car & Driver reviews! I think the shop that bought it from me thought I was a little bit nutty when I presented them with the file. So glad to hear I am not the only one! It'll probably be more digital than paper now, but maybe having it on hand for service techs will help to make a statement of, "yeah, I am THAT kind of nutty about my car...so don't assign your B-team just because I'm a girl and I drive one of the the cheapest MBs made!". Women get treated terribly by mechanics and service advisors. I have lots of anecdotes about that.

I am wondering, b/c this is under CPO warranty, can I just take it to another dealer? I have been nothing but disappointed and unimpressed by this dealer. The dealer where I bought it is more than an hour away, but they seemed very professional and well-equipped. I would gladly drive hours to avoid having another hack tearing apart my car!

Thanks for the advice. I hope this is an anomaly and not a preview of coming attractions!

Christine

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
CPOs are supported via the corporate USA office and are accepted at any dealer. When a claim is made MBUSA pays the dealer. So for the dealer it is found money. Rather than dropping the car off make sure you have an appointment for the A Team. And have an understanding that if something critical pulls the A Team away they should hold your car until they are available again.

And yes, mechanics and service advisors size you up. Your treatment may be affected. And the industry stinks of sexism. All the more reason to go in loaded for bear.

Good luck and please report back.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The service manager at the dealer has been in touch with me. They are coming on Tuesday to pick it up, leave me a loaner, and they assure me they have the expertise in-house to fix it. I feel like I don't even want them driving it, but I know that's just me being possessive and annoyed still. I hope I don't regret this, but I figure I should give them another shot at fixing it. Stay tuned...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts