Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the painted calipers found on the GLA45 AMG will fit on the GLA250? I have an addition one, which means it has 19" wheels, if this makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Does anyone know if the painted calipers found on the GLA45 AMG will fit on the GLA250? I have an addition one, which means it has 19" wheels, if this makes a difference.
Brakes can technically be made to fit 'any' car you want. However, you cannot just replace the 'caliper' on a non-6-pot brake rotor with the incorrect size.

It would be much cheaper/easier to either buy an aftermarket Big Brake kit, or to simply buy cross drilled or dimpled rotors in your exact specs, and then paint the calipers yourself and add Mercedes heat-resistent decals to the brakes.

I would guess the GLA45 AMG brakes are just-as-expensive (if not MORE) than the brakes on my SLK55, which are thousands of dollars to replace.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I'm looking at pics and specs on the edition 1, and it seems simply painting the calipers would be easiest. Use G2 caliper paint. Works great. Add cross drilled rotors for a finished look if you can find them. I'd cross-reference the CLA250 for rotor size most likely.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I bet painting the calipers isn't the hardest thing to do. And you could choose any color you want. Plus there is no much more satisfaction when you do things yourself.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, first, thanks for the suggestions. Second, I have no mechanical ability whatsoever. Therefore, DIY is out of the question. I think the stock calipers on the 250 wouldn't look very good painted. I wish BREMBO made a caliper/rotor kit for the GLA.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
OK, first, thanks for the suggestions. Second, I have no mechanical ability whatsoever. Therefore, DIY is out of the question. I think the stock calipers on the 250 wouldn't look very good painted. I wish BREMBO made a caliper/rotor kit for the GLA.
Brembo does have big brake kits available. Starting around $3500

·
Registered
246 Posts
Its not hard, you don't need mechanical ability. You need arm generated torque to get the wheels off, the calipers require the same, just locate the bracket and bolts (won't be more than a couple), and you'll need time, as in no plans for the day...

you can do it man :D

...or spend $3500 for the look, because in all honesty no GLA250 NEEDS a big brake kit, unless you donk'd it LOL >:D

·
Registered
243 Posts
As far as car mods go I think that painting brake calipers would be something pretty easy to start with. Seems better than spending a ton of money just to get different color calipers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You need arm generated torque to get the wheels off, the calipers require the same, just locate the bracket and bolts (won't be more than a couple), and you'll need time, as in no plans for the day...

I never take off the calipers. Just cover up what you don't want painted (I use tape and aluminum foil), then stand back and spray.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts