Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't clear this code and I am told it may be a fuel leak. Has anyone seen this, if so, where do you even start looking? I really hate to take it to the dealer to fix it. I found that this could be a PCV valve issue.

Thanks!

Jim

Super Moderator
Hi Jim, it can also be as simple as the fuel cap not sufficiently tightened or a bad seal from same. Often least expensive to replace the cap before you investigate further.

However you may want Benz service to use their proprietary OBDII computer interface to give you the greater detail readout that they alone can provide before authorizing any additional work.

If it's the PCV be sure to see the recent related thread and video as very enlightening as to the work and expense required. 馃槙

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the cap, seal looks great, fits great too. I also read the PSV is part of the emissions systems and should carry an additional extended warranty. I guess I should have taken the phones calls offering me a great deal on an extended car warranty!

Registered
Hey Jim, can you smell gas under the hood? I had this problem of smells in the winter, so I tightened up the hose that leads to the fuel pump and all set. Check it out right after driving so you can see if it is wet before it evaporates. That was my case, but no codes. Message me on Facebook for faster replies.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jim, can you smell gas under the hood? I had this problem of smells in the winter, so I tightened up the hose that leads to the fuel pump and all set. Check it out right after driving so you can see if it is wet before it evaporates. That was my case, but no codes. Message me on Facebook for faster replies.
No gas smell, but I'll check all the connenctions and tighten everything up just in case. I did have the crankcase ventilation CEL error in the past and it went away after clearing it and it has not reappeared.

Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Now my car is in limp mode, no loose fittings!!!!

Any suggestions? Not sure I want to drive it to the dealership to repair.

Super Moderator
The dealership might get a kick out of your mods!!!

You changed the down pipe. Did you also change the cat? Any chance of a O2 sensor problem?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealership might get a kick out of your mods!!!

You changed the downpipe. Did you also change the cat? Any chance of a O2 sensor problem?
Yea, I drove it and dropped it off at the dealership yesterday using back roads. I have no CAT, and I still have the downpipe. I'm wondering if that will be a battle with them? I may have to tell them the car is for the track only to get them to work on it. I think both errors are related, hopefully, it's just a sensor.

Super Moderator
For track only but with license plates and you drove it in!!!!! Good luck. Please keep us updated.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For track only but with license plates and you drove it in!!!!! Good luck. Please keep us updated.
Yea, I thought of that, but I dropped it off when they were closed and left the key in the dropbox so they didn't know how it got there. All I have to do is tell them I keep my registration active and I have the other pipe and cat to swap when I take it on the road... They are not idiots and want to take my money any way they can get it. They already called me to approve a $210 "diagnostic" fee just to look at it.

Super Moderator
The diagnostic fee, although a pricey pill to swallow, will provide a much more detailed insight than a commercially available OBDII probe. As we know, Benz keeps a lot of detailed info on their proprietary diagnostic system.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No question about it, I'm hoping for a simple fix, like a clogged fuel filter...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the dealership said when they run the diagnostics, their systems goes haywire due to my tuning. I offered to reset the tune to original and they are contemplating their next move. I called my tuner (100 miles away) and they don't think they can troubleshoot the fuel pressure issue, so now I'm in limbo.

Super Moderator
The risks of taking things to their limits!!! Can you download the original tune or do other mods preclude that?

Good luck with the next phase.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The risks of taking things to their limits!!! Can you download the original tune or do other mods preclude that?

Good luck with the next phase.
I have the original code and want to install it, awaiting the dealership to respond. Their systems said all numbers on the ECU were WAY out of wack and they couldn't begin to figure out where to start looking for the Fuel pressure problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the dealer just called me back and the tech took another stab at it. He said the codes were a one-time-only occurrence in the ECU and they chalked it up to an anomaly. I don't like anomalies. They said it's running just fine and everything is good to go, with no repairs or work performed other than clearing the codes. Not sure I call it good news...

Super Moderator
There's nothing worse for a service person than to find an intermittent problem. Ugh!!!

Super Moderator
It was nice that they were persistent, going back for another try. But that leaves me wondering what was different the second time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ugg, got home, it runs fine, the CEL came back on after 30 min driving, same single 2187 code. Reloaded the original ECU load, error came right back there too. Going to work with Weistech tomorrow and see what they can find from the MB dealer logs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wesitech says it could be a bad HPFP, going to do some more logging later today. Orignal ECU load SUCKS... I want my power back!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts